Random Thread

My eyes are all good,had my final check at the eye clinic,4 weeks after my cataract surgery.I have to consult an optometrist if I notice any changes in my vision,flashes,etc… I’m allowed to get a new prescription for reading glasses as I’ve been using cheap ones you buy from a chemist for the last month for reading a book,Kindle,phone or iPad screen

3 Likes

Vivid can fuck off.

It’s just pretty lights shone on a wall. Kids are the ones that are impressed. Save your money and just shine a torch at a wall. Same effect.

People who shouldn’t be allowed out of a house, let alone on public transport seem to come out just to be a bloody pest. Sticking prams in the way of everyone else, not being able nor willng to control your kids, not to mention tax payers dollars being blown on this shit.

Not to mention, its held in winter. Why? Are you trying to make people sick?

Any political party who campaigns on the platform to get rid of Vivid will get my vote.

1 Like

No political party is going to cancel an event that puts in excess of $100m into the economy of the city (and the state) - even if its “pretty lights shone on a wall”. It mightn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but very few events have the kind of return that Vivid does

Says the man that wants taxpayers’ dollars spent unnecessarily on a new video screen at Hunter Stadium.

2 Likes

What an odd hill to die on

We are down one screen. It needs to be replaced. Rather it spent in the Hunter than any more necessarily spent in Sydney. We have a case, Vivid has not.

Fine. Hand it over to the private sector and let them run it. No taxpayers dollars should be spent of this crap. 1000s of public sector workers deserve a pay rise, 1000s more need housing, hospitals and schools need more funding.

Fuck Vivid. Fuck it to where it belongs…in hell with the Giants.

No, I can see it for what it is. Complete and utter bullshit. If Vivid wants to run, fine. Sell it off to the private sector and charge appropriate rent to access public asset.

Also, you lot should know I have a different opinion and associated takes on things to what is considered “mainstream”. Like the drunk who had a go at my restless legs, move to a different carriage if you don’t like it.

Sorry, that is just as shit an argument as you put forward to canceling Vivid.

You might find this hard to believe, but it’s possible to have these kinds of events run by the Government and improve funding for other things (including pay rises). It doesn’t need to be an either/or situation.

Because it’s everyone else that’s the problem, not you - if you’re going to persist with this narcissistic attitude, you can spend more time in the penalty box.

1 Like

Have you seen the stadium? It needs a bit of a small reno job. Granted, not as big as the job that hospitals and schools need, but still.

I respectfully disagree. I cam see through the Vivid bullshit. I can find better things to spend tax dollars on.

Sell the rights off to the private sector.

So just because my opinion does not mesh well with others, I’m going to be shit canned?

There are lots of things that government funds could be better spent on (or spent less on) - the economic return that Vivid brings for what’s unlikely to be a large government investment (in the context of all Government spending) makes it worth it for what it brings culturally and socially to the state. Taking the axe to Vivid’s funding won’t magically see funding increased in other areas either.

I suppose if we want to withdraw the funding from Vivid, we could also do so from Law Enforcement, Healthcare, and Education too, why can’t the private sector run all of these things too? It’s not like our money is completely wisely used here either.

I’m fairly confident no one cares that you have a contrary opinion on most matters than other members - but the attitude to which you express it frankly stinks. Stop treating people with differing opinions as if they’re wrong or somehow defective in their thinking.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t it past a future government to do exactly what you’ve said. Especially if Dickhead Dom was kept in.

I am calling it for what it is. Vivid sucks, Vivid invites idiots in public, Vivid should be given the arse. I would not mourn its cancellation.

I’m not moving on it.

So I express things differently. I don’t set out to antagonise people, or treat people with disrespect because they have a different opinion. If you think i have, then I apologise, but that was never my intention.

Maybe I’m wired differently in such a way I make people uncomfortable when I express nyself. I can’t help that. Try as I might to train my brain to go in one way, natural instincts take over.

Threatening to put me “in the penalty box” doesn’t help.

The reason they started doing it was to bring people into the city in winter because ot was a ghost town in the winter months. It’s actually been quite warm so far this year. Some people are wandering around in t-shirts tonight.

I get your point about how huge this event has become now but they seem to do a good job controlling the crowds. I went out there earlier tonight but the crowds started surging about 8pm so have left now.

You come across as just miserable, not liking something is fine but I don’t understand your hatred for things you dislike. Just relax and don’t engage with things you don’t like.

7 Likes

I don’t think of it as hatred. I just don’t like it. Again, i have a different way of expressing it.

I can tell lot don’t want me back, I’ll see myself out.

:pensive:

Shitting on major events like this wouldn’t happen in Melbourne… just saying.

3 Likes

You always have to make it a Melbourne vs Sydney thing. :joy:

Well this thread turned into a downer ? I have no what Vivid is but I actually thought that Cranky just misspelt Covid :toilet::toilet:

Don’t leave me El Captain Cranky the truth is my killer will miss you :mask: all through my gosh and existence.

Slightly bit wasted :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wanna ride some horsies or at least kiss them .

5 Likes
5 Likes

This year, the Royal Botanic Gardens started charging people to view their Vivid light displays and according to them they are still getting 8000 people through there every night. The media is reporting that there’s a financial crisis in Australia at the moment, yet you see that there are so many people out there who are still willing to pay $40 for things that had been free.

1 Like