Random Thread

Perhaps in a foreign language it translates to:

“I’m moving to SBS!”.

3 Likes

Its Latin.

It’s a 1st-century BC text by Roman statesman and philosopher Cicero with words altered, added, and removed to make it nonsensical and improper Latin.

Nah. It translates to: “I can’t believe they axed Chris Bath for me, either!”

6 Likes

Maybe a few years ago you could say that, but I can’t imagine Chris Bath being a 6pm newsreader on Seven (or Nine, if the opportunity arose) nowadays.

She’s a far better newsreader than both Ferguson and Overton. She’s wasted on Ten.

We should call it VII Nuntium with Marcus Fergerous.
Note: Nuntium is Latin for “News”

1 Like

This ad aired on TV here in Washington DC tonight, for an asthma medication, featuring a man on a train.

The mildly interesting part: the train is a Sydney train. I’m fairly sure the station at the end is Olympic Park.

2 Likes

The whole ad was filmed at Olympic Park station.

1 Like

I saw that ad the other day and recognised the train and platform design as being very Sydney trains. Couldn’t place the station, however. Never been to Olympic Park station, only ever driven there.

2 Likes

There’s a medicine ad that I saw air on a San Francisco station that looked like an Australian street and I looked it up, and yep it was filmed entirely in Australia and dubbed. Apparently been happening for a while. Must be cheaper to film the ads in Australia?

1 Like

Happens in reverse too. Usually due to availability of talent.

These were a series of commercials for a Northern NSW Building Society starring Jerry Seinfeld shot on Long Island, New York.

3 Likes

I remember those ads, they were on constant rotation for a while there.

Didn’t realise they were shot in New York, but I do vaguely remember there being coverage about Seinfeld not coming to Australia despite being the face of the Greater Building Society.

2 Likes

Didn’t realise they’re nearly 10 years old. Here’s an article with more context about them.

1 Like

4 Likes

I was watching a video of someone playing Mario Party Allstars on the Nintendo Switch, but with all the in-dialogue replaced with text generated from a AI, and somehow during a sequence with Bowser, it had brought up a quote from Media Watch during Jonathan Holmes’s run :thinking:

6 Likes

I’d watch Bowser host Media Watch one day tearing down the ‘fake Mario media’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Reports that Comcast wants to spin-off NBC Universal and almost merged it with video game company Electronic Arts but talks fell through last month.

1 Like

Probably a too random topic for the random thread, but here we go.
so… you know what I’ve never gotten? How people sometimes refer to stores like they’re going to a person’s house. What I mean is when people say “I’m going to Myer’s” or “Doing a grocery trip at Aldi’s” I never got that - I would usually say “I’m going to Myer”.

1 Like

Very random lol.

But I agree. The ‘s’ isn’t necessary and akin to ‘expresso martini’ & ‘aksed’ (instead of asked) vocabulary :rofl:

1 Like

A bit like using the word “gotten”. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like