Regional Radio Ratings

www.4lm.com.au doesn’t even have a website. It just redirects to their Facebook page.

This is as bad as a Caralis station.

4 Likes

According to this article (dated 2017, from former 4LM owner Brad Smart), 4LM has become over reliant on Sydney-based talkback. Not sure if it is still the same situation today.

6 Likes

Correct @TelevisionAU, It’s pretty much the same today, swathes of 2GB talkback and MMM overnight. Same on weekends.

A vast departure from the Brandt family’s ownership during the Color Radio era. Queensland owned, a true training ground for industry entrants, local content, relevant content that connected with locals.

Now run on less than half the smell of an oily rag, a big shame. Dobson and Morris duos claim the drought is the reason they don’t invest further. No presence in town, no marketing or promotion.

5 Likes

do you we know when the Ballarat survey is due?

1 Like

@JasonF Nothing this year, CRA have given up on 2020.

4 Likes

https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/2021s-first-regional-survey-result-released-tomorrow

Regional radio surveys will resume in 2021 following a hiatus last year with the results for the Western Australian city of Geraldton to be the first to be released on March 9.

25 surveys are planned for the year with other major centres to be surveyed this year to include Hobart, Darwin, Townsville, Gosford, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba and Shepparton.

4 Likes

Some regional WA markets like Geraldton are interesting because there is virtually NO overspill from adjacent markets, and in Geraldton’s case, I don’t think they have a community radio station at the moment either?

3 Likes

Toowoomba is always a bit interesting. Only 1 local FM, 3 AM’s and River 94.9 a quasi local station.

6 Likes

And in some parts of the licence area, you have Rebels and Breezes to contend with, though I don’t imagine they will make any difference.

2 Likes

By a similar token, this year’s Gosford (Central Coast) would certainly be interesting for a number of reasons:

• It will be the first survey conducted since 2GO became Triple M & Sea FM became Hit 101.3 back in November 2019.

• Hit 101.3 no longer has a local breakfast show since its breakfast show is now heard on a number of other Hit stations across NSW.

With the above factors in mind, I wouldn’t be surprised if Star 104.5 takes out the #1 spot for this year. Despite being owned by Nova Ent, it does feel more independent & local than Triple M & Hit.

7 Likes

Radio Mama on 100.5, indigenous country music station is still there. Soncity FM on 97.3, the former christian station has shut down.

3 Likes

The first radio ratings for 2021, either metro or regional, has now been released for Geraldton: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/GERALDTON-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT_1.pdf?ext=.pdf

It was last surveyed in March 2018, when Spirit & Red FM were around. They have since been rebranded to Triple M & Hit respectively after SCA have bought the stations from Seven West Media.

Three years later, Hit took the top spot with 27.6% (up 3.1%), with Triple M at 2nd with 26% (down 6.4%), followed by ABC Midwest & Wheatbelt with 20.5% (down 2.3%).

Hit wins the Under 40s, 18-54s & 25-54s, with ABC Midwest & Wheatbelt winning the Over 40s, with Triple M the #1 commercial station in that demo.

10 Likes

I don’t get it. It’s a solus market, absolutely pointless for a market of practically zero.
Xtra Insights must be having a good old giggle

4 Likes

I’m a bit surprised that in a solus market, the two commercials are only getting just over half the audience between them.

I recall in the last Mt Isa survey, another remote market with no overspill, Hit got 52% on their own, though 4LM isn’t very strong there with a lot of Sydney programming.

6 Likes

Like all of the northern WA markets there’s a large Aboriginal population that is completely not catered for by the commercial stations. The local Aboriginal community station would rate very well - far far better than the average community station.

10 Likes

Though Mt Isa has an indigenous station too (4MOB).

4 Likes

The next regional market to have its ratings released is Kingaroy, which was previously surveyed in 2017: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20DAB/KINGAROY-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.pdf?ext=.pdf

Hit 89.1 remains at #1, going up 3.1% to 26.1%, followed by ABC Southern QLD at 13.5% (-2.8) & 4SB at 9.5% (+1.7).

In the demos, Hit is #1 in the under-55s, whilst ABC Southern QLD tops the 55+, with 4SB the #1 commercial station.

The “Other Stations” account for 36.7% of listeners surveyed, up from 35.1% in 2017. Most of that would be towards the local community station, Crow FM.

6 Likes

Yes apparently Crow FM is reaaonably popular from what I hear. Not a huge amount of overspill into Kingaroy either, maybe around the fringes from Zinc/4GY and I’m not sure if Rebel/Breeze from Chinchilla can be heard.

4 Likes

A shame they can’t get the station name right!

3 Likes

Last time when I was in Kingaroy, I could not get any overspill from any of the stations above. I could faintly pick up 4AK and very faintly 4WK and 4GR, that was about it I think.
Crow FM sounded like a commercial station. If you were not a radio nerd, you would just think it is a local commercial station. They played a good mix of music from the 70’s to now. It definitely had a rock edge to it when I was listening.

5 Likes