Rebel Media

All of regional qld is crap really especially over Christmas.

1 Like

Itā€™s an absolute shocker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Breeze 92.1 with blank carrier this afternoon. 100.6 and 102.5 are ok.

3 Likes

Havenā€™t read much about Rebel lately, clicked in wishful anticipation of an acquisition of KQ. Not yet to be.

3 Likes

How good would that beā€¦ Breeze and Rebel on DAB :smiley:

3 Likes

ā€œBrisbane City youā€™re a friend of miiiiiiineā€

4KQ, Breeze and Rebel on DAB. If only! Only 3 stations youā€™d need in Brisbane.

2 Likes

Down on the Mid North Coast, no expansion of Breeze and Rebel as yet.
Only Breeze 97.7 Gloucester is on air.

Still to come

• Breeze 93.1 and Rebel 94.1 covering Stroud to Coomba Park.
    This is a fairly broad area and would include other towns like Bulahdelah.
    At 1kw from Cabbage Tree Mointain, which is nearly 700m ASL, it should have good coverage.
    There should be some reception down here in parts of Newcastle.

• Rebel 105.3 and Breeze 106.9 Kendall

• Rebel 89.5 and Breeze 91.1 Wauchope (to be confirmed).

• Rebel 93.7 Gloucester (to complement Breeze 97.7).

Getting all of these to air could create a Mid North Coast specific ad and program feed.

3 Likes

Those transmitters will go on air when the 1st of Smarch comes around. Although, most of those areas are copping that lousy Smarch weather.

3 Likes

What are the chances of the Wauchope and/or Kendall signals being receivable in Port Macquarie?

1 Like

I imagine there will be some reception, maybe similar to the Wide Bay situation in QLD, where there is some reception of Breeze and Rebel in Bundaberg.

2 Likes

Quite a bit to be honest cause I remember hearing them a few times in shops during my time in Bundaberg

3 Likes

Letā€™s not kid ourselves: Rebel have got those licences to ā€˜rimshotā€™ into the Port Macquarie region (in the case of Comboyne) and Port Stephens/Great Lakes (in the case of Cabbage Tree Mountain). Itā€™s a wonder then why these services havenā€™t yet commenced, especially the latter. The COVID-19 exodus from Sydney has made Port Stephens and the Great Lakes very marketable.

Perhaps Rebel is just focused on their core business of providing great music to the 'toads.

Agree, Cabbage Tree Mountain has excellent coverage into places like Nelson Bay, it could be argued that the region isnā€™t adequately covered by Newcastle commercial stations anyway (apart from the 2HD 97.5) relay.

A Rebel and Breeze relay on Gan Gan Hill wouldnā€™t be a bad idea anyway.

1 Like

The transmitter will be on a hill just west of Wauchope, rather than Comboyne, so itā€™s even closer to Port Macquarie - around 10km as the crow flies to the Port Macquarie CBD. It will be licenced up to 100W, going on the ACMA documentation.

2 Likes

Is Wauchope not in the Port Mac LAP? The transmitter for 2MC and Star FM is only around 15kā€™s away and reception of those stations from my experience is strong.

1 Like

Yes that surprised me too that Wauchope/ Beechwood is considered ā€œRemoteā€, Iā€™ve never had any issue with 100.7 or 102.3 in Wauchope either.

1 Like

Apparently half of Wauchope is outside the Port Macquarie licence area.

These arbitrary boundaries are a bit silly. The Canberra licence area ends on the old 1980s boundary of the then Queanbeyan City Council, and with the growth of the Queanbeyan urban area around 10,000 people are outside the Canberra radio licence area, despite almost having line of sight to Telstra Tower. If Rebel Media was smart theyā€™d push to have South Jerrabomberra and Googong included in the Remote licence area and get the opportunity for some ā€˜fortuitous receptionā€™ into Canberra and Queanbeyan.

3 Likes

Here are the licence area boundaries around Wauchope.

Kempsey RA1

Remote Commercial Radio Service North East Zone RA1

4 Likes

Rebel at least would be great to have in Canberra in the absence of a Triple M there.

4 Likes

The southernmost part of the NE Remote radio licence area is around Colo Heights:

http://www.radioalive.com.au/RA/media/General/Documents/Licence%20Area%20Profiles/update/QLD_Remote-NE-Zone.pdf?ext=.pdf

I have wondered why they donā€™t put in a sneaky Rebel/Breeze duopoly around Putty. This would give them rimshot coverage into the Hawkesbury and maybe other parts of western Sydney and even the Central Coast, particularly if the stick was on Mount Yengo.

Bungendore is in the same situation as parts of Googong etc. One half of the town is in both the Canberra and Goulburn LA, whilst the northern half is solely in the Goulburn LA. There is no ā€˜remote SE Australiaā€™ licence area or broadcaster so areas like Cann River miss out.

And yeah, Canberra desperately needs a rock station. Nothing at all even on DAB.

2 Likes