Random Radio

Is this a subtle dig at AM radio, i.e. ‘only for dinosaurs’?

4 Likes

Perhaps even producers know jungles are awful terrain for FM?
But then AM wouldn’t fare much better.

3 Likes

Hell yeah a AM Car radio that covers the 160M amateur band lol

4 Likes

Seems about the right thing to do

Sad to hear of the passing of the legendary Bob Rogers.

From touring Australia with the Beatles, to hosting “Reminiscing” on 2CH until he was well into his 90s, there was very little that Rogers didn’t achieve in the realm of Australian broadcasting.

Rest in peace Bob.

6 Likes

Beau Ryan listening to Sirius XM’s Channel 36 Alt Nation on Top Gear Australia

3 Likes

As an aside – I know of numerous internet stations that don’t pay royalities. If I know who you are, they can figure it out too. You’ll have a big time problem if they chase you down. Frankly I hope they do.

1 Like
1 Like

They should be targeting Spotify and Apple Music instead… They’d be making a lot more money than radio.

3 Likes

Spotify/Apple don’t have a legislated arbitrary cap.

Also por que no los dos?

There are two kinds of listeners to most radio formats. Those who are actively listening and those who are passively listening. The vast majority fit into the passive category for a full time format (the exception being specialty shows). People who post to a forum like this are more likely to be active listeners. As such, you’re going to notice songs being “overplayed” before most everyone else.

One of the basic tenets of any kind of retro format (“Oldies” “Greatest Hits” “Classic Rock” “Classic Soul” – whatever) is familiarity. If most listeners don’t recognise most of the songs they hear, they’re going to change the station. As far as oldies go, there are about 500 songs that everyone knows. Taken as a whole, those songs need to rotate through the format at regular intervals or the station won’t sound familiar. You as an active listener will notice. Most others will not.

What is true is that you have to be very careful about those 500 songs.

A solution to temper the constant playing of “oldies standards” is to have a deep rotation of songs that play in between them. If you get it right (and it’s very hard) the station will “feel” like it has a deep playlist even though it’s playing some songs in shorter intervals. Many times listeners (and programmers) think it’s about dates. It really isn’t once you define your general era. You can play two or three sixties songs in a row (or '70s). It’s that balance of familiar vs. less familiar that you have to get right to create an overall sound.

Again, I want to stress that I’m referring to a 24/hr. a day format that lives and dies by people having it on in the background. Specialty shows are an entirely different thing.

Those shows should not repeat songs frequently because more listeners are actively listening. It’s an important distinction.

9 Likes

I was an active radio listener once but I’m not anymore,or I only listen to DAB stations or The Breeze while in the car,or 4BH when I’m volunteering in the RSPCA laundry room

5 Likes

I must admit in the past few weeks ive gone away from radio to Spotify more.

Infact apart from some tests of rds and stuff I dont really listen all that much anymore.

Its sad

3 Likes

I still find Spotify bland and a bit soul-less… it’s the whole package of news, info, weather and announcing on radio that keeps me coming back, even if the music is repetitive (though still mostly somewhat listenable).

6 Likes

Yeah but spotify has this now with AI DJ and the daily commute playlist with news, weather and current affairs plus music

3 Likes

I have tried that, but didn’t like the (male American) voice and the way radio puts it altogether is still better. And it’s more local.

But I think (AI driven) radio will be the way of the future, where you can customise it right down to almost the last degree.

5 Likes

I find with Spotify if I leave it to work out its own playlist, it ends up playing music I don’t know and so that familiarity factor is lost. Or I can play a playlist I have made, but then it gets repetitive unless I constantly make new playlists. I’m sure the experience can be better if I invest some time into setting it up and making better playlists, but that’s a hell of a lot more effort than turning on the radio and someone else has done it for me.

2 Likes

And the Spotify shuffle algorithms are woeful… I’ve had the same songs repeated in one hour.

3 Likes

The future of radio is national formats with opts for a brief local weather summary. Emphasis on brief.

1 Like

That’s not much different to what we have now really.

1 Like