Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Whats the odd’s WIN change their LCN’s after a few months …

Clearly only keeping the multichannels on 81/82 so that the viewer doesn’t need to retune.

Maybe. It’s a shame for consistency, but honestly, I prefer WIN’s LCN scheme. If they ever launch 9GemHD, hopefully it will be placed on 81 with the SD simulcast somewhere after 86. Their placement of TVSN kinda ruins it though - it locks it all in. They should have taken the opportunity to move it to the high 80’s.

I’d like to eventually see:

8 Channel 9
80 9HD
81 9GemHD
82 9Go!
83 9Life
84 (9Rush)
85 (Sky News Regional)
86 TVSN
87 GOLD
88 Channel 9
89 9Gem

13 Likes

Most likely SCA might find it easier to pass through the full suite of open broadcast channels from TEN to comply with local content and C/P time commitments (if they still apply) with no effort having force into a non-10Shake channel?

3 Likes

I found a channel called SBN and deleted /skipped it a long time ago, it seemed all religious , how does this channel make money for the affiliate?

3 Likes

SBN pays them rather than the other way around.

7 Likes

SBN pays Southern Cross to broadcast their channel, similar to how Sky News pays WIN (soon Southern Cross) to broadcast Sky News Regional. Think of it like the shopping channels, only instead of many people paying for slots on a channel, one person pays for an entire channel.

This is also different from channels like 7food, 9Life and 9Rush (and 11 before the CBS takeover) where the networks made content deals with American companies which the networks use to program and run their own themed channel with a mix of local and American content.

6 Likes

…was (still is as 10 Peach) available just about everywhere.

I don’t know all the ins and outs about this sort of thing, but I’d be very surprised if the American companies which have done content deals with our major metropolitan networks would disapprove of channels like 9Life and 9Rush being available to a wider audience.

5 Likes

I would’ve assumed foreign content owners would license Australian TV networks for the entire country rather than worrying about metro vs regional viewers…

Australia’s population isn’t large enough for most to think the extra effort would be worth it.

… just as they don’t care to have separate licence agreements with Prime, SCA, WIN, but just license to the networks who ‘on-sell’ via affiliation agreements.

5 Likes

If their agreement is with the metros and there’s no commitment to regional coverage then who cares what they think?

8 Likes

If there’s nothing stopping 9Life (a joint venture between Nine and HGTV/Scripps/Discovery) from being packaged into an affiliation deal, then there’s nothing stopping 9Rush (or 7food net when it existed) either. IMO, it’s a matter of ad revenue and/or infrastructure as discussed here countless times, not deals between metros and US content providers, that prevents these channels from making it to the regions. We’re talking about a fourth multi being pushed into markets that can barely sustain or don’t even have a third multi.

Case in point: Darwin. They could have 9Rush if it was a sacred joint venture between Discovery and Nine, as their Nine is O&O. But they don’t have it, because a city of ~160,000 people isn’t a big enough advertising market for a fourth multi, or that’s what Nine seems to think anyway.

16 Likes

Is this correct? I thought it was solely owned by Nine.

My understanding is the agreement is just for programming from Discovery (previously just Scripps) for most of the content for the channel.

4 Likes

Foxtel on-line guide for next Thursday, regional Queensland - looks a bit strange atm seeing 10 News First and MasterChef on Nine etc.

The broadcast EPGs have not changed since I posted above - SCA ends at midnight while WIN’s goes for a few hours past the changeover.

6 Likes

My Fetch EPG is similar to that, with Ten programs listed on WIN after midnight.

2 Likes

How it looks on my Panasonic DVR:

6 Likes

WIN currently has Colbert (uncharacteristically) scheduled at 11.30pm Wednesday night, looks like both broadcasters are going to do a straight cut at midnight.

Tuesday likely the final edition of All Australian News.

3 Likes

There is All Australian News on Wednesday night leading into the midnight changeover on the WIN QLD EPG.

In Queensland SCA doesn’t have anything in the EPG past midnight.

8 Likes

I thought it was established in the same way as 9Rush and 7foodnet

2 Likes

foxtel tv guide has win all australians news on at wednesday at 11,30pm

1 Like

Just checked here in Canberra, SCA are definitely listing Ten programmes on the EPG here.

Interestingly, the EPG seems to suggest the LCNs being different to what has been listed previously.

The EPG for 9Gem (LCN 52) is showing 10 Peach programmes, not 10 Bold as was listed in TV Week

9Go (LCN 53) EPG is listing 10 Bold programmes.

9Life (LCN 54) EPG is listing 10 Shake programmes.

Of course, this could easily just be an error.

10 Likes

WIN have reactivated the GEM, GO and 9LIFE EPG pages on their website, although naturally with no data in them currently

Curiously, there is also one that points to “Nine” - which is separate to the existing WIN guide.

8 Likes