Random Thread

Sometime this year, the ACMA projected back in 2012.

2 Likes

And I think V/Line and Metro Trains had some 04 allocations for their GSM-R network.

So that probably explains it.

I remember years ago they proposed 0500 as a prefix for non-geographic/roaming services. So if you had an 0500 number it could have been linked to either a landline or mobile service, or both. I donā€™t think it was a popular service from memory I think I only ever saw one case of someone actually having a 0500 number.

I seem to remember that when they converted mobile numbers from 012, 013 to the equivalent 0412, 0413, they allocated the other 041x number ranges to other carriers, so Telstra were close to running out of numbers they could use. The 040x number ranges may have been introduced at the same time or very soon after.

Iā€™ve had an 0408 number since the start and my first mobile was a Nokia 6110 brick which was released in 1998 so it was probably that year.

tfw thereā€™s a sizeable amount of members not born at that time.

Anyways, I recently found a thread on reddit where a guy who had the same phone plan since the early 00ā€™s and was getting bills like in the thousands of dollars for some simple use (I really need to find this thread).

4 Likes

The only analogue prefixes were 014, 015, 018, 019 and I think maybe 017. But 018 was the first, if you ignore the first generation mobile network in the early 1980s that had the prefix 007.

012 and 013 were directory assistance or operator assistance (landline) telephone numbers so were not used by mobiles.

011 was possibly not used so as to avoid confusion with the international access code 0011.

016 I think was used for another purposeā€¦ maybe pagers or something like that?

It makes sense that 040x may have been introduced around 1998. The 041x numbers were being taken up at a rapid rate

Still head and shoulders above the situation in PNG.

When we finally got our second mobile phone network, the incumbent had seven-digit numbers and the challenger went with eight-digit numbers. Further, you couldnā€™t call a phone on one network from another phone on the other network.

So people literally had to have two phones.

Good times back inā€¦ 2008.

2 Likes

Mine is 0408 as well, but I didnt get my first mobile until 2001.

I got it as a back up to my landline as people used to complain that they couldnā€™t ring me on my home phone because I was constantly on dial up Internet :slight_smile:

It cost me $25 per month, no calls were included though.

It was a Nokia 3330, the same as a 3310, except that it had WAP (which was a very primitive Internet based service that gave you access to sports scores, weather info etc as a bit like a text message. It was REALLY slow, I recall that it ran at speeds of about 8 kbps :open_mouth:

1 Like

Optus had 0411, 0412 and 0413.
Vodafone had 0414, 0415 and 0416.
Telstra had 0417, 0418 and 0419.
When 040x was introduced, they were allocated the same 4th digits.
0400 was originally Onetel, but then became Telstra when they collapsed.
These allocations are still used today for new services (i.e. Only Telstra can issue a 0418 number) and weā€™re the general basis for allocations prefixes with higher third numbers, although there are some inconsistencies.

Ah yes youā€™re right. My memory faded a bit there :no_mouth:

Had an absolutely ridiculous situation today with Cyclone prep here in Townsville.

Live in an apartment building on the river.
Had about 90% of my verandah items inside in preparation

Checked the BOM advice this morning which clearly showed no bad weather in Townsville at all until later tonight

So decided we had some time to grab some extra essentials from Woolworths in preparation, and would complete our final clear up by lunchtime.

Went to Woolworths for about 20 minutes.

Came home and found my apartment door unlocked, freaked out and found my apartment mostly trashed.

Went out and found my entire verandah (including left over plants) had been literally chucked inside on my carpet, with plants spilling water and staining soil all over our carpet.

Found out the building manager had decided, without telling anyone, that he had decided on his own ā€œcurfewā€ for having everything off verandahs as 9am, and any items left after that were forcibly chucked inside at all apartments in the building.

Iā€™ve lived here for 6 months and this was literally the first time Iā€™ve ever even met the guy. Hadnā€™t heard a thing from him regarding the cyclone at all.

Apparently the lady below us just had him walk straight in without knocking while she was naked getting out of the shower.

Obviously had a massive argument with him about wrecking our carpet and leaving the door unlocked (we had $300 emergency cash on the kitchen bench), and he just said ā€œitā€™s your fault, you should have had your stuff in before the curfewā€, argued that no one ever told us about his self-imposed curfew, and that all BOM, emergency services advice given was that thereā€™d be no problems until night and he just didnā€™t care. He argued he didnā€™t need to give us any notice of his self-imposed curfew.

So now, itā€™s nearly 8pm, thereā€™s been no bad weather at all today, as expected, Iā€™ve got a ruined carpet and apparently thereā€™s nothing we can do as the building manager has the right to do whatever he wants to prepare in an ā€œemergency situationā€.

Iā€™d be firing off an email to REIQ. That is just not on! They still need to ask or have a entry notice to do that

2 Likes

Yeah go to your version of VCAT/Civil Claims, thereā€™s no way thatā€™s under the law.

Wasnā€™t it the same apartment that someone complained about Christmas Lights?

Ummm, no expert on this but is it possible to break the lease???

1 Like

You can if you issue breach notices to the agent and follow the procedure.

Well, this is quite random and I didnā€™t know where else to put it!

I found this in my hotel roomā€¦

I think I we need a TEN HD or a WIN HD hair straightener more than a 9HD oneā€¦ after all, TEN/WIN HDā€™s consistent lack of native HD can make ones hair stand on endā€¦

6 Likes

All youā€™re going to get for that is a Bex and a good lie downā€¦

1 Like

Just a random question for all you Mediaspyersā€¦
#How many times do you check the site?

• Once in a while
  • Daily
  • 2-10 times on an ordinary day
  • 10+ times on an ordinary day

0 voters

1 Like

this site fuels my crippling addiction to Strayan Media memes

3 Likes

German broadcasting authority requires streamers to have a broadcasting licence to stream to Twitch.

2 Likes