Random Thread

For some reason when i click on a thread with an orange circle and new replies that on my laptop Windows 10 instead of linking me to the latest post it goes back several hundred back.

3 Likes

Same thing happening for me.

1 Like

And me.

1 Like

Good - glad itā€™s not just me. Seems to have only started today though.

1 Like

Same

1 Like

Getting the same thing on my phone, but itā€™s sporadic. I remember this happening a little while ago, not sure how they fixed it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve completed the Traffic control course,next I have to do 20 hours work placement under supervision and apply with QLD transport for a traffic controller accreditation.I also need the correct PPE gear. steel capped books,trousers with reflective strips,hard hat with brim and hi -viz work shirt. I have my new prescription sunglasses,they should be ok to wear ,I also need a two way radio .Iā€™m willing to give it a go ,see if I can do it , I heard it pays well
I might need to supply my own STOP/SLOW bat as well,Iā€™ll have to contact the company I did the course with to make sure

2 Likes

Iā€™ll make sure I donā€™t as I burn easily,will also make sure I have plenty of cold water to drink once I start my work placement with summer not far away.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to see my GP and get her to sign the accreditation form before I apply to QLD Transport,because of my arthritis in knees ,to say if I will be able to perform my duties as a traffic controller,:slightly_frowning_face:I still want to at least try it ,not giving up yet

1 Like

Thought Iā€™d better pop this in here, but if you have stuff to send OS for Christmas best you do this in the next month for the more popular locations and in the next fortnight or so for the places a little off the beaten track in order to ensure delivery before Christmas. Interstate postings Iā€™d get done about a fortnight or so before for regular and a week or so express just to be safe. Bit worried locally as of the 3 casuals we were supposed to get one got a promotion at another job she had at Coles (FT worker now) and left, another is going to be redeployed to be driving vans rather than sorting, and the third is thankfully still with us but is hoping her Airbnb doesnā€™t start charging more as sheā€™s from Sydney and found it easier to get an Airbnb rather than try her luck finding a rental in the area.

3 Likes

I am seeing a LOT of Halloween stuff at my shopping centre this morning eg face painting, kids in costumes, shops doing decorations and Trick or Treat.

Never understood why itā€™s only been in the last 5 years or so that its taken off here, I suspect the rise and rise of social media and all of its Americanisms are to blame.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with having fun events for kids though

4 Likes

Agreed, however, itā€™s not an Australian event. The fact we are basically forced to participate by ensuring we have something for the trick or treaters puts me off too. You either do it and answer the door for the kids or be the arsehole who sits there and ignores them.

2 Likes

Of course, not that thereā€™s anything wrong with the kids having fun, but I do think we are becoming a bit too Americanised.

2 Likes

We teach our kids about stranger danger and not to go near people they donā€™t know, then one day a year, knock on anyoneā€™s door and plead for lollies.

Itā€™s just stupid IMO.

10 Likes

Couldnā€™t like this post anymore if I tried.

When I do think about Halloween and how people say that its not Australian and how in Australia we should not celebrate it. I find it hypocritical for them to celebrate holidays such as Christmas and Easter which are also holidays that are not Australian.
I mean, Halloween had only caught on here since the late 2000s. I remember as a kid, Trick or Treating and it was about 30 degrees outside.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re a little different though. Easter and Christmas are and always have been part of religious belief practised by a large majority of Australians. Halloween isnā€™t attached to a specific practised religion in this country.

1 Like

Everyone has been saying Halloween has ā€œbecome a big thing in the past five yearsā€ for about the past decade now. Not exactly sure in my experience. Sure, children love it. For most young adults itā€™s just an excuse to party.

3 Likes

Prior to living in the US I always thought Halloween was a stupid concept and like many others I hated the idea of yet another American tradition taking over. I saw it as a bunch of kids leeching for free shit from people they didnā€™t know.

However after living here and seeing how much the kids enjoy it I have come around. Itā€™s not a bad thing. Kids these days donā€™t have as much interaction with other people as they used to. With the way society is going that may not be a bad thing but for one night a year they get to dress up and go and talk to people. And they love it. Let them have their fun for one night, regardless of how stupid it may seem.

Also if you donā€™t want to participate you donā€™t have to. Many in the US donā€™t either. If you have no decorations up and your outside lights are off no one even comes to your door.

5 Likes