Regional Radio Ratings

Judging by those Kingaroy ratings, there’s a good chance The Crow is getting more listeners than 4SB.

4 Likes

Is a HPON station called KFM 96.3 Kingaroy still broadcasting? The website and Facebook page are out of date and the streams don’t work.

https://www.radiokfm.com.au/

3 Likes

I’d say certainly.

4 Likes

I’d say not. Becasue there is a community station on that frequency on air in Bundaberg, a bit too close to allow a co-channel broadcast. Used to be called “Senior FM”.

4 Likes

You’d think the numptys at Xtra doing the survey could get this right. Hit has moved up 9MHz on their sheets.

CRA doesn’t check this nor clearly SCA.

Goes to show what lipservice they pay these regional surveys which are really nothing more than phone polls.

5 Likes

The regional surveys are not comparable to metropolitan surveys. If I switched between WSFM, 2GB and KIIS in Sydney at Breakfast then my listening to those different stations for those quarter hours would be counted. In Kingaroy if I switched between Hit, 4SB and ABC during Breakfast only the station that I most listened to would count. 4SB may well have a larger audience than what the survey shows (?).

Source: Regional Radio Audience Measurement Surveys. Tool Kit 2019.

8 Likes

Crow FM seems very popular indeed @Brianc68 .

I don’t find the South Burnett has many compelling reasons for me to tour it (haven’t visited in years, open to suggestions otherwise).

Was briefly in Nanango for 30mins on a loop drive late 2020 and Crow’s signal is great there and east to Manumbar which is the western extremity of Gympie council. Zinc’s reception is good and all along the Jimna Track (Kilcoy - Murgon Road) until you drop considerable altitude south of Jimna towards Kilcoy.

Tried 4GY AM 558. Signal is ok, this was an hour or so before sunset. 4GY’s signal in the 90’s across the South Burnett was fantastic, local station quality in AM stereo in the Kingaroy town centre I recall on a Eurovox AM stereo car radio. As we know, 4GY’s AM TX has been on lower power for some time.

Curiously in Nanango, on an LPON was ID’ing as K FM which is on 96.3 in Kingaroy as a HPON. K FM is likely off the HPON with 8km licensed coverage as licence now owned by SEN. Perhaps online only now. Seemed to be oldies music, older demo than Crow which is more broad based, very commercial sounding, Anna Blatch v/o and many other familiar voices.

Chinchilla Rebel Media is on 180w OD ERP in ACMA’s book:
https://www.acma.gov.au/sites/default/files/2021-01/stations_book_electronic_edition.pdf

Miles Rebel Media 500w OD ERP, ABC is 650w OD ERP. If you look at ABC’s coverage estimate for RN in Miles, you get an idea.

Good on Crow and to a lesser extent K FM for serving locals in a way the out of town commercials do not.

Postscript: KFM is off according Barry & Bernie Dixon’s Facebook, mentions them cleaning out the K FM offices after 24 years.

7 Likes

Next stop, Port Macquarie/Kempsey: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Licence%20Area%20Profiles/update/PORT-MACQUARIE-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT.pdf?ext=.pdf

Triple M remained on top with 31.8% (down 2.8% from 2017), followed by Hit with 21.5% (down 3.1%), JJJ with 13.5% (up 4.6%) & ABC Mid North Coast with 7.7% (down 3.4%). Radio 531/93.5 scored a measly 2.4% share (down 2.3%), beaten by both RN & ABC Classic.

In the demos, Hit is #1 in the under-40s (with JJJ a close 2nd in the 18-24s), with Triple M topping the 40+.

In breakfast, Hit’s networked state-wide program out of the Central Coast managed 24% (down 0.6% from when it had its own local program in 2017), whilst Triple M’s local breakfast with Strawny scored 31.6%. In mornings, John Laws was not only heavily beaten by Ray Hadley (who dominates the timeslot), but was also beaten by RN.

3 Likes

Huge loss for Graeme Gilbert on Radio531 evenings.

4 Likes

I was kind of hoping that Hit 102.3/105.1 would receive a greater loss of audience share at breakfast, after the local Kristi & Bodge show (which I thought was popular even if not at the same levels as Mark “Strawny” Strachan on Triple M) was axed last August in favour of that semi-networked one from Gosford. Maybe the target demographic of Hit really doesn’t care about local content.

For a market with limited listening options, those Radio 531 & FM 93.5 ratings are absolutely horrendous. What more can you say?!

5 Likes

Agree, outrated by Clsssic FM even!

3 Likes

I would suspect stations from neighbouring markets are having an impact. Max FM gets into parts of the region as well as Hit and Triple M from Coffs Coast.

1 Like

The Other Stations account for 15% of listeners surveyed.

4 Likes

While it’s possible that some of the 15% listening to other stations might be on Max 107.3 (although I thought Hit/Triple M Port Mac had a better signal in the Manning Valley than Max does in SCA’s main patch), you’d think community stations like 2WAY-FM and TANK FM would also make up a decent chunk?

4 Likes

Radio531 was a station that used to take a direct music feed from Southern Cross Syndication before it was purchased by the Super Radio Group. I am not surprised that Graeme Gilbert doesn’t rate. He’s show is terrible. Amazingly he has been on 2SM for years and years.
Does Triple M Orange(2GZFM) sister station Hit have a networked breakfast show? It’s a similar sized market.

4 Likes

It’s to my understanding that Graeme Gilbert has been presenting “Talk Tonight” on 2SM + associated regional stations since 2001.

No, all the Regional NSW Hit breakfast shows (except Newcastle) were axed in favour of a networked show in August last year.

4 Likes

He did a stint on 2CC before that. I remember having a old audio tape of a Saturday night music show and it having promos for the Graeme Gilbert breakfast show. I don’t think he was on 2CC for very long.

4 Likes

Early on he was on 3KZ, then went to 2KY. Later he was on 7HT, which coincided with his failure as a Liberal Party candidate at the 1993 federal election.

3 Likes

Wrong election to be pre-selected for. '96 was the one for him. Could you imagine both Gilbert and Abetz representing Tassie at the same time? Wowser land!

4 Likes

Next stop, Roma: http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Surveys%20for%20Regional/ROMA-XTRA-INSIGHTS-PUBLIC-SURVEY-RESULT_1.pdf?ext=.pdf

ABC Southern QLD is #1 with 28%, up 5.5% (and rising from 3rd place) from its 2017 results, whilst Hit 95.1 finished at 2nd place with 23.9%, down 5.8%, followed by 4ZR with 21.6% (down 2.3%).

No demographic breakdowns can be seen on the results.

In breakfast, Hit 95.1 with its networked breakfast program out of Townsville fell to 2nd place with 24%, down 5.1% from 2017 when it had its local (or at least, semi-local) breakfast program, whilst ABC Southern QLD breakfast program was #1 with 29.5% (up 2.2%). Ray Hadley on 4ZR dominated the morning slot with 32.5%, well ahead of ABC (18.5) & Hit (17.8). 4ZR was also #1 in afternoons & drive.

7 Likes