Random TV History

Found this article from the Sydney Morning Herald from 2003. It states that Mark Ferguson filled in for Jim Waley towards the end of the year when the veteran presenter had to take extended leave to treat skin cancer.

That year, Nine News won all 40 weeks in Sydney, including the period in which Ferguson deputised for Waley. While Fergo was only 37 at the time, I think it’s fair to say that this was the only sustainable period of ratings success he would enjoy, and that (along with him presenting on weeknights during the tsunami coverage in 2004-05) would prove a forerunner to him permanently replacing Waley in 2005.

2 Likes

Didn’t mind it at all. Dame Edna interrupted Michael Klim’s farewell speech mid-sentence with Klim wasn’t able to complete his speech

When DDQ was on 5A in Toowoomba (from Mt Lofty) in the “10-4-5A” days, was there an equivalent local ABC TV relay on VHF?

I suspect not as all other channels appeared to be accounted for or were unavailable as below.

0 = TVQ Brisbane
1 = ABC Southern Downs
2 = ABC Brisbane
3 = ABC Darling Downs
4 = “10-4-5A” Southern Downs
5 = Unavailable due to 5A being in use
6 = Also unavailable as above
7 = 7 Brisbane
8 = Also assumed unavailable due to 7 & 9 Brisbane, and possibly Wide Bay
9 = 9 Brisbane
10 = “10-4-5A” Darling Downs
11 = Assumed unavailable due to 10 as above.

1 Like

A bit far away I think.

ABWQ (ABC Wide Bay on 6?)

There was no ABC relay.

People in Toowoomba could get ABC 2 from Brisbane. I recall reading that was a significant reason for the 5/5a relay station anyway - to provide a local signal for people who had Brisbane antennas.

5 was unavailable because FM radio was starting in Brisbane - hence the move from 5 to 5a

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Ten News and Current Affairs

Here is a highlights package that Seven showed of its coverage of the 2002 Manchester Commonwealth Games. Notice Basil Zempilas in commentary in the diving.

It would also appear that Johanna Griggs anchored the studio coverage from Melbourne, as you can see from the Sportsworld website that was on the desk.

Similarly, Seven would also show a highlights package of the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games a week after the event finished. It (as well as the Opening Ceremony) was available on 7Plus as recently as April last year, just as the country entered lockdown.

2 Likes

Tony Barber’s first episode as host of Wheel of Fortune (15 July 1996).

YouTube: Joshua92ification.

3 Likes

A compilation of RVN2/AMV4 from the mid 1980’s including a closedown.

Credit: Angry Angry Middle Aged Man (YouTube)

8 Likes

I’m feeling seen :grimacing:

5 Likes

“Go on, roll over lad”. Love it.

A post was merged into an existing topic: On This Day

Part of a special Christmas episode of Agro’s Cartoon Connection, recorded late 1994.

YouTube: James Burke.

3 Likes

Recorded from Channel 7 Adelaide.

In tonight’s sporting flashback on 7 news Tasmania they mention commercial television coming to King Island in 1988.

5 Likes

A little bit misleading as the ABC relay station ABKT11 had been on air since January 1972. But yes, TNT9 didn’t commence there until September 1988 (TNT8)

(edit: The report did specifically mention commercial television)

5 Likes

I thought 1988 was a bit late for television on King Island I had forgot about watching this video a few years ago.

Presumably nowadays, King Island receives the full array of television services which residents of the Tasmanian mainland (for the want of a better term) can receive?

How dare the cricket cut into Countdown! :rofl:

3 Likes