Random Thread

Re, should people other than heterosexual white males be better represented in the Australian media: Undoubtedly the answer is yes, but at the same time I obviously can’t speak for all minority groups.

As one of the few Media Spy members who’s openly autistic, I’m not a massive fan of the term “special needs” (as an adult, the term feels somewhat patronising) although I definitely loathe Bachelor in Paradise and Big Brother even more.

Either way, can we agree that TV producers in general (not just those in charge of reality TV) need to be doing a better job at representing people with a less than neurotypical mind? Even with those better shows on the public broadcasters over the past 12 months or so, I saw scenes of scenarios where people appeared not entirely comfortable to be placed in which probably shouldn’t have made it to air.

As an outsider looking in, there appears to be an almost unacceptable level of pressure put on people who appear on television for our entertainment and informational purposes. Social media commentary and the possibility you could be reviewed on Gogglebox or Media Watch (the former if you’re in the entertainment side of TV, the latter if you’re in the informational side) can’t help.

I don’t know how possible it would be for a show like this to be produced (even by the ABC, SBS and the independent production companies who commission shows for them), but one day I’d love to something on TV where marginalised Australians share their opinions about the few representations of people like them in the media with the rest of us. Perhaps you could say this concept is a kind of hybrid between Gogglebox and You Can’t Ask That, either way I reckon it’d be a must watch and a real eye opener for everyone in the Australian media industry.

4 Likes

Screenshot_20200723-132639~2

5 Likes

I must ask: I was scrolling through today’s comments, and I noticed that I was missing the Media Spy Legend title. I’m just wondering what happened to it?

Means you aren’t in the Top 10 and/or 25% of posters in the last month. The badges link explains the pre requisites to receiving the badges.

I’m a little confused though. People from last year still have their badge, plus people in the same month I got mine also have theirs.

They probably have kept up the amount of posts and you’ve obviously dropped off.

Ah right, that explains it. Thanks!

1 Like

The front page story in today’s The Sunday Telegraph in Sydney and Brisbane’s The Sunday Mail.

3 Likes

Pain does do weird things to people. The aura I get when I see ScoMo is one of durrrrrrrrr…

1 Like

While I’m sure the story is accurate, the way parts of that story read it’s like something you’d find in a North Korean newspaper. (beautiful aura)

4 Likes

People are going to start turning on the prime minister, the longer restrictions remain due to the pandemic, so time to rev up the propaganda machine.

3 Likes

"Leftie found bleeding on beach … " not sure what being left handed has to do with it - was that the arm she injured?

3 Likes

Or…being the Tele, they thought she was a left-winger?

1 Like

r/whoosh

I said the Tele, not me! I got it that it was her left hand. I’m trying to be funny.

I know some of you think my humour is weird but screw you. :laughing:

Yes, I know this joke was originally done by @Petarkco back in 2016.

But since it’s become relevant again tonight and probably will again in the future…

6 Likes

https://www.9news.com.au/national/cairns-chewbacca-prank-calls-relationship-break-down-revenge-queensland-news/aee52353-ae3b-4db3-9c00-5a9107dd9ab8

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Issues, Ideas, Suggestions

Over the past few weeks or so there has been talk on social media with people suggesting that Victoria’s CHO Prof. Brett Sutton is good looking person.

I must say he is a silver fox!

3 Likes

Photo No.5 makes me think he was once a contestant on a really bad 80s reality show but I know that Big Brother and Love Island didn’t exist back then. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: