Roseanne, Barred

Certain descriptive language with racist connotations is always going to be off limits (especially in the US), no questions asked. She would have known this signing with a network for this season and I have no doubt her contract would mention that if she fucks up once on social media she’s out the door.

1 Like

I don’t think that tweet was an isolated incident

2 Likes

Well that is what the media reports are reporting.

She is entitled to freedom of speech but good on ABC for standing up for their core values and not allowing these sorts of racists to get away with making such horrific comments. About bloody time!

1 Like

Happy to be corrected here, but I believe Ten acquired Roseanne through their CBS output deal? ABC is just a financier and the US broadcaster.

I don’t believe so, no.

1 Like

I had a look on the Freeview TV website and notice that a repeat of Roseanne on 11 was scheduled on Wednesday 6 June 2018 at 7PM after Neighbours. Is that about to change or not?

Yes, this will be updated. Ten has dropped the show completely, effective immediately.

1 Like

All content has now been removed from TenPlay.

its scheduled for tonight as well

1 Like

She went on a bizarre twitter tirade targeting Valarie Jarett, Chelsea Clinton, George Soros, filled in right-wing conspiracy theories and racist overtones. Well done to ABC and Network Ten for standing on the high ground and axing the show

4 Likes

I wonder if someone is sitting on Trump’s thumbs at the moment stopping him from responding.

2 Likes

Internationally, CBS licence it

RE: Ten (attached doc is from CBS Television Distribution’s website, you’ll notice other Ten re-run shows also listed on that page alone).

On Air, the website you linked, I think is referring to the US only (where Disney ABC have licencing rights, before reverting to the production company after a year). The writer seemed unsure about the rights handling anyway.

Other websites also confirm CBS handle Roseanne’s worldwide TV distribution.

Anyway, now back to On Air’s original query, safe to assume the answer is no, as CBS 1) own Ten 2) already provide stacks of first and re-run programs for the network.

The view inside Disney, according to sources, was that Tuesday was the third or fourth time when Barr’s tweets had presented a problem for ABC. This controversy was by far the worst yet.

Tuesday’s racist and bizarre tweets were “unsurvivable,” one of the sources said. “Enough was enough.”

So when Tuesday’s tweets stirred outrage, the question within ABC quickly became, “Is there a path forward?”

In other words, would any apology by Barr or sanction by ABC be sufficient?

The answer was no. By 9 a.m. Pacific time, it was clear to the virtually assembled executives that the sitcom would be canceled.

“There was no way to come back from this,” one of the sources said.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m surprised ABC hired her on in the first place. Even before the Roseanne reboot, her behaviour on Twitter was very erratic and controversial. Perhaps they were hoping it would go away or they would even get away with it by looking in the other direction.
Nonetheless, they made the right decision. She already had enough chances and she wasted them all.

1 Like

She is entitled to free speech but not entitled to consequence-free speech.

4 Likes

Which is exactly what I was eluding to in the above post. About time we see repercussions.

Given the numbers for the show, I do think another network will be wanting to use her again one day down the track.

I know this is a huge risk, but imagine the novelty of recasting the character. Could another actress play it?

Roseanne has been cancelled.

That’s a swift but understandable reaction.