Random Radio

Remember, they had innovative owners back then.

The local ABC was 4AA and on a different freq to the commercial freq.

Would’ve needed a filter. It happens when a TX site is a long distance and there’s locally a new service. Eg. 106.9 The Knobby around Lowood etc for ABC TV from Mt Coot tha in 1990, there’s been an article from the archives posted here in the past.

Would love to hear.

Because people are not smart. Look at the 4RO ratings, not high, not many there are interested.

It’s simple. Original 4MK on 1026 begins translator in Airlie on FM 91.5

DMG buy FM licence and move 4MK program to FM licence. Airlie translator for 4MK, already on FM, remains on that freq, logical reasoning.

Intervening years, Grant Broadcasters buy into the market, put the 4MK program back on AM in Mackay and new format on the former FM slot for 4MK.

But nothing changes in Airlie because it didn’t the first time. Makes sense. Translator stays with the station not whatever goes on in Mackay.

When 4MK went FM, the AM easy listening station owned by Gamble/Griffith farming families/Macq Bank took over 4MK’s old freq of 1026. What freq translator was it on in Airlie? There you go, problem solved.

2 Likes

You’re thinking of 4QAA which started out as as the local ABC station 4QA on 720AM then 756AM and moved to 101.1. It’s in Airlie Beach on 89.9 (though that has the callsign of 4ABCRR)

It’s also simple… If it changed frequency in Mackay, it “should have” also changed frequency in Airlie. But it didn’t. Yes, I can see why not. I just thought it was worth noting.

1 Like

Kyle and Jackie O sent Intern Pete over to The Grill Team at Triple M for Working Naked Day this morning. Radio really is entertaining when stations prank each other like this.

Kyle reacted to some old tapes from his early radio days yesterday. There were more today including a phone call from his old on air colleague at 4CC in Gladstone. I’m hoping they clip that up and put online.

Driving home today when I was closer to Brisbane I listened to DAB radio ,The 90s and Old Skool in my rental Mitsubishi ASX before I had to drop it off at Brisbane Airport .I was able to receive DAB signal just past Caloundra .

3 Likes

It’s another week, so the countdown of the “State of the States’ LAPs” continues…

In my opinion, Tasmania actually has the right number of commercial licences – just not in the right places, so this review is like a rubics cube of relocation. Not one LAP has growth exceeding the Australian average of 13% over the last fifteen years, which adds to the challenge. I am not sure Grant Broadcasters will like all my thoughts - see what you think!

BURNIE:

Burnie is a low growth area with the Devonport LAP overlap area growing at a faster rate of 8%. With Burnie and Devonport less than 50km from each other, not unsurprisingly there is significant networking between the Burnie and Devonport areas. (In fact, 7AD commenced as 7UV Ulverstone in the overlap area). Even the local AFL competition covers both towns (NWFL). Accordingly, I am proposing that the Burnie and Devonport licence areas be merged to form a new North West LAP with the 7AD licence transferred to the Launceston LAP. This would result in both the Launceston and North West areas each having 2 FM and 1 AM licence – meaning more choice for listeners. The incumbent owners, Grant Broadcasters should be given 12 months to sell one station in each licence area. I suspect that 7DDD would be relaunched as Chilli with 7BU sold. The 7BU transmitter may need a power increase to cover the full North West LAP.

DEVONPORT:

Refer Burnie comments with one additional change – that portion of the Devonport licence area east of the Tamar River would be transferred to the Scottsdale licence area, given this is a more natural break of licence areas (as well as providing some critical mass to Scottsdale). This should result in an overall licence area for North West of circa 104,000 with an overlap of 2,000 with Launceston.

HOBART:

Although Launceston and Hobart both had 2 licences each from 1940 -1990, given the population differences, it is unlikely to be acceptable politically that Launceston receiving an extra service is not matched by an extra service in Hobart. Furthermore similar to Darwin, as a capital city there is probably a greater capacity for advertising per capita. Accordingly, one extra licence is required (even though just short of the 250,000 population criteria I set for four licences). The unused AM licence from Queenstown should be transferred on the following conditions:

• The 7XS licensee must continue to operate the Queenstown 7AUS FM licence with existing hours and local content;
  • 7XS will only receive a Hobart DAB allocation, whilst it is connected to 7AUS and based in Hobart;
  • a supplementary licence will not be issued for 7AUS, however 7XS could be returned; and
  • 7XS and 7AUS must always be sold together with any purchaser subject to the same conditions.
    The Hobart licence area should be modified slightly by adding the Southern Midlands through to Oatlands (currently unserved by commercial radio) and transferring Bicheno through Coles Bay to the Scottsdale LAP.

LAUNCESTON:

Quite clearly, the 7AD licence is proposed to be transferred to the Launceston LAP. Similar to the North West LAP, the incumbents would have 12 months to sell a licence. Two obvious strategies for Grant Broadcasters in preparing for sale (assuming they sell the AM:

• Similar to 2AY in Albury-Wodonga, reverse migrate LAFM to the old 7LA frequency (leaving 900AM vacant, potentially for Hobart use) with LAFM becoming SeaFM; and
  • Relaunch 7AD as say Tamar Radio 7TR

QUEENSTOWN:

With a declining population and less than 5,000 people it is no surprise that ACMA turns a blind eye to the fact that the AM licence is effectively non-operational (and to be honest, who could blame the operators with this size market for almost closing shop). To ensure viability, it is proposed that the AM licence be transferred to Hobart LAP effectively meaning the “cost” of a “free” new Hobart licence is the ongoing maintenance of the Queenstown licence (call it a loss leader – Coles seem to do this often with Coke!). Given the current size (and relative isolation) of the existing Queenstown LAP, there would seem very limited scope to expand the current licence area. (Derwent Bridge just outside the current LAP has a pub with standard fare and basic accommodation along with a population of 23 per the ABS…ok the pub bit is when I last was travelling through).

