Random TV History

A girl I knew in high school was in Popstars Live.

Correct. It was the first season to allow solo performers, and Scott Cain emerged as the winner. His debut single was “I’m Movin’ On” and one of his final singles was “Hilary Duff” (interestingly, he would support the singer on her national tour of Australia in 2004).

Kayne Taylor won that series; Miranda Murphy finished as runner-up. Molly Meldrum was one of the judges, from memory.

2 Likes

Obscure but he was probably more successful than all of The Voice contestants combined. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I somehow misread that as Scott Cam emerged as the winner. I’ve now cleaned my glasses but the mind has wandered to how he would have gone on a show like that!

6 Likes

Except maybe Vera Blue

Except she had to change her name and disassociate herself from the show. :wink:

1 Like

Found the music video put out by the finalists of Popstars Live Australia.
This song peaked at #29 on the ARIA Charts.

YouTube: Rare Aussie Music Videos

I went to high school with this girl.

5 Likes

It’s obvious how similar the song is to “Rise Up” which was the single released by the Australian Idol top 12 the preious year.

Then again, the Popstars Live format was an exact replica of Idol’s format…

3 Likes

The only other songs which featured all the contestants I remember from the Idol era were “Are You Ready” in 2005 (Kate DeAraugo won that series) and a cover of “Can You Feel It?” in 2009 (the show’s final season, won by Stan Walker).

If I remember correctly, the 2003 single “Rise Up” was a cover of what was originally a Vanessa Amorosi song.

1 Like

Some screencaps from a video Seven uploaded to their Facebook page.

12 Likes

It’s been a few months since we’ve seen any new additions to the 7NEWS Vault YouTube channel? They were pumping out some good content for a while there.

6 Likes

Maybe the NSW lockdown might be restricting archive access?

9 Likes
9 Likes

Didnt they try this previously with a store at Martin Place selling branded tat

3 Likes

Thanks for that find, I would have liked to have seen them include the “Just Watch Us Now” ID in it.

3 Likes

Great to see some ID’s from Seven’s ‘Revolution’ days.

The clip showcasing bits and pieces of most notable Channel Seven Idents over the last few decades is good.

The online store…not so much. Yes it’d be cool to have merch with a retro Seven logo on it, but not at those prices especially when the quality is likely to on-par with the type of thing you’d get in a showbag! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The coloured men was introduced after the 2000 Olympics and ran until July 2002

Seems like they put more effort into this than their 60th anniversary a few years back…

1 Like

These must be from early in the ‘Revolution’ days.

1 Like