Random TV History

… one of the main reasons for wanting to own a second licence was that, in those days, the law said a single entity could only own a maximum of two licences and so by buying a second, you made sure that you were not a takeover target by another station … of course all that changed when Hawke/Keating abolished that law and replaced it with a 75% cap which opened the way for predators like Skase and Bond to hoover up licences and send the entire television industry broke … it also allowed Murdoch to become, in Keating’s words “Prince of print” …

3 Likes

I remember Always Greener especially the Theme song. From memory this show used to be on Sunday Nights at 7.30pm i think which kind of explained why the show didn’t last long as 60 Minutes of course dominated that Time Slot.

1 Like

It was moved around the schedule which was more of a reason why the show only lasted 2 seasons. I wish they brought the show back in some way. It was a good show.

1 Like

Ahhh. I see. I only ever remember ever being on a Sunday Night. My Grandmother use to watch that show, plus All Saints (which used to be on a Tuesday Night) and Blue Heelers (which used to be on Wednesday Night) back in the Early 2000’s.

Ratings for the show began to fall after Seven decided to start airing its second season during the 2002 Easter period. It would move from Sunday to Monday then back to Sunday.

1 Like

I didn’t know that Prime did noodle updates in Victoria in the 90s!

Not sure of the newsreader or which city the updates were presented from.

3 Likes

Interesting. Was this produced at Prime Ballarat or from NSWs?

1 Like

Some of our Brisbane/Queensland members may remember this hilarious NRMA ad from c. 2005:

This was a tongue-in-cheek reference to when the Brisbane Broncos suffered a then-record 50-4 loss to the Melbourne Storm early in the 2005 NRL season.

4 Likes

And none of them moved on to a career in acting. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Plus who could also remember this Colonial State ad from 2004?

10 Likes

“Abu Dhabi does not live here”

2 Likes

The doors of the Albert Memorial Hospital are open with the first 250 episodes of the long-running Australian early-evening soap – where the staff romances and personal dramas are more crucial than the medical cases!

4 Likes

I watched a few landmark episodes on YouTube months ago but I’m not sure the quality of that production warrants paying a premium to view the series. It was interesting to see Russell Crowe and Gerard Sont as child actors. I’m sure they’ll get some baby boomer nostalgia tragics paying for it.

1 Like

I absolutely loved this show! Second only to Sons & Daughters.

Hey I’m Gen X not a baby boomer.

1 Like

On you Brian68 - I am a Gen Xer as well.

NewsWeary - Please don’t confuse us with the Boomers.

Mind you, it’s the millennials that concern me. They walk around like they rent the place.

1 Like

my grandparents were pre-boomers and if they were still with us they’d love to watch The Young Doctors again I’m sure :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I should know better being a Gen X myself. I just thought more boomers would’ve been invested in it and remember it more fondly than those of us who were children in the ’70s.

1 Like

LOL good one!

3 Likes