Random Thread

Just seeing some of those single digit temps for the mainland locations and we’ll be getting 15 tomorrow.

1 Like

Just wondering what Sydney-based MediaSpyers think of the water restrictions.

If anything, I’m surprised it’s actually taken this long for water restrictions to kick in.

Sydney very much needs some decent rain. While the conditions have been dry for most of the last 18 months, it’s been particularly bad during April & May!

1 Like

I am actually surprised that water restrictions have been re-introduced for Sydney even though the desalination plant is in full swing.

Sydney Desal doesn’t produce enough to stop the dam levels declining.

2 Likes

In the UK, an ethical dilemma?

All that is required in this instance is this:

4 Likes

:arrow_right: :wastebasket:

3 Likes

Saw an ad for the nomination for Australian of the Year 2020 in The Age today. In the list of sponsors I notice Commonwealth Bank has been dropped as a major sponsor. I also notice there are two groups of newspapers - SMH/The Age/Financial Review and The Canberra Times/The Land/Newcastle Herald/Border Mail/The Examiner, as the result of Nine Entertainment selling off the regional papers to Antony Catalano-led consortium last month. While Nine Entertainment returns as a sponsor after more than a decade, the ABC remains the official TV broadcaster.

2 Likes

How do you even remember such things?

3 Likes

The sale hasn’t been completed yet, so at the moment Nine Entertainment still owns Australian Community Media.

2 Likes

Just want to have a quick vent.
So I was at work today when I had a notification appear on my smart watch advising that my home security alarm had activated. There was absolutely no reason anyone should be at my house. I checked my front security camera and there’s a random Ute sitting in my driveway. Security company calls me, they’re organising police.

Then I get a phone call from my partner, she has received a call from a random guy wondering why our alarm is going off.

Turns out, our real estate agent (we rent the house) has tasked a company to go through and check the smoke alarms today, but they never told us that this was happening.

I had to call 000 and cancel the police response to my house.

After work I went into the real estate office asking for an explanation and they’re angry with me for having my alarm on. (Usually I will leave it off for the day if i’ve been given an entry notice)
Long story short the real estate have told me that it was the smoke alarm companies responsibility to send an entry notice and the company forgot to send it. Apparently I was “not the first person who has made this complaint today”
I couldn’t believe how much of a stuff around it was!

4 Likes

Marijuana use is now legal in eleven US states and in DC, and will possibly be in another five states in the future.

1 Like

Bong on man!

It’s probably unlikely that any Australian state or territory (even more progressive ones like Victoria or the ACT) will legalise recreational marijuana use in the foreseeable future? Although I’m sure there’s quite a few people up in Nimbin who’d be all for it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Any such laws in the ACT and NT would probably be knocked down by the federal government.

2 Likes

Some time in the next 5 to 10 years IMO.
Australia simply doesn’t have the culture around marijuana usage that the US and Canada have, therefore it is simply not an issue on the same scale as it is in the US states that have legalised it.

1 Like

3 Likes

It seems to me that the vast majority of people aged 18-40 have tried it at least once (heck, I’d say most people aged 18-25 have tried harder stuff like E at least once), so I believe the culture is there.

It’s just that Australia is generally a more risk-averse place with a governmental culture that generally errs on the side of caution (by banning things) instead of potentially permitting something and having things go horribly wrong.

My belief is that we should aim to legalise most substances in order to obliterate the revenue stream of the underworld.

4 Likes