SCOTTSDALE:

Another tough area to service, however the proposed answer involves expanding the licence area in two directions:

• Transfer of George Town from the Devonport LAP, even though it will in part continue to overlap with the Launceston LAP (est population 6,800); and
  • Transfer of Bicheno through Coles Bay portion of the Hobart LAP to Scottsdale LAP (est population 1,200) along with the inclusion of all villages from Bicheno through to St Mary’s. This is consistent with ABC Radio including Bicheno in the North Tasmania local radio area.

This would probably require relocating St Helens retransmitters to St Mary’s. If I was Grant Broadcasters, I would probably follow the lead of their Bega sister station and relaunch 7SD as East Coast Radio 7EC.

2 Likes

You should have tried Smooth and Easy Hits :slight_smile:

I usually find myself flicking between Smooth, Easy Hits, The 80s, The 90s, Triple M Greatest Hits and Classic Rock in the car.

Yes Caloundra is where I can normally start to get DAB in my car when heading south towards Brisbane.

Did you sample Zinc 96 in your travels? I find it a great listen when I’m up that way and it’s got a huge range fr north of Maryborough to Caloundra

2 Likes

No I didn’t try Zinc I should have

1 Like

Never a hit in New Zealand… which is unusual considering our love for Brit pop/new wave…

Would have been great on ZMFM’s playlist alongside Ultravox, ABC, Erasure and Spandau…

First time I heard this was on an Elvis Duran aircheck - from the top of the Empire State to all time zones around the world.

A song about a couple making love while an atomic bomb drops.

1 Like

The first ratings survey of the year must be just about upon us.
During Nine News Sydney tonight, I saw ads for NOVA and KIIS.

The Hot AC stations (plus 2Day) are always much more heavily promoted.
They seem to be the ones with more $$$ at stake.
It’s not as often that you see Triple M, Smooth or WS ads on TV as a result.

2 Likes

I believe Survey 1 is January 22 to March 4, 2018.

So we’re right in the middle of it.

5 Likes

Leading into the start of 2018 for Sydney… I’ve seen TV ads for KIIS and Nova only.

I’ve seen public/outdoor advertising (buses, bus stops, roadside/shopping centre digital ads) for KIIS, 2Day, Nova and WS.

I haven’t noticed anything for Triple M or Smooth.

1 Like

POSITIONS VACANT: SUSIE YOUSSEF AND RAY BADRAN ARE LOOKING TO RECRUIT

New original scripted comedy podcast from the ABC

“Is 2018 your year for a change? Looking for work? Think you have what it takes to make it in the start-up world? Well, you’re in luck. Because we’re CrApp and we’re hiring.”

CrApp or Creative Application Ltd, is a hot new start-up focussed on, you guessed it, creating apps, run by step siblings Ray (Ray Badran, Comedy Central) and Susie (Susie Youssef, Get Krack’n, Rosehaven & Squinters).

Applicants shortlisted for the current round of vacancies are comedians Hamish Blake, Gen Fricker, Ronny Chieng, Matt Okine, writer Benjamin Law and folk band All Our Exes Live In Texas.
Do they have the making of a CrApp employee?

Positions Vacant is an original scripted comedy from Australian comedians Ray Badran and Susie Youssef. In the style of a job interview, they interrogate their famous guests by asking the most embarrassing questions possible. The guests have been told only that they have to turn each response into a positive.

Episode one – with Hamish Blake – is available now on the ABC listen app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your favourite podcasts.

Imagine if 2SM, 3XY and 4TAB were sold off to reform a true Classic Rock AM radio network. Nothing but great rock n roll.

4 Likes

Re, TV news simulcasts on radio:

I don’t know what the other stations that simulcast TV news bulletins do/did, but Hope 103.2 used to use 2UE for it’s hourly news during the day and at last check, is currently using Macquarie National News Sydney (ie, 2GB News).

I’m 99% sure Hope 103.2 relays the audio from Nine SD for their Sydney 6pm news simulcasts - that “buzzing” sound (audible on all Nine SD channels) can be heard if you listen closely enough!

In general, I agree that it’s somewhat pointless to simulcast the audio of a TV news service on radio but I guess it’s cheaper (in the case of community stations - the TV stations could be paying them to simulcast for all we know) than running regular programing.

2 Likes

Former 96fm breakfast host Fizti is on mix 94.5 on the jam for 2 weeks filling in for Sam.longley

1 Like

I believe 96five in Brisbane relays the audio from the standard Seven SD channel from a standard digital TV tuner.

2 Likes

It’s pretty much on the mark, delay is minimal. Anyway, the simulcast is intended for those away from the TV.

1 Like

Here is a interesting read. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks this :smirk:

3 Likes

Yes I remember this from a couple of years ago.

1 Like

I agree. It seems that in this day & age, most commercial FM stations in Australia, both metro & regional, are ‘afraid’ of playing anything earlier than 1980. Notable exceptions are Breeze & Triple M in some regional areas (ie. those that carry the “Classic Hits” format).

I was recently in NZ for a holiday & there are a few commercial FM stations across the country that still plays plenty of 60s & 70s music, even the nationally networked ones, such as Coast, Magic & The Sound. Although Magic is on AM in the bigger cities of Auckland, Wellington & Christchurch.

Radio in NZ is generally so much better than in Australia, at least in the music playlists department, with a wide variety of formats to choose from, even in some of the lower-populated areas. They even have a dedicated 80s station in XS80s on the FM band in some parts of the South Island, such as Christchurch, Dunedin & Wanaka (where I was based during my stay). :slight_smile:

4 Likes