Random Thread

What rude words were you saying?

The easier question to answer would be what rude word weren’t I saying?

3 Likes

When they banned you, did you make your own Club Penguin with blackjack and hookers?

nah fam i just went on with my life lmao

3 Likes

That’s coming to Channel Seven.

Who has done a cert 3 in screen and media before

So, on Facebook’s friend suggestion thingy it said that it should be friends with masses of people including.

A Western Bulldogs AFLW player (Pretty high profile one too)
My school principal.
One of my teachers
And a Media Spy member :laughing:

2 Likes

Would be pretty easy to find one, especially if they have their name in their user settings.

Another milestone.

2 Likes

A teenager who allegedly stole a tram and drove it around Melbourne may still have a future as a professional driver.

Tram managers are stunned that a 15-year-old boy could navigate the vehicle, which weighs 27 tonnes when empty.

He allegedly drove it around the network for 40 minutes from about 8.50 on Sunday night, manually changing tracks and crossing busy intersections.

The teenager, wearing a jacket similar to the Yarra Trams uniform, allegedly stopped to pick up passengers and reversed once when he overshot a stop.

He was arrested in Kew, 15 kilometres from where the tram was stolen, when the electricity was shut off.

Woah, 2005! News travels slow wherever you are!

5 Likes

Just doing a clean out and found what was my first mobile phone bill… from 1996!

$65.00 “connection” and $25.00 a month plan and all $34.05 of calls that month was credited back. Don’t recall what the deal was with the call charges/credit. I wasn’t on a contract, I already had a handset I just acquired a SIM card.

Things were different then. No online payment options. Payment could only be made by post(!!), in person at a Post Office or ANZ Bank or call a 1800 number to pay by credit card. There was an option to register for direct debit.

I’ve changed providers but still have the same number over 20 years later…

3 Likes

Wow, yes so much more expensive back then!

Over $100 and still no data!

Was that on the old analogue network?

Their old logo used to creep me out as a kid.

No it was digital. But certainly no data but that total did include a one-off $65 connection fee

1 Like

IIRC you need a new number (as well as phone) for digital. At the time you went to the seller and they had a selection of sim cards each with a programmed number and you picked the one you wanted.

I hadn’t used analogue so I just got whatever SIM card and number they handed me. But anyone that was converting from analogue to digital I think in most cases the carriers were able to match the last 6 digits but just required a change in prefix from the analogue 01x to digital 041x.

And in those days digital mobile prefixes were locked in to carriers. From memory Optus had 0410, 0411, 0412. Telstra had 0417, 0418, 0419, and Vodafone had 0414 (and possibly 0413 and 0415). If you wanted to change carriers on digital you had to relinquish your old number/prefix.

Also at that early stage SMS only operated within the same carrier. So as an Optus customer I could only send SMS to other Optus customers. It was a little while before number portability came in and it was opened up to allow SMS to all carriers.

1 Like

I don’t recall matching numbers - perhaps I thought it was just a good time to get a easier-to-remember number. Original Telstra were 0407 0408 etc

Yeah I used to manage the mobile phone fleet at work and we had to convert employees’ analogue phones to digital. Initially we only did them on an ad hoc basis (i.e. as the staff requested them) because in a lot of cases staff had to travel to regional areas and GSM coverage in the country was very sparse then whereas analogue was pretty solid everywhere. So we didn’t enforce any conversion at first because of the differences between analogue and digital coverage.

From memory the 040x prefixes came in later. Initially it was only 041x.

042x, 043x, 044x etc could not be used for a while as (a.) there was no real demand to break into those numbers, and (b.) Landline STD area codes 042, 043, etc had just been phased out as part of the new Austel Numbering Plan.

Ah yes, 018 was the first analogue mobile prefix, and 0418 was the first digital prefix.

It won’t be long before we have run out of available 04xx numbers… eg. 049x is already in use.
I believe 05xx will then be used for mobiles?

1 Like