Rebel Media

Pardon my ignorance, but where does the Remote licence area which Flow FM benefits from kick in? I know they have some transmitters in the Victorian high country and southern NSW, I just presumed anything remote not covered by the Rebel/Breeze licence would be Flow territory?

2 Likes

This map would pretty much answer your question: Your Domains

3 Likes

Gee you’re quick on the draw @TV-Expert - thank you for that.

Confirms a weird quirk that there is indeed no remote licence area for the southeastern part of the country, how ridiculous. Maybe Rebel should look at applying to extend their terrritory south through NSW - there’s got to be a few areas in the high country down there (as well as East East Gippsland) that could use a commercial radio service.

4 Likes

Yep, there’s actually only a few ‘carve outs’ in central and eastern VIC for Flow FM (Remote Central). Nothing at all for far east Gippsland and the remote alpine valleys etc. It’s a bit of an anomaly really.

I am not sure a standalone ‘Remote SE Australia’ broadcaster would be viable, though. Better to provide s212 retransmissions where needed I reckon. That’s the only way Cann River will get a commercial service. s212 has been used by 3GV to broadcast into Bemm River at low power.

Would love Rebel and Breeze to extend all the way to east Gippsland and remote alpine VIC, though. They could even put a cheeky transmitter or two in places like the Abercrombie River valley…

3 Likes

94.1 Rebel could also be a dxing opportunity into Sydney with strong mid north coast tropo, but it will have to get over Today’s Country and 94.1 Pulse fm.

With the Central Coast community’s all vertical and my fm antenna horizontal might ne a slim chance. They have to get it on air first.

2 Likes

Regarding Cann River and other towns nearby missing out on remote area broadcasting.

Their progress assoc or council can apply for out of area retransmission the same as Bemm River did. Local federal MP Darren Chester’s office facilitated this. s212 as @dxnerd mentioned.

3TR in the late 90’s made mention of agents at Orbost, Cann River, Mallacoota etc. There must have been some interest from locals for commercial radio then. If relevant comment, probably still is.

1 Like

Yeah I agree, I am now going to make Rebel and Breeze my go to online stations when there isn’t anything interesting on community radio. The audio quality is good on iheartradio as well.

4 Likes

Yeah for some reason alot of iHeart stations stream at 32/48kbps AAC but the platform supports up to 128kbps AAC (Which is what Starter FM streams at). Turns me off listening to most iHeartradio stations tbh.

3 Likes

32kbps is very handy for limited quota/low signal/bandwidth areas. I support having two options.

32kbps with a long buffer for low signal a great idea for more reliable streaming.

I normally stream direct URLs, however quite impressed with the iHeart app, it’s reliable.

2 Likes

Agreed; the big online only stations have this option. Back in the early days of DSL- when my sister always hogged the bandwidth- this was essential at home, too!

There is an infamous dead zone between Queanbeyan and Bungendore on the Kings Highway which makes listening to streams impossible. Spotify can handle it though, unless my phone chucks a wobbly with the loss of signal (it happens occasionally, reverting to ‘SOS only’ or even ‘Insert SIM’ when arriving in Queanbeyan, a prime signal area).

1 Like

Rebel & Breeze’s Gold Coast feeds offer a High Bit Rate Stream of 160kbps, which can be accessed via their websites, as well as via Radio Garden.

4 Likes

Radio Garden is my go to when listening on the laptop. It’s a beautiful interface and you can easily switch stations whenever you please, bringing some of the spontaneity of tuning an analogue radio dial to the digital sphere. I have contributed several stations to the site, the latest of which being Binjang 91.5.

2 Likes

They also have a mobile app too.

And yes, I agree it’s a good site to listen to radio online from Australia & around the world.

1 Like

Indeed, but my phone is a bit long in the tooth…so I find it a battery drain!

1 Like

Hope it’s not a MacBook, otherwise it could be a walled garden :smile:

Oops, yes I have an evil Apple.

1 Like

I heard an interesting ad on Breeze GC for a psychic. I don’t recall an ad on radio before for that. Might be a Queenslander thing. :slight_smile:

Besides the psychic encounters show on 2UE back in the day.

4 Likes

One of the producers at FiveAA is a psychic and has done readings on the radio in the past

1 Like

It’s been running for at least a few months AFAIK.

2 Likes

It’s more a Gold Coast hinterland/small market thing I’d say. You do hear some unusual ads on Rebel and Breeze GC. The rates for advertising would be much more affordable than MMM/Sea/Hot T

5 Likes