Random TV History

Here is a highlights package that Seven showed of its coverage of the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games. Notice Basil Zempilas in commentary in the diving.

It would also appear that Johanna Griggs anchored the studio coverage from Melbourne, as you can see from the Sportsworld website that was on the desk.

Similarly, Seven would also show a highlights package of the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games a week after the event finished. It (as well as the Opening Ceremony) was available on 7Plus as recently as April last year, just as the country entered lockdown.

2 Likes

Tony Barber’s first episode as host of Wheel of Fortune (15 July 1996).

YouTube: Joshua92ification.

3 Likes

A compilation of RVN2/AMV4 from the mid 1980’s including a closedown.

Credit: Angry Angry Middle Aged Man (YouTube)

8 Likes

I’m feeling seen :grimacing:

5 Likes

“Go on, roll over lad”. Love it.

A post was merged into an existing topic: On This Day

Part of a special Christmas episode of Agro’s Cartoon Connection, recorded late 1994.

YouTube: James Burke.

3 Likes

Recorded from Channel 7 Adelaide.

In tonight’s sporting flashback on 7 news Tasmania they mention commercial television coming to King Island in 1988.

5 Likes

A little bit misleading as the ABC relay station ABKT11 had been on air since January 1972. But yes, TNT9 didn’t commence there until September 1988 (TNT8)

(edit: The report did specifically mention commercial television)

5 Likes

I thought 1988 was a bit late for television on King Island I had forgot about watching this video a few years ago.

Presumably nowadays, King Island receives the full array of television services which residents of the Tasmanian mainland (for the want of a better term) can receive?

How dare the cricket cut into Countdown! :rofl:

3 Likes

Nice retro ABC ident before The Newsreader tonight i hope someone caped it

3 Likes

13 Likes

This shows an actual ident from the day featured in The Newsreader

11 Likes

Reminds me of watching Inspector Gadget on VHS :relieved: Same animation, but different music.

The logo at the beginning which then followed the ABC logo:

2 Likes

The ABC need to reinstate that theme music. So iconic.

6 Likes

So…did they change the music because of rights issues or was it some artistic choice to use a modern, inauthentic track alongside it?

1 Like

A while ago, I found a promo DVD from when the ABC were preparing for their controversial 2008 rebrand, which I believe was issued with one of the ABC’s magazines. I have recently ripped it onto my Internet Archive cause this may be of interest to other people.

5 Likes