Random Thread

I remember adults saying this as a child growing up in the 90’s

It was a reasonable deal in 1996 in Darwin

I’ve got most of my PPE gear now that I need for my work placement as a traffic controller. I finally worked out how to wear the hard had and attach the brim :+1:now wearing my new boots to get used to them. I should be good to go.I’ll either really like this job or hate it but I won’t know until I try it.I’ll have to learn to deal with some a##ehole drivers out there who wont want to obey a traffic controller holding up a SLOW/STOP bat.
My other option that I was going to try if this doesn’t work out is maybe learn to drive a forklift and get a ticket .or maybe get a MR or HR license and become a bus driver but they often get attacked these days by unruly passengers :confused:

2 Likes

Traffic controllers cop so much crap from impatient drivers so I always try to give them a smile or a wave. They probably don’t care, but at least I know that I wasn’t rude to them.

Good luck with the new job, hope you enjoy it.

3 Likes

This is only my work placement,after I’ve completed the 20 hours I’ll be assessed to see if I perform ok ,then I can apply to traffic control companies ,I’ll also lodge my traffic controller accreditation form with QLD transport. I think some traffic control companies will supply your PPE gear if you work for them all the time ,I know most Traffic controllers work for more than one company if they want more hours. I won’t mind if I’m placed on a job for 1 -2 weeks then I don’t work for a month,that would suit me for now

2 Likes

Really disappointing to see the lack of media coverage on the Central West Gas Leak. Bathurst, Lithgow, Oberon and surrounding areas have been out of gas since late last night due to a leak under the Macquarie River.

Bathurst has been told it will be about 2 weeks for gas to come back online. Smaller towns like Lithgow will have to wait a bit longer.

The RFS and Army have been deployed to help with the workload. Every single residential gas valve has to be shut off before gas can be reconnected safely.

The hospitals in the area have all had their connections restored, thankfully.

Businesses have been forced shut, potentially waiting a couple of weeks before they can operate again.

All this during the coldest November period since 1988 :person_facepalming:

5 Likes

I’m hearing news about it from my friends at home, it sounds awful. My tenants are on solar hot water and electric/woodfire heating, so luckily they’re not affected.

The resolution time and lack of coverage is pretty emblematic of how things are seen and done west of the mountains - that is to say, they aren’t.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Now I know Baz McCullum got one from 54 balls, but what’s the fastest thread reply ton in MediaSpy history? Coz the Cricket rights thread is about to hit it…:joy: (technically already past 100 if you count deleted posts)

1 Like

Virtually any “relaunch” thread - they go HAYWIRE when there’s a graphic refresh, new logo or new set!

2 Likes

I have a job offer after 3 months since I left my last job.It’s for a pharmaceutical company in Capalaba ,Brisbane though that is really Redlands council area,about a 25 minute drive from home.So many non Brisbane residents struggle to pronounce this properly :blush:It won’t be heavy lifting,packing boxes of pharmaceutical products.I’ll see how I go .I’ll be paid a casual rate by the employment agency who referred me.
I wonder if this workplace allows their staff to listen to a radio while working,I’ll soon find out.

6 Likes

I have worked in a few chemists and they don’t usually let you, but every pharmacy is different.

This is a pharmaceutical warehouse/factory

1 Like

Ah alright, unsure then. Good luck!

1 Like

After 3 months off I’m ready to work again.Have had a really good break,feel better mentally and physically and I’m going to give this my best shot.I haven’t heard back yet about the work placement as a traffic controller. I’m not young anymore but not yet old enough to retire. I don’t want to withdraw any more of my super otherwise I’ll have none left.I used some to buy my car and have needed more recently to live on as my long service money as almost gone :confused:

3 Likes

The federal government wants us all to work for longer,if I’m able to I will

2 Likes

As someone who’s never been to Brisbane, I won’t embarrass myself by trying to pronounce this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t do 2 jobs at once,as, I have to see how long this job lasts as I’ll only be a casual .It’s 3 weeks since I do my traffic controller course I’ve still got 2 months to do the work placement and apply with Qld Transport for a traffic controller accreditation

2 Likes

If you don’t mind me asking what were you doing before you decided to do traffic control? I’m basically going through the same thing at the moment. recently left my last job of 12 years and now it’s either I do basically the same thing but with a different company or I go and get either an IT help desk job or a telesales role. Or I do something completely different and go and get my individual support cert.

1 Like

I was working at an acrylic factory,. I worked there for 29 years. They are a family owned business,started 50 years ago next year by the 2 brothers who own the business.They started off small and grew to the large company they are today.They are based in Brisbane ,they also export most of their products,especially the motor vehicle accessories,the section I worked in.It was only process work I was doing but they were a great company to work for .I was going through some personal issues,physical and mental health problems,and I was getting cranky at work so I made the decision to leave as I felt I’d let all my workmates down behaving this way. I don’t mind if I do a similar job,it will be a change for me.So will working as a traffic controller if I still wish to do that

2 Likes