Regional Radio (non-SCA)

Does anyone have a music log of 2LT and Move FM? Interested to know since they are independently owned.

1 Like

Its been a while I went to Lithgow , be interesting to listen how good 2bs FM (95.1 FM) gets into Lithgow town.

2 Likes

Last time I was there when I checked it was weak to moderate strength on the car radio,
Brock was obviously stronger.

The Orange commercial fm where at similar strength.

Move fm gets into Bathurst better then 2BS into Lithgow.

3 Likes

Midwest could apply for a DAB Mux and that may help to bring more coverage into the Blue Mountains, with better sound quality for both Move and 2LT, similar to Wave and Coast FM in Mandurah.

4 Likes

I’ll see if I can grab a recording later this arvo

4 Likes

Here is a short recording showing the issue:

9 Likes

Who programs and schedules music for Move and 2LT?

1 Like

That is god awful

5 Likes

It’s even worse tonight, maybe the network feed in lower volume then normal, but it’s almost unlistenable when there is spoken content.

If the tech thinks this sounds good then I don’t know :melting_face:

6 Likes

Sounds like minimum service level is that of “is it on air?” Ok, that’s good enough.

Didn’t sound like much of a network program either, if SCA pulled their feed, Movs would have to organise their own program.

2 Likes

That’s a lot worse than the one you posted the other day, I’ll be sending him this one on Monday.
I doubt he thinks it sounds good, but not saying it’s going to be simple to track down to the issue.

He did say he’d check the studio next time he was at Lithgow, but he mightn’t have had the chance to get back there yet, & if it’s only the translator sounds like this I doubt it’s a low program level at the studio as it’s unlikely that 107.9 & the translator have different processing settings, so he’ll have to go through every piece of equipment & test what’s going in & what’s coming out, to see if it’s that piece or the next in the chain?

It seems like a logical argument that the program is too low coming out of the studio because someone hasn’t pushed the fader up far enough, but I don’t think it’s that, because if you listen carefully, the audio changes in level (on speech) particularly noticeable in this recording, when the actual voice levels wouldn’t be changing that dramatically, unlike music where you could have a soft spot & then a loud spot.

3 Likes

Agree with this; voice tracks don’t vary all that much.

I think it’s a case of ‘minimal listenership, only nerds complaining, throw it in the too hard basket.’

7 Likes

Had a spin up to the Sunshine Coast for dinner last night and gave Mix FM a listen. Was pleasantly surprised how broad it was and they’re ID’ing as 70s to Now. Seems to be playing more older songs than a few years ago when the oldest songs you’d hear were 80s. I liked the mix of music and the new song blended on nicely

6 Likes

Still too many new songs and safe songs on their playlist however.

1 Like

From 6pm on Saturday nights, Mix FM have Saturday Party, which plays plenty of 70s music on it, with a bit of 60s & 80s thrown in there. Quite unusual for a commercial FM station in 2023, both metro & regional, to be playing predominantly 70s music, even if only for one night a week. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Would they be trying to block Classic Hits Zinc96?

Or maybe they’re worried about it becoming Pure Gold Zinc96?

1 Like

Zinc is on a different licence area (Gympie RA1) to that of Mix FM (Nambour RA1), but given the huge overlap with one another, it’s a possibility.

4 Likes

Zinc 96.1 coverage to anywhere south of the Maroochy river is sub urban reception. EON are not worried about Zinc in the slightest, It has never been a threat.

The reason mix has dated its music is to block Sunshine FM taking away the 45+ audience.

4 Likes

Probably also Salt 106.5. I actually have been sampling them a bit here in Brisbane in the car.

1 Like

It’s probably trivial, but there’s something irksome to me about these God Squadders targeting a general AC audience. They should play mostly Christian Contemporary (CCM) which is what their community of interest is. Salt isn’t the only offender; you’ve got Light 89.9 in Smellbourne which sounds very mainstream AC along with Ultra 106.5 in Hofart. Hope 103.2 in S(hit)ney is a little more CCM but they do love to slip in Howard Jones :wink: Not sure about Sonscreen FM in Perffff.

3 Likes