Random TV History

Haha! My work here is done!

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be hard. VEW and GTW would’ve been run off the smell of an oily rag.

1 Like

On the Ning Nang Nong, where the cows go BONG!

3 Likes

Full program guide for WA that day: Sunday 29 July 1984 — WESTERN AUSTRALIA – Television.AU

3 Likes

Just been watching a few NRL Grand Final replays on the NRL website recently and have noticed that before 2012 or thereabouts, Nine has farewelled its Melbourne viewers either before the trophy presentation or the lap of honour that immediately follows it.

I can remember the furore when Nine cut off its Melbourne viewers almost immediately after the final siren in 2009 to go to the news and GTV received a flood of complaints saying they couldn’t see their team on the dais (this title was later stripped from them due to salary cap breaches).

At times GTV viewers also only join in on the NRL Grand Final telecast just before kick-off, too.

Would anyone know why GTV’s telecasts of the Grand Finals all those years ago were altered - could it have been ratings concerns, other commitments apart from the news, etc?

I don’t think this was ever an issue in Sydney when TEN and ATN televised the AFL Grand Finals in the same period, even if they didn’t rate well until 2005 when the Sydney Swans appeared in, and won, that year’s decider.

2 Likes

Pretty much just both of those. I can’t see any other reason.

2 Likes

I remember that too.

And to make matters worse, the lead story on the news that night: Brendan Fevola!

3 Likes

Yep I also remember the furore surrounding his imminent trade to the Brisbane Lions too. Not many Carlton members or fans were happy about it.

1 Like

Prime TV celebrating 200 years of Newcastle

4 Likes

haven’t seen this happen often, but here’s a “Temporary Closed Caption Loss” message during footy broadcast. (audio is very poor but I thought it was interested that this appeared).
A 7 broadcast message itself? Or generated by the television ?

1 Like

wasnt sure where to put this.
Ch 31 Tiger tv show the week after Sept 11, ends with an In Memory

1 Like

The lost Melbourne broadcast of Australia’s Naughtiest Home Videos has been found, according to this video: It's Been Found! The Lost 1992 "Cancelled During It's Broadcast" Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos - YouTube

2 Likes

One problem - the guy is in the middle of it. Not needed.

lost? like we’ve all seen it on you tube, and then 9 ended up showing it in full years later.

i think he’s talking about the recording of how it was handled on-air in Melbourne, which was different from Sydney. In any case, I think there was video of it uploaded to archive.org some time ago, it’s not particularly “new” or just discovered.

Yep, been there since at least November 2020. It’s stone-cold at this point.

[Australia's Naughtiest Home Videos : Channel Nine Melbourne : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive]

1 Like

Some real gold on this tape. GWN at its peak, getting ready to switch to a sole Seven Network affiliation. Promos looked refreshing with proper Seven ‘red line’ style and full screen endboards. I also loved how more modern the ‘This is where we live…’ package looks overall here. Prime looked so stuck in the past in comparison.

The WIN content here is also pretty rare. Shows some really well done Ten promos which use the Nine pres style perfectly, and an all-caps PRG I’d never seen before. Funny seeing 2002 and 2003 promos mixed in together. I’d say it’s recorded right after the 2003 relaunch and WIN probably had a lot of unaired Nine programming to burn off!

Thanks to Vintage Video AU for the recording

7 Likes

IMO this was the most pointless news bulletin in recent TV history, especially since (from ~2015-19) it was immediately followed in the schedule by another news bulletin - in this case the Afternoon News which became localized to each market in 2017.

At one point, between 3:00pm and 7:30pm on any given weekday, you’d have four hours of news/current affairs with only a half-hour break for Hot Seat. When that game show expanded to an hour, it became 3.5 hours of news content in that period.

Even @SouthCoastTV (credit goes to this user for the video below) would have to agree that too much news is overkill. I wasn’t really surprised that the bulletin was quietly axed at the end of 2019; despite Nine saying it would return in 2020, it never did.

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure Nine News Now started as a webcast, though, that just naturally ended up filling empty space when Nine didn’t have anything to fill it anymore (having long given up, say, Days of Our Lives and Young and the Restless). Happy to stand corrected on that.

Same reason why Seven dragged up The Daily Edition, I guess - though that was at least positioned as an informercial vehicle counterpart to The Morning Show.

Wouldn’t be surprised if something in that 3.00 slot would’ve been still a thing (Covid notwithstanding), if not for wanting to combat what must be a reasonable draw of Seven putting The Chase UK at 3, by matching it with another British game show in the afternoon.

3 Likes

They also began in 2013 as children’s programming was no longer required at these timeslots so they opened up the opportunity for different programs.

4 Likes