Random Thread

Pin an empty packet of Twisties to your chest. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well as you know, lifeā€™s pretty straight without them!
Worth a try maybe!?

1 Like

Itā€™s not propaganda. Itā€™s a genuine public service.

My manager has organised fortnightly meetings starting this week where we just dial in and chat. You can talk about any personal or work issues. We had our first one on Tuesday and it was supposed to go for half an hour but it ended up going for nearly an hour. Already learnt a lot about workmates which I didnā€™t know before.

13 Likes

Weā€™ve had daily dial-in meetings since the pandemic started. The only agenda item is really ā€œtalk shitā€, and itā€™s great. We were a pretty close-knit group when we were in the office so itā€™s been really nice to carry that over to a virtual environment.

2 Likes

In my new job i started a month ago the guys i work with are scattered across the east coast - Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. becuase of our weekly talk shit sessions on webex its been great to get to know them outside work and will be something i will be pushing to keep

2 Likes

Big outage with the Bank of Qldā€¦ luckily I was able to do what i had to do with internet banking yesterday and my card worked on transactions yesterday.

Internet banking is still down .

3 Likes

Has anyone been attacked by these fuckers yet?

Iā€™ve normally been attacked by a couple by now, but so far I havenā€™t and letā€™s keep it that way - knocks on wood

2 Likes

Not yet this year, although still a few months to go.

Nope in my area it is these that swoop though never seen anyone injured by them

I was attacked by one as a kid on my way home from school. I was about 100 metres from my house and by the time I got home my back was saturated with blood. These days when I walk I tie my hair up into a ponytail and swing it when Iā€™m near the nest. Hopefully this will keep them away.

2 Likes

Yep, no issues with magpies here in Tassie. Have just been away for the weekend and was sitting out on the deck where we were staying this morning and watching them all fly around and listening to their calls. Had a couple join me at times.

The plovers however are the ones weā€™ve always needed to avoid. Apparently they have a spur on their wing or it might be just the males but Iā€™ve never heard of anyone hurt but geez theyā€™ve come close a few times! We used to have the school athletics carnival and several of the races were impacted - luckily I was not athletic so I was never in for a placing anyway but around that section of the track youā€™d need to take a dive and crawl a bit before running for another lap.

1 Like

I had a close call this afternoon while I was washing my car.

Was biking yesterday with a few others and one almost scooped on one of the guys in front of me. Needless to say we all sped up and got out of that area ASAP.

Ahhh, the old ā€œbulging discā€ on the autocue blooper. :joy:

And a flashback to 1995 when ESPNā€™s Steve Levy had the same unfortunate slip-up.

4 Likes

I think a newsreader on 2GB also made that same gaffe many years agoā€¦

2 Likes

Very easy to do and Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a lot more who have. Iā€™ve made a couple of slip ups in my other role as a quizmaster at times which can cause some embarrassment. The other is when teams try to get me to slip up with names because I do like to try and keep them clean and family friendly - Iā€™m proud to say thereā€™s only one that I didnā€™t pick up on until I read it ā€œThe Test Eaglesā€.

2 Likes

A flashback to 2011ā€¦

We know about the bitter rivalry between the QLD and NSW premiers of recent, ranging from State of Origin to border closures; a decade ago they were their respective statesā€™ transport ministers!

Also, Daniel Andrews was Victoriaā€™s Opposition Leader, and was three years away from winning government. Ted Baillieu was Victorian Premier at the time.

7 Likes

From memory, Gladys was just as bad as Transport Minister (canā€™t imagine there being any love for her in those Western suburbs she took away train services from while in that position) as she is as Premier. But I digressā€¦

1 Like

For people like me who walk to work, I would be worse off because Iā€™m now paying more for electricity and my computer chair, trakkies and ugg boots will need replacing more often.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t been attacked since 2019 AFL Grand Final Day when I wandered through an area without a cap on (I almost always have some sort of head wear on), and an attack drew blood from the top of my head. When training I always make sure if Iā€™m going through an area to maintain eye contact, even if it means running backwards and slower, or to go through when itā€™s closer to sunrise or sunset when theyā€™re less likely to see you.