Random TV History

Channel 0/28 did when it first started in 1980, and returned to the idea when it became SBS in 1985.

ATV10 did same in prime time when it first switched over from Channel 0 but I think that was only a short-term campaign as part of the conversion.

1 Like

question - what is IVC?

2 Likes

In Vision Continuity. Voiceover-person on screen.

2 Likes

Stupid question, but how did Denis Walter end up at VIC TV/WIN TV doing the news? From what I’ve read he was a singer first and foremost…

1 Like

Late 1980s he did the Keno draw on Nine every night and read the weekend weather from memory. Also had a daily slot on 3MP mornings so by 92 he would’ve had a reasonable profile across Victoria. Guess he fits the mould of newsreaders without a background in journalism like Hitchener, Naylor et al.

I heard Denis used to commute to and from Melbourne and Ballarat daily between his radio and television commitments.

WIN back in the day had Newsreaders who wouldn’t do on the ground Journalism as well.

As well as Denis Walter in Victoria, there was Mary Franks in Wollongong, Peter Leonard in Canberra, Des McWilliam in Toowoomba and Bruce Diamond in Rockhampton.

1 Like

Bruce Roberts was an actor, now reading the news for WIN

1 Like

Mary Franks did. She contributed to the bulletin occasionally and won a Logie for a documentary called No Fixed Address in which she examined the issue of youth homelessness in Wollongong.

4 Likes

Well he’s got the read lines bit down pat. :stuck_out_tongue: To be fair, he did go back and get a Journalism degree from, where else, CSU.

Any relation to Juila? :rofl:

1 Like

Keno isn’t journalism. Reading the weekend weather isn’t journalism - you can get a bimbo with big knockers to do that. I get the 3MP bit - I suppose that would qualify him.

Newsreaders don’t have to be journalists. It does add some cred, but being a journalist is not an essential skill to being a newsreader. Two of the most successful newsreaders in this country – Brian Henderson and Brian Naylor – were not journalists. I don’t think Roger Climpson was, either.

8 Likes

I’d prefer it if someone reading the news actually had some journalistic meat on their bones - so to speak. Makes them a bit more credible. It’s a lot like me being a teacher - I’d want my head teacher of my specific faculty to be trained in that subject - not being a science or art teacher (as I’ve experienced), so that they get the nuances involved.

3 Likes

nah … all a newsreader has to do is read an autocue … the doyen of ABC newsreaders was James Dibble who was not a journalist … the best newsreader at 9 was Brian “told me” Henderson - also not a journalist …

1 Like

but you’re happy to have the weather presented by a “bimbo with big knockers”? Apart from this not being 1972 anymore, wouldn’t you prefer by the same token that the weather get presented by a meteorologist? TBH it doesn’t bother me either way. I don’t care that a newsreader is or isn’t a journalist, or that a weather presenter is or isn’t a meteorologist.

6 Likes

That was an example. Seriously I am not that much of a dinosaur…

You come across as one in some of your posts, and just obscene. Maybe take stock of how you come off to other posters.

Oh FFS…don’t you lot have something better to do than pick at everything I write?

Doesn’t have to be a journalist, during his time with GTV neither the weekend or weeknight newsreaders were journalists. The 3MP role of memory serves me correctly was back announcing the likes of Christopher Cross and Rod Stewart, live ad reads, community events, competitions and the odd light interview. His TV experience would have been the attraction to get him to Ballarat.

He was living in Geelong at the time (probably still does) and would commute to Melbourne to do the radio gig and then drive to Ballarat to read the news at WIN before heading back to Geelong. That’s a lot of miles!

4 Likes