Random Radio

Triple M started broadcasting football in 1997.

1 Like

As I recall, K-Rock when the converted to FM in 1991 were the first AFL FM broadcaster and promoted themselves as FM ā€œFootball Magicā€ with the late great Teddy Whitten. Must admit Iā€™m still on 774/3LOā€¦although at the time I did listen a bit to 3XYā€™s football calls with Eddie McGuireā€¦

3MMM only came on to the scene circa 1997 courtesy of Lee Simon - per the font of all knowledge Wikipedia!

1 Like

didnā€™t K-Rock have a low power transmitter at the MCG? I have vague memories of picking it up at cats games

i98FM Wollongong used to cover the Illawarra Steelers (and later St George Illawarra Dragons) matches until the 2001 season, using their own call team. This dated back to when the Steelers first entered the NSWRL competition in 1982, in which 2 Double 0 covered the matches.

According to this piece of audio, One FM 96.1 covered the Penrith Panthers matches during the 1993 season. Again, this dated back to when its AM predecessor, 2KA, used to cover the matches.

2 Likes

I think they used to rebroadcast the K-Rock signal on FM88 at the "G. Not sure if they still do.

Whether you follow AFL or NRL, enjoy your Grand Final this weekend! Go Weagles (I donā€™t believe Iā€™m writing this, but some options are just too hard to accept)

1 Like

I canā€™t tell you of they still do - I havenā€™t been to the G in about 13 years (thats the one thing i hate about living in brisbane) and the only time iā€™ve been able to get to friday night footy in melbourne it was at etihad.

and yes, as a carlton supporter i say go the weagles.

1 Like

Up the pies!!!

Yes, 1993 was the last year that 2KA/One FM covered Panthers matches.

1 Like

I could NEVER imagine them doing that now as The Edge.

when 3KZ converted from AM to FM in 1990 to become KZ-FM they continued the football broadcasts until the end of the 1991 season when they exited calling the football, changed its name to the current Gold 104 and focused on all oldies music. ā€œKZ-FM IS Footballā€ doesnā€™t have the same ring as the former ā€œ3KZ IS Footballā€

3 Likes

Thaanks

I thought 3KZ was doing the radio coverage when I was young. I know 3GL changed to K-Rock but I think Ted Whitten left by then.

3EE is Football

Speaking about Rugby League, I notice Macquarie Sports Radio is broadcasting the Storm into Melbourne which is fantastic but I loved 3AK coverage of around 1999-2000 with Arthur Higgins being just bias as Gus Gould and Ray Hadley and loving the Talkback caller after the game and the Sydneysiders and Queenslanders ringing up to complain about the bias coverage.

1 Like

Absolutely agree. Just looking at the longer term trends over the last 45 years (data sourced from ABS, although bizarrely 2016 census data for areas like Newcastle is really hard to find ), here are some thoughts:

• Perth is growing at a rate that probably two licences should be auctioned. With the transfer of 6MM to FM, I would auction one AM licence on 1116 and auction one FM licence.
  • Gold Coast is the other stand out with services not matching population growth. Given the FM congestion, I would look for one of the soon to be abandoned AM frequencies in a nearby solo market for at least one extra station.
  • Canberra, I would convert one AM to FM. This effectively means that there is a ā€œstandardā€ ratio of 3 FM to 1 AM in a larger non-capital market.
  • Sydney also arguably deserves an extra FM service and with Melbourneā€™s growth outstripping Sydney, I canā€™t see it being far behind.

3 Likes

Would 1116 be too close to 6IX on 1080?

They could use 1530, which was at one point proposed to be the 6PR frequency for Perth southside (with 882 to be moved to Hammersly).

Whilst 106.5 is not currently in use (as far as I know), I think 6PR has approval to use that in Waneroo and Rockingham as translators as 6IX does on 105.7.

Iā€™m not sure of the technicalities but Iā€™d say it would be ok. Brisbane has 1008 (4TAB) and 1161 (4BC) pretty close together - although not as close as that :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Sydney, thereā€™s 2RPH on 1224 & 2SM on 1269, which is only 45kHz apart.

Likewise in Melbourne with 3RPH on 1179 & SBS Radio on 1224.

Yes definitely agree with those.

In addition Brisbane either needs a new FM licence or at least a conversion FM licence. Itā€™s the most out of whack in terms of AM vs. FM services with 50% of commercial stations on FM. Also Iā€™m terms of growth rates itā€™s also back ahead of Perth in this regard.

Definitely think Canberra should get a conversion FM and GC another licence.

Outside of the bigger cities I think thereā€™s a case for a 3rd FM in Darwin to break the duopoly.

5 Likes

Though 1080 and 1116 is only 36 kHz apart, a bit closer again.

Also bearing in mind that in Sydney, 1224 is at Prospect and 1269 is at Homebush, having them at different sites would help.

Though 1116 could be at Hammersley whereas 1080 is currently at Ascot.

1 Like

Whats the best app to know where FM/AM transmitters are? Aus Towers App seems to have mobile phone towers covered, the radio one seems to not work (unless i have selected the wrong options).

I was next to the HHH transmitter this morning. No aerial needed on my USB receiver on my laptop. :slight_smile: Of course that would be the case but it the sort of thing I like to test. The computer is the best device (more software options) to measure reception.

However, I donā€™t carry my laptop around everywhere, I use my Sangean DT-120 to test reception. What is your fav pocket radio to test reception? I have another Bush pocket radio for DAB, but it is not the best model to monitor reception as the screen goes off.

1 Like

This app may be what youā€™re looking for, although itā€™s only for iOS devices.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id481877174?ls=1

The Tecsun PL-390 is my favourite to test FM/AM reception. The Sangean DPR-34 is not bad either, particularly for DAB+ reception, though not as detailed as the Tecsun for FM signal testing.

2 Likes

Not an app, but on a Windows PC, the Google Earth program with the transmitter placemarkers (a KMZ add on file available from ACMA) for AM, FM and DTV transmitters is absolutely brilliant.