Riptide

Network 10, Fremantle Australia And The UK’s Channel 5 Announce Next Drama Commission.

Drama Series Riptide To Be Filmed in Australia.

Network 10 and the UK’s Channel 5 have once again joined forces to co-produce Riptide, a premium, primetime thriller to be filmed in Australia, starring cherished Australian actors Peter O’Brien, Pia Miranda and Ally Fowler, plus acclaimed UK actor, Jo Joyner.

Produced by Fremantle Australia, the four-part series was created by Jason Herbison, whose credits include executive producer of the much-loved soap Neighbours and acclaimed mini-series Lie With Me, which quickly became a global success now screening in 85 territories.

Production will start on Riptide this month with renowned actor Jo Joyner, revered for her roles in many UK series including EastEnders, Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators and Stay Close, in the lead role of Alison.

Joining Jo Joyner is English actor Ciaran Griffiths (Ghost Seekers, Shameless), Australian actors Peter O’Brien (Neighbours, Winter, Unusual Suspects), Ally Fowler (Neighbours, Wentworth), Pia Miranda (Mustangs FC, Wentworth), David Berry (A Place Called Home, Outlander), rising stars Benny Turland (Neighbours, Home and Away), Asher Yasbincek (The Heights), Yazeed Dahar (The Hunting, Safe Harbour) and newcomers Sonya Suares and Benjamin Samaddar.

Filmed in Melbourne, Alison’s life is plunged into despair when her new Australian husband vanishes after a morning surf. Did he get caught in a dangerous riptide, or is there more to his disappearance than meets the eye?

The gripping thriller will be directed by Australia Directors’ Guild Award recipient, Scott Major (Lie With Me, Neighbours) and Natalie Mandel (Lie With Me, Wanted) is on board as producer. Riptide is the first of two Fremantle Australia drama series commissioned by Channel 5 and Network 10 in 2022. Details of the second series will be released later this year.

Daniel Monaghan, SVP Content and Programming, Paramount Australia and New Zealand, said: “It is wonderful to be working closely with Channel 5 and Fremantle Australia on this fantastic new drama series. We have a strong and trusted relationship and have produced many stellar drama series together in the past. Riptide will continue that great partnership.”

Jason Herbison, Executive Producer, Fremantle Australia added: “I’m thrilled to continue the partnership with Channel 5 and 10 and to bring Riptide to life. It’s the best of British meeting the best of Australian casts and crews – and I can’t wait for the audience to see what we have in store.”

Greg Barnett, Commissioning Editor, Factual Entertainment, Unscripted, Channel 5 and Paramount+ commented: “Lie With Me proved incredibly popular with our viewers and I’m looking forward to expanding our drama slate even further, working hand in hand with our production partners Fremantle Australia and Network 10. Jo is an incredible talent, and I can’t wait to see what she brings to this role.”

Jo Joyner said: “I am really excited to be working with the fantastic teams at Fremantle, Channel 5 and 10 in Australia, and playing Alison. She is such a warm and layered character whose world is turned upside down, just when it seemed like her life was finally coming together. I am also thrilled to be filming in the fabulous city of Melbourne and surrounding countryside, an area that I have always wanted to explore.”

Riptide will be filmed exclusively in Victoria, Australia and has received financial investment from VicScreen. Fremantle will distribute the series internationally. Casting by Thea McLeod.

3 Likes

Confirmed at upfronts but not given a timeslot.

I’m sure they’ll put it on Paramount+ and then it will end up on 10 sometime in 2024. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Riptide I believe will air on Channel 5 in the UK between xmas and new year

1 Like

Apparently one of Neighbours’ indoor sets was reused for the filming of Riptide. It even got the notice of April Rose Pengilly who played Chloe in the soap.

1 Like

Don’t know why there’s such uproar about it

Because some fans think it’s sacrilege to reuse Neighbours sets.

It is a little bit cheap, but in Fremantle’s defence - realistically how many people are going to notice and care?

1 Like

It’s had a makeover anyway with hideous wallpaper and carpet patterns, a lot of yellow and hideous furnishings. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wonder if we will see new mini dramas such as Riptide and Heat now with Neighbours back in production

1 Like

The reason why Five dropped Neighbours was to produce more shows like Riptide and Heat. I’d say that wouldn’t change for them. I just don’t know if they’ll continue with the co-productions with Ten, considering Ten haven’t even bothered to screen Riptide yet or even put it on Paramoun+.

1 Like

A Marriage. A Mystery. A Murder?

All New Australian Drama Riptide Premieres Wednesday, 28 June At 8.40pm On 10 And 10 Play.

Filmed exclusively in Victoria in the picturesque coastal district of Mount Eliza and the leafy Dandenong Ranges, Riptide traces the life of newlywed single mum Alison (Jo Joyner) who marries the older and wealthier Sean (Peter O’Brien) and moves into a gorgeous home by the ocean, along with her teenage daughter Hannah (Asher Yasbincek). But there’s tension, too. Sean’s adult son, Ethan (Benny Turland), is against the marriage.

Despite the obstacles, the happy couple are determined to navigate a future together, until tragedy strikes. Alison’s life is plunged into despair when her husband vanishes after a morning surf. Did he get caught in a dangerous riptide – or is there more to his disappearance than meets the eye?

Acclaimed UK actors Jo Joyner (Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private Investigators, Eastenders, Ackley Bridge, Stay Close) and Ciarán Griffiths (Coronation Street, Shameless, The Bill), join two-time Logie-Award winning Peter O’Brien (Neighbours, Tidelands, GLOW), David Berry (A Place to Call Home, Outlander), Benny Turland (Neighbours), Asher Yasbincek (Heartbreak High, The Wilds) and Ally Fowler (Wentworth, Neighbours, All Saints) in this four part primetime thriller, Riptide, which premieres on Wednesday 28 June at 8.40pm on 10 and 10 Play.

The cast also includes rising star Yazeed Daher (The Heights, The Hunting, Safe Harbour), and newcomer Benjamin Samaddar.

Created, written and produced by Jason Herbison (Neighbours, Lie With Me, Always Greener) and directed by Australia Directors’ Guild Award recipient, Scott Major (Lie With Me, Neighbours) with writing from Margaret Wilson, Anthony Ellis (Wentworth, McLeod’s Daughters, Stingers) and Natalie Mandel (Neighbours, Wanted, Packed to the Rafters) with intimacy coordinator Michala Banas (Wentworth, The Newsreader, Deadloch).

About time they got around to screening it.

1 Like

The final two episodes will be shown on Wednesday, July 12 from 8.30pm.

Ten’s scheduling is all over the place. Why screen Riptide as a double that week and drop So Help Me Todd for a week?

Why didn’t they just start Riptide last week and screen it for four weeks in a row?

They started So Help Me Todd the week before at 9.40pm. Then last week it was a double episode from 8.40pm. Back to 9.40pm for two weeks and the dropped for a week. :roll_eyes: No consistency.

2 Likes

That promo end tag - the title of show gets lost completely,

Weds June 28 and 10 logo dominates

new aussie drama leads

the actual title of the show is impossible to make out

bad design

1 Like