Random TV History

Agree. Look it’s up to the individual but he could have gone another 5-6 years on the 4.30 News.

I even recall him stating that the 4.30 News was one of his finest achievements. Surprised he left in 2005.

Most members on here won’t even remember him :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve been trying to remember what that was for myself! From memory, he did look quite different. I just can’t remember what it was for - may have been after the death of someone? e.g. Bert Newton or similar.

I remember watching him on that bulletin a lot, he was a great reader. I remember that bulletin getting launched as the Iraq Updates as things were escalating in the Gulf prior to it turning into a proper bulletin and still remaining.

7 Likes

Station close of TNT-9 in Launceston

9 Likes

Intro to the broadcast of the 1988 Bicentennial Tall Ships race in Tasmania.

2 Likes

On watching various station closedowns/sign-offs from the 80s/90s, I’m curious as to how many had a live VO/announcer. Some have specifically mentioned technical difficulties etc which suggest they aren’t generic recordings.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Seven News and Current Affairs

I like that he mentioned the callsign.

3 Likes

Was there a reason for that?

3 Likes
6 Likes

It wasn’t unusual for sports commentators to refer to stations by callaigns when welcoming or farewelling audiences from certain markets whilst the broadcast may continue on for others. Over time the city names have taken over, by the late 1999s when this was, Peter Landy was a pretty old school broadcaster by then. Fred Stolle from Wimbledon and Chapoelli during the cricket were two I distinctly recall usually callsigns long after others had.

1 Like

Bruce McAvaney often mentions “we welcome our Adelaide viewers on SAS” during the Australian Open in the 1990s. And I was in Adelaide in 2015 the week SAS was celebrating its 50th birthday and in promoting their retrospective special openly referred to Adelaide Seven as SAS.

4 Likes

Given the 7/10 frequency swap there in 1987, there is probably a good reason for that - especially if they were covering the times before then when it was SAS10.

Given the 7 Perth (TVW) ownership of SAS during many of the “Ten” years, covering them might be a little safer for a retrospective than it might have otherwise been I imagine.

3 Likes

At the start of that TAS-TV startup, we see a single frame of a promo. Is this unrelated (ie. a different recording on the same home videotape) or was that on the feed? Did they take a metro feed overnight?

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s unrelated- perhaps a bad VHS edit. The station closed overnight in those days.

2 Likes

TVW-7 Perth PRG 1988

Source: Flemishdog

5 Likes

The rainbow logo looks pretty good in the PRG.

4 Likes

TVW used coloured PRG’s from 1987 onwards. There was a few coloured versions of the split Seven logo, first blue and then the dark gold one.

3 Likes

(I can’t post this in the Seven News thread, as I am limited to no more than 3 posts in a row).

Here’s Nov 4, 1985 episode of NewsWorld hosted by Laurie Wilson
(commercial for the first 5 mins, news program starts after that)

4 Likes

State based late news. Hard to believe we haven’t seen that for decades.

2 Likes