Roseanne, Barred

The view inside Disney, according to sources, was that Tuesday was the third or fourth time when Barr’s tweets had presented a problem for ABC. This controversy was by far the worst yet.

Tuesday’s racist and bizarre tweets were “unsurvivable,” one of the sources said. “Enough was enough.”

So when Tuesday’s tweets stirred outrage, the question within ABC quickly became, “Is there a path forward?”

In other words, would any apology by Barr or sanction by ABC be sufficient?

The answer was no. By 9 a.m. Pacific time, it was clear to the virtually assembled executives that the sitcom would be canceled.

“There was no way to come back from this,” one of the sources said.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m surprised ABC hired her on in the first place. Even before the Roseanne reboot, her behaviour on Twitter was very erratic and controversial. Perhaps they were hoping it would go away or they would even get away with it by looking in the other direction.
Nonetheless, they made the right decision. She already had enough chances and she wasted them all.

1 Like

She is entitled to free speech but not entitled to consequence-free speech.

4 Likes

Which is exactly what I was eluding to in the above post. About time we see repercussions.

Given the numbers for the show, I do think another network will be wanting to use her again one day down the track.

I know this is a huge risk, but imagine the novelty of recasting the character. Could another actress play it?

Roseanne has been cancelled.

That’s a swift but understandable reaction.

She’s vile. I feel sorry for the people that lost their jobs because of her actions .

5 Likes

The show is being taken off air by some cable networks in the US.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see what action Ten takes, if any, with the new episodes airing on Sunday nights and then reruns of earlier seasons on ELEVEN given what has happened overnight.

I’d say they’ll just screen what they have paid for but won’t extend any contracts beyond that.

As per tenDaily:

1 Like

That is sad that Australian audiences will not be able to see the remaining episodes of the current season of Roseanne. Hopefully they will be shown on a later date.

2 Likes

Sure, if they source them by other means but I doubt the network will be replaying them at any point. I don’t think it’s sad at all, people will be annoyed by fact that ten delayed screening them so we weren’t up to date with the US but given her comments I think Ten have made the right call.

1 Like

It’s quite a pity. The reboot was excellent. Maybe needs to be viewed with a bit of distance from the current events to appreciate.

3 Likes

Surprised Ten has pulled the plug on it - one wonders if they would have in the pre-CBS days. Most Australians aren’t exactly going to care too much about some careless tweets and would just watch the remaining episodes for what they are.

They should have just left it in its slot but cut back the advertising for it.

1 Like

Disagree people will be disgusted by her racist tweet.
I loved this re-boot the writing was brilliant, it’s so sad that her actions has now tarnished the actual show.
I do think the floodgates will now be opened on her behaviour.

I don’t see why it would be any different. I doubt CBS is influencing such day to day decisions now. It’s Ten management that have made this decision. Why do we have to constantly refer to the owners in regards to management of Ten?

4 Likes

Hopefully this decision can be reversed, is one tweet worth cancelling a show over these days?

I feel for Sara Gilbert, John Goodman, Laurie Metcalfe, et al who will now be tarnished as a result through no fault of their own.