Random Thread

Just add a Block style challenge in there and it’s sure to be a ratings winner. Perhaps the couples could do up each other’s houses like House Rules instead.

1 Like

Don’t forget to call George to thank him for his years of service before you go to bed tonight. He didn’t have time to chat when I did it but I’m sure he appreciated the sentiment and I’m positive Telstra will appreciate the 39 cents I just contributed to their coffers.

“At the third stroke it will be 9.26 and thirty seconds…”

Vale George.

Thanks for the reminder! I tried to call but I could not get through, it must be congested with lots of people calling to wish the old mate goodbye.

RIP 1194

Apparently, the weather on 1196 is also being shut down tonight but I don’t think anyone will miss that quite as much :stuck_out_tongue:

https://twitter.com/danielbowen/status/1178627900616007681

3 Likes

The automated talking clock was launched in 1954, before then if you called the number for the talking clock you’d hear a female switchboard operator manually reading the time into a microphone

YouTube: vk3ase

4 Likes

This probably won’t happen, but I reckon it’d be great if a short “Thank you and Goodbye” message was played just after the third stroke at midnight as a mark of respect to all those who’ve used the service over the years.

That was the exact time that I was on the phone to him!

I will! I used to ring that one just as much as the 1194 prior to the Internet and having things so much more readily available.

I never called the weather line that much, but I do remember when the first Gulf War happened in 1991, none of us in the office had a radio or access to a TV, so we called the news number (1195?) to get an update.

In another life, when I used to configure PABX systems I often called 1194 to get the accurate time as in those days PABX clocks operated in isolation and were not synchronised to anything and sometimes we’d have to reset the clocks manually. Lots of calls to 1194!

4 Likes

Australia also used to have a national time signal radio station VNG in Lyndhurst that could be heard on SW radios on 4.5, 7.5 and 12MHz but it closed in 1987.

1194 got shut off before midnight. Outrage! :astonished:

2 Likes

George gave himself a well deserved early mark.

Reliable for over 60 years and lets us down at the last minute. The surge in callers wanting to hear his voice one last time probably overwhelmed the system.

I’m quietly disappointed there wasn’t more outrage over the passing of dear old George. It must be just the '80s nerds lamenting the end of time.

2 Likes

Amazing given all the strokes he had!

:laughing:

Boom! Tish! I’ll be here all week. Try the veal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I never thought the day I’d have to say this would arrive, but it’s time for me to have an indefinite break from contributing to Media Spy and perhaps hand the baton over to the next generation (even if I’m not that old myself :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) of media enthusiasts.

Thank you to the vast majority of members who’ve appreciated my commentary of the media on these forums over nearly eight years. Although there have been a few bumps along the way, it’s been a mostly enjoyable ride.

I’ll still be over on Twitter for anyone that hasn’t blocked me and perhaps one day, I’ll consider making a triumphant return to Media Spy if the level of discourse improves. But for now, this is SydneyCityTV logging off.

3 Likes

Noooooooooooo!!

WHY?

Do you mind if I ask what exactly has led you to come to this decision? :frowning: It’s a shame that you have decided to stop posting on Media Spy altogether, because I always enjoy reading your input on a wide range of topics and you were the one who actually introduced me to this forum. I guess I will still be seeing you over on Twitter and hopefully still on Popedia as well.

5 Likes

Well, that’ll be some big shoes to fill. Good luck with everything and thanks for your contributions with a wide variety of topics and information.

who’s going to like my posts within a minute of me posting them now? :frowning_face:

10 Likes

Very sad. Hope you find the time to pop back in now and then, if only occasionally.

2 Likes