Random Thread

Gee, amateur TV is doing well!

1 Like

They donā€™t line up in order of the ratings in Brisbane as 10 outrates ABC, however they do line up in the order of the original channel numbers 0, 2, 7 and 9 :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Didnā€™t think of that either

1 Like

MAD page from issue #515 making references to several Channel Nine programs. Donā€™t know if this belongs in ā€œTongue-in-cheek Mocksā€ or notā€¦

1 Like

When Animals ā€¦ would be Channel 7 series, I think!

2 Likes

Is the Australian version of Mad Magazine going the way of the US version which has stopped (or is going to stop) publishing new material outside of special editions?

Haha, probably.

1 Like

Fordā€™s exclusive earlier in the year about who he said was a big celebrity was nothing much about someone most people had forgotten about. So Iā€™m not expecting a lot tomorrow.

1 Like

Epstein: suicided or murdered?

Hereā€™s a bit of juicy gossip - I work in the Channel 7 building at Eveleigh (not for Channel 7) and I saw Gary Mehigan from MasterChef walking through the lobby.

Might be a new series in the works?

8 Likes

Donā€™t know where to post this, but hereā€™s a Block clip I recall seeing a few years ago, and it caught me cause the Telstra T-Box is featuredā€¦

P.S. That Panasonic TV they were buying wouldnā€™t be ā€œimpressiveā€ nowadays as itā€™s basically a MPEG-2 receiver and you would miss out on the ā€œHD channelsā€
1 Like

When did Panasonic start including MPEG-4 tuners? My 2010 Panasonic plasma does MPEG-4.

1 Like

Standard in 2011. Prior to that some models included the feature but it had to be manually activated.

Pana model list

3 Likes

Yep I recall I had to select the ā€œAdd MPEG-4 AVC channelsā€ when 9HD first started in 2015. Might have only been available after a firmware update too.

2 Likes

I did have a 2008 Panasonic TX-32LXD700A ($1,300 back then!) that would only decode MPEG2.

But it had two good features that most TVs today donā€™t have:

• Picture In Picture (only LG still seems to have this on most models - very handy for me to compare metro stations and regional affiliates side by side!).
  • Good quality sound. Of course you have to buy a sound bar for that these days! It made the bezels on the sides quite thick though, but I didnā€™t mind that.
2 Likes

I reckon youā€™re onto something!

4 Likes

A successful missing person search.

6 Likes

Ash Ketchum has finally won a Pokemon league in the most recent episode. Spoilers if you follow the English dub

Also, clips are floating around YT (including fansubs), but I wonā€™t link any

2 Likes

Australian television has had an obsession with dating/relationship/wedding-themed ā€œrealityā€ formats over the last few years. No less than 15 programs (to varying degrees of success) have been made covering just about every stage of a relationship, so how long will it be until thereā€™s a format which does the entire process in a single series?

Week 1: Participants find dates.
Week 2: Relationships become official.
Week 3: The newly formed couples make marriage proposals, much to the (quite understandable, because one week is way too soon) disapproval of their families.
Week 4: Weddings.
Week 5: The couples switch partners.
Week 6: With their set up for TV relationships in tatters, the couples try and retrieve their failing partnerships by holidaying on a tropical island.
Week 7: Divorce.
Week 8: Participants try and reunite with their for TV ex.
Week 9: Finale/Reunion Week, with manufactured drama/cat fights amongst contestants.

As much as something like this sounds like an absolutely horrible idea for a show, sadly I wouldnā€™t be overly surprised if one of the commercial networks eventually tries it! :confused:

2 Likes

Why do that when you can make 9 shows to fill your schedule throughout the year.