Random TV History

I was under the impression that the first Idents with the coloured men began on September 15, (most likely) just prior to the Opening Ceremony.

1 Like

Also a weather presenter - from this weekend’s Flashback.

5 Likes

I thought this would be of interest seeing Karl over the ditch on TV2/TVNZ 2

Edit: Vision by @anon36025973! Hi :wave:

9 Likes

Shame we didn’t see him trying to pronounce some local place names, unless his first attempt at Whakatane saw him sent back to Aus.

6 Likes

Hey @NaruTVMock. Thanks for sharing this clip. I figured it would be of interest, given Karl’s high profile these days.

2 Likes

Was this a station ID used by SAS-10?

4 Likes

Just wondering if Channel 7 ever did transmit from it’s Epping Studios. I assume it didn’t. Apologies it may be answer already somewhere in this forum. I am normally in the radio nerd side of this forum :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

Nah, that was just a link tower at their studios. They transmitted from Gore Hill until 1965 on a seperate tower adjacent to the ABN2 tower then moved to Artarmon co-sited with Channel 10

6 Likes

Here’s a clip from the 1988 Good Friday Appeal with Denns Confetti interviewing Phil Cleary and another Coburg player and Peter Landy a couple of umpires. The live TV coverage of the VFA was the ABC picking up match of the round after a few years of only finals being broadcast live on TV. I think that’s Dan Webb making a cameo at the end.

YouTube VFA Footy

4 Likes

I know that’s an innocent typo but it literally made me laugh out loud :smile:

3 Likes

This came up in my Facebook feed today, wasn’t sure which topic to post it to. I can’t imagine any news story these days that would get an hour long special let alone by a regional station, or one story having so many camos!

4 Likes

Watching some retro 80s games of Rugby League (on Kayo). Given my eels lost last night. Decided to watch the opening of Parramatta Stadium to cheer myself up. Parra won 36-6 in 1986.

Bring back the NEC replay! I love the 80s jingle when someone scores a try.

Now watching the Parra vs Tigers game in 1989 (not sure if this will cheer me up, I can’t remember the result) it was the State Bank big game then. It was only in the 80s the commentary team would say the team should go for a penalty goal when you are 12-nil down (and it isn’t just before half time).

Ahh the good old days. Ten’s coverage was first class in 89.

7 Likes

Agree, I liked Ten’s coverage, I thought Graeme Hughes was a great commentator.

It had a few sponsor induced name changes in the 80s, Rank Arena Big Game, NEC Big Game, State Bank Big Game and MMI Big Game.

Their replays were more comprehensive than Nine’s were at the time. Ten had 90 minutes from 6pm to 7.30 and at one point went for 2 hours (I think from 6.30 to 8.30). Nine’s evening coverage was only 1 hour, except for the finals, as Nine refused to move their 6pm news or 60 Minutes. Nine did move it to 4pm from 1995-96? can’t remember what year exactly.

2 Likes

In the 1989 game it flicked between multiple commentators. Rex Mossop did a little, I think Ian Maurice and Graeme Hughes. BTW Parra just won that match 18-16 in 89. Very exciting match. I wonder if we could bring back the 5 metre rule? Anyway I should post that in the NRL thread :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

With thanks to “whophd” for this upload, a brief snapshot of Australian Digital Television in 2002:

…and longer reels which provide a more extensive taste of what the ABC, Seven, Nine, Ten and SBS had to offer on DVB-T at the time.

14 Likes

I remember the first design of the SBS VPG SBS Essentials the animation they played made me think that it was interactive and i could control what i saw with my remote. I even made a post on the dtvforums about it and why it was not working for me.

I also use to think that ABC Kids/Fly TV were 2 channels not 1 channel time shared, by the time i got a STB they had shut it down so never got to watch any of it.

2 Likes

Nine might be overselling it just a teeny tiny bit there.

2 Likes

They didn’t last long, but was soon replaced by ABC2 in 2004/2005.

2 Likes

This is off the base of some very surface level searching, but here is some ratings data from the midway point of 2006.

Nine’s American sitcoms Two and a Half Men and The New Adventures of Old Christine have flopped

Hmm…if only they knew what was coming :thinking:

7 Likes

By 1988, Rex had moved into an analyst role after suffering a medical episode (at the time it was passed off as an ear infection but I’ve seen reports saying it was a stroke) during a Panasonic Cup game in 1987.