Random TV History

The initial post goes back to 2018, and brings this up:

IIR, they were doing that temporarily to make up local content quota requirements.

3 Likes

My understanding was that was from Imparja Go. Imparja needed to reach the local content quota at the time (them and 11 other affiliates failed due to 9Life not being launched) so they added it so they could reach the local content quota.

2 Likes

this seems pretty random, having your wedding televised live to relatives in Greece as a “gift” from the Overseas Telecommunications Commission (as the bride and groom met while filming a TV commercial for OTC). If you wanted to do the same, it would cost $3500 for the first 10 minutes, then $70 a minute after that… in 1973 dollars.

2 Likes

but colour was free

The service can also be beamed in colour at no extra cost.

4 Likes

this was TV Times’ article of the wedding including a snapshot from the OTC commercial.

1 Like

The documentary about Number 96 “Outrageous" won “Best Feature Film” at LGBTQ+ Toronto Film Festival, 2023

About Outrageous

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsvBzFuSxYl/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

3 Likes

First episode of Midnight Zoo:

3 Likes

There’s a blast from the past: ringtone song purchases!

6 Likes

From memory Ch7 Midnight Zoo was the last to launch and the first to go. Nines overnight show seems to last awhile.

3 Likes

Well Nine had two shows. Quizmania and then the crap The Mint.

4 Likes

So was Quizmania axed to make way for The Mint?

All these shows came off the back of Big Brothers late night show… then Hot Dogs up-late show.

3 Likes

That brief period when the commercial networks dabbled in late-night call-in game shows. From what I’ve read online, a lot of them had technical problems.

3 Likes

I still preferred these late night “game” shows to the infomercials we get now…

I liked ‘The Mint’… particularly Nikki Osborne :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

She was on Quizmania

3 Likes

Oh thanks! Well, I liked ‘Quizmania’ then :grin:

1 Like

I heard of them before and I do remember them existing when I was around 7 or 8 although I obviously did not catch them as I was in bed because I had to sleep more knowing my age at the time they aired. Also paying 55 cents to a phone operator because of a 1902 number just to win a prize in which the few people who were up at 1am were trying to call but would not get through seems like borderline gambling to me even though it may not be because its a game of skill and not a game of chance.

1 Like

The Mint didn’t last long from memory…. Quizmania lasted at least 18 months from memory

3 Likes

Yeah, a bit like that I think… I imagine Nine got a % of the $$$ from the 1902 numbers, and I imagine people got charged the 55 cents regardless of whether they got through or not…

2 Likes

That was the point. Make people call in and collect the 55c and only let a hand full of people on air.

6 Likes

I forgot Amy Parks was on Quizmania.

From memory Hot Dogs was produced out of Canberra yes?

Quizmania was from GTV9 and Midnight Zoo was Sydney based.

2 Likes