Random Thread

How’s this for random?

During a recent (and obviously not-pandemic influenced) ​dream, I accidentally bumped into Kamahl at a shopping centre food court, while on my way to a cinema on the next floor up. Not really sure why I dreamt about Kamahl as he isn’t a celebrity I’ve been thinking particularly deeply about lately, but the conversation went something like this…

I then woke up…and wondered ​how Kamahl really feels about the fact that many people would primarily know him for that (in?)famous catch-cry he’s done during what would seem to be most of his media appearances over the last few decades.

Either way, I could definitely believe that Kamahl won’t be watching Hey Hey We’re 50 once Seven eventually air it!

4 Likes

I have a confession to make.

On Tuesday night, I listened to Martika’s 'I Feel The Earth Move" on my phone (I have no idea why I put that song on).

It made me think “there hasn’t been an earthquake for a little while”.

Then yesterday happened.

4 Likes

So it was YOU!!! :wink:

4 Likes

No joke, I had a dream on Tuesday night that I was running away from some sort of impending natural disaster. I wake up the next morning and there’s an earthquake. Funny how things happen like that.

1 Like

I was blaming my Nan. My Nan passed away on Saturday and while it sucks and is sad it’s a good thing because she’s been unhappy for a few years and was just too strong and the body just kept going despite the failing bits. She just fell short of the card from the Queen which would have come in November.

Anyway, while we loved her she was definitely a woman we would not want to get on the wrong side of. She passed on Saturday and then on Sunday we had some of the strongest winds we’ve had and then we had temps of 25 in the state yesterday and now there’s meant to be snow to sea level tonight and the earthquake as well, we’ve just all been blaming Nan for all these things.

Started the year with 3 grandparents but now down to 1 but with one passing at 95 and the other passing at 99 and the remaining one about to turn 93 next month I can’t complain that we didn’t have them long enough.

If anybody is interested, here’s a bit of my Nan’s stories and a few of the firsts she had and first hand memories of the Launceston floods in 1929 which there aren’t many left who were alive then.

https://www.facebook.com/humansoflaunceston/posts/1431448820589936

8 Likes

Wow, that’s a good run.

My family doesn’t have particularly long lifespans.
My eldest grandmother died in 1987 at 87, the other in 1986 at 83.
Both my parents died at the same age - 80 - in the last decade.
And my grandfathers, I never met either, died at 56 and 69 back in the 50s/60s.
Of course, that was when everyone used to smoke.

2 Likes

What do you mean? Dying in their 80s is fairly good! Especially that consistently.

3 Likes

80s is OK, but no one has made it into their 90s yet.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing your nan’s story. She lived a very interesting life and well done to her for having the vision to buy property, especially at a time when women were meant to stay at home and look after the family.

5 Likes

It’s quite funny, we always thought that my other grandmother would be the first one to go, she smoked for 60+ years before giving up about 10 years ago and she’s the last one remaining and going really well still considering the mid-90’s age and losing her husband earlier this year. She’s a bit slower but still generally moves around unaided and gets a little muddled but nothing compared to others her vintage.

My grandparents in law all passed in their 80’s, spent the first few years of my marriage attending their funerals except for the first one who I never met. I may have been blamed for them all dropping off in quick succession.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I love hearing some older stories and just how different things were and while there’s a couple of things that aren’t completely correct in there it was amazing to see what she’d done and been able to do.

2 Likes

As a Funeral Director’s Assistant, your thoughts are with us.

3 Likes

An American’s video of part of the practice for tonight’s Riverfire. “Flashback to 911”.

As most have pointed out it is only the perspective in the video makes it look like the plane is weaving through skyscrapers when it is really following the river.

Made the mainstream media as well.

3 Likes

That’s why we can’t have fun things.

3 Likes

Bring back the F1-11!

3 Likes

Move over Peter Overton…

10 Likes

I don’t like the disruptions and confusion it causes across the country.

3 Likes

I just hate the fact that I lose an hour of sleep on the first day :joy:

4 Likes

Rather than have Daylight Savings for half of the year, we have it all year round or none at all.

2 Likes

We have a thread to discuss Daylight Saving in, you know!

9 Likes

All good. From a Sydney perspective, I think the start date of DST is just about perfect. Most years it coincides with a long weekend and the NRL Grand Final, the combination of which is fast becoming an unofficial start to Summer for us.

On the other end of the scale, DST ending on the first weekend of April (this year, smack bang in the middle of the Easter long weekend) is a bit awkward. I think most Sydneysiders would be happy if DST continued until Late April/Early May so we can enjoy that late afternoon/early evening sunlight every Easter and during the Autumn school holidays.

That said, I completely understand and accept the fact that what works best for Sydney isn’t necessarily ideal for all Australians! :slight_smile:

5 Likes