Regional Radio (non-SCA)

From 6pm on Saturday nights, Mix FM have Saturday Party, which plays plenty of 70s music on it, with a bit of 60s & 80s thrown in there. Quite unusual for a commercial FM station in 2023, both metro & regional, to be playing predominantly 70s music, even if only for one night a week. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Would they be trying to block Classic Hits Zinc96?

Or maybe they’re worried about it becoming Pure Gold Zinc96?

1 Like

Zinc is on a different licence area (Gympie RA1) to that of Mix FM (Nambour RA1), but given the huge overlap with one another, it’s a possibility.

4 Likes

Zinc 96.1 coverage to anywhere south of the Maroochy river is sub urban reception. EON are not worried about Zinc in the slightest, It has never been a threat.

The reason mix has dated its music is to block Sunshine FM taking away the 45+ audience.

4 Likes

Probably also Salt 106.5. I actually have been sampling them a bit here in Brisbane in the car.

1 Like

It’s probably trivial, but there’s something irksome to me about these God Squadders targeting a general AC audience. They should play mostly Christian Contemporary (CCM) which is what their community of interest is. Salt isn’t the only offender; you’ve got Light 89.9 in Smellbourne which sounds very mainstream AC along with Ultra 106.5 in Hofart. Hope 103.2 in S(hit)ney is a little more CCM but they do love to slip in Howard Jones :wink: Not sure about Sonscreen FM in Perffff.

3 Likes

There’s also Pulse 94.1 in the Illawarra, which plays more mainstream AC than either Wave or i98.

Perhaps I might do a log to compare the selected CCM stations around the country. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, my list wasn’t exhaustive and to be fair, not all of our Christian stations are guilty of it. I hear very little (if any) mainstream music on the Rhema and Life FM outlets.

2 Likes

I agree somewhat but if the commercial stations are totally ignoring an audience then I say they should go for it. It might wake up the commercial operators to stop taking listeners for granted.

3 Likes

For those keeping up with the MOVE FM Translator Wentworth Falls audio issue.

I’ve emailed the tech @TheChase’s audio recording from Friday & spoken to him on the phone this morning, he said he’ll, listen to it when he gets back to his workshop later today.

He’s actually at the Lithgow studios today & will investigate things there, he said every time he’s been listening, he hasn’t heard the issue, but he’s just got back from a trip right up & down the NSW coast doing TX works & will be heading out for another 800km drive tomorrow for SKY Racing/2KY doing maintenance at Bathurst, Orange, Mudgee, Dubbo.

He said he has a spare processor up at Mt Lambie, he’ll get it & change out the one at Wentworth Falls to see if that’s where the issue is, but said he mightn’t get up to Mt Lambie for a few days?

All things going well, the issue might be solved by the end of the week?

7 Likes

Tech told me he heard the Move FM audio issue on air himself at 6:30pm last night while he was listening, he thinks it’s a faulty processor at the Wentworth Falls site & he’s going to get the spare from Mt Lambie & replace it to see if that solves the issue.

6 Likes

Thanks @RFBurns this is really interesting to watch this thread and shows the benefit of this forum. Like in the past the DAB repeater issues too. Maybe it doesn’t have a large audience the repeaters but a passing motorist or some locals may just turn off the radio instead or tune into another station.

5 Likes

It looks like the audio suppression issue on 99.5 Move FM has been fixed, their audio levels are still a bit variable but that’s an overall production issue with Move FM from the studio playout.

Ironically there still a little suppression on the extreme lower end of audio, which in my opinion is unnecessary, but that’s what they seem to like.

7 Likes

I wonder why ACE Radio do not take SCA’s weekend programming?

E.g. Weekend Breakfast, Saturday nights from the rest of the Hit Network, and even RnB Friday nights with Mike E & Emma?

They’ve only limited it (for now) to weekday content.

2 Likes

Guys, the Move FM tech rang me last night, he’s replaced the processor at Wentworth Falls, & said to have a good listen now to see if that audio issue is still there or not, he also finished changing the studio feeds over from SCA Sat to SCA Stream, so that should also help with the levels & quality of the incoming SCA programming.

6 Likes

Life FM in Adelaide is a classic for this. I went on a tour of their studio about 5 years ago, and I couldn’t help notice just how commercial the whole place felt.

The first thing I noticed is that the premises are enormous. There are commercial stations in smaller premises. My understanding is that their landlord is very sympathetic to their cause and charges a peppercorn rent.

In their on-air studio, they use Zetta (can’t think of too many community radio stations that can afford a Zetta licence).

I recall seeing a whiteboard where someone (presumably the sales department or the PD) wrote a description of the typical Life FM listener: Her name is Jess, she’s in her mid-30s, has two kids, is married, may or may not be working and she goes to church once a year. Not that far off from the typical Nova listener, also named Jess (only Nova’s Jess is in her late 20s and earns around $60k, or at least she did in 2017).

The best bit is that Life’s music mix - according to Life’s tour guide - is around 70% CHR and 30% CCM.

BTW: if you want to see someone get really antsy, make a big deal about Life FM being a Christian station. Even if you’re part of the flock and/or frame Life’s Christian roots in a positive way, they’ll get flustered and change the subject faster than you can say “Jesus is Lord”.

It was a real eye-opener.

7 Likes

RCS do (did?) offer a discounted rate for non-commercial stations, but it’s still several thousand dollars per licence.

4 Likes

Can he up the bitrate?

3 Likes

Yes, the sound on 99.5 and 101.1 is very hollow… sounds like a 32 kbps stream… yuk yuk.

4 Likes

Totally agree, I think the tech is more concerned about the bandwidth being to great for the 4G redundancy STL.

I don’t know how reliable the NBN connection is but I would crank up the bit rate. A 4G connection can handle 96 kbps AAC which I think is much higher than the codec they are currently using.

Also the ARN Wentworth Falls tower has mobile phone broadcast antennas underneath the 2LT / Move fm antenna, so mobile coverage and data speeds should also be at a maximum.
On Vodafone 4G I can get around 80kbps down and 15mbps up. Faster then my NBN connection.

To increase listeners upping the bit rate would be a priority?

3 Likes