Random TV History

But what if there’s major breaking news? Wouldn’t you want someone with a journalism background to interview eyewitnesses and experts, provide background analysis, pose the right questions to reporters on the scene, seamlessly juggle between different video feeds, and so on? Even the BBC, which once employed newsreaders who were mere announcers, now requires them to be journalists.

2 Likes

The people who currently hold the newsreading roles once those of James Dibble & Brian Henderson are Juanita Phillips and Peter Overton respectively. Last I checked, both have a not insignificant journalistic background/experience.

Of course this isn’t to say that many of Australia’s former non-journalist TV newsreaders weren’t any good at what they did, but it’s pretty fair to say that the industry has changed dramatically in recent decades. Hence why current day Sydney news presenters like Peter Overton & Michael Usher are often tasked with fronting Election Night/other major breaking news coverage by their respective networks, while the likes of Brian Henderson & Roger Climpson (to the best of my knowledge) never did stuff like that.

1 Like

I am loving this discussion about whether newsreaders should be journalists. It’s making me think. Ouch.

One thing I would love to see changed on television news is the weather report. All I need is a bottom and top temperature and a picture (cloud, rain sun) for the next seven days. That’s it. I don’t need the three minutes of high and low pressure systems and the weather around the nation.

I would rather watch funny cat videos than the weather report dragging on for ever.

The detailed weather reports are important but the on location stuff ie Sam Mac is not. I think most bulletins have a good mix, but I would prefer fly over graphics instead of static images. Therefore you can show overall more temperatures but have less cluttered graphics.

3 Likes

If that’s all you want then go to the BOM website or app?

2 Likes

Agree, no station seems to do them anymore. They were much more common 5-10 years ago.

They are more engaging, even if the novelty wears off after a while.

… and why would you think that “someone with a journalism background” would be any better at it … many of today’s journalists can’t even grasp the facts relating to stories they are assigned to cover let alone know anything about “breaking news” from somewhere else … and as for “juggle between different video feeds” in my own experience, capable live radio announcers are far better at handling that kind of complexity than someone with just a journalism degree …

1 Like

Because they have specifically studied what content is appropriate and the relevant legislation that may restrict reporting of certain issues. While you can learn this on the job, it’s not as in-depth. For example I work in IT if I had two people apply for a job with the same experience, one had TAFE certificate and one had a Bachelor of Computer Science I would more likely employ the person with the degree. Same can be said in journalism. A lot of it for me is that someone is more committed if they have a degree and spent at least three years studying the subject and will be more passionate. But I have met several excellent people in IT who do not have degrees.

1 Like

But a newsreader doesn’t need to be a journalist. They need to read a script and deliver it clearly. The top rating newsreader in Melbourne is not a journalist, sure he’s probably picked up some tips from his colleagues over the decades but he’s not going out chasing leads. He’s there to convey the journalists’ work to viewers, hence why you won’t see him breaking or rolling coverage.

Yes true but having a degree will enhance the ability of the newsreader to understand the issue clearly so it can be portrayed to the viewer in the best possible way. Understanding all the background related to the story. The vast majority of news readers nowadays have a journalism degree for a good reason.

… absolute rubbish … look at what passes as journalists today at the ABC for example … they go to school … then to university … then to the cloistered halls of Ultimo … they have absolutely no knowledge or understanding of the real world at all … believe me, I’ve worked with some of them and I wouldn’t trust them to boil an egg let alone lecture me on the meaning of life (which is 42 BTW) …

Most of them do, but that’s probably more because having journalistic cred looks good in a promo, it looks good in advertising, but it doesn’t necessarily mean nobody else can do the job.

2 Likes

That maybe the case for some but you can’t make generalisations that every journalism graduate has the same traits.

1 Like

… correct … but exactly the same applies to your “generalisation” …

… plus I actually worked in the business (including being and training newsreaders) so probably have a better idea of the reality …

Ultimately it depends on the individual person you can’t make assumptions either way.

1 Like

I have too. Let’s agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Good night! Uh…good e–uh–the Prime Minister…”

11 Likes

Ha, that’s a classic. So too was the round-up of Sponsors at the start of your recent 1990 Grace Bros Christmas Parade upload, with the number of brands mentioned almost giving recent Carols In The Domain telecasts a run for their money! :open_mouth:

Of course I’m looking forward to seeing more stuff of interest in the future…if/when you manage to come across and digitalise anything of course! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

An interesting passage on this subject from Barbara Matusow’s 1983 book about American news anchors:

1 Like

There were no ad breaks in the telecast, so the cash had to come from somewhere…

Interestingly they showed several PRGs throughout the show at regular intervals despite the lack of ad breaks. Was this normal practice for an ad-break free show?

1 Like