Random Radio

Have you tried reinstalling the app?

2 Likes

2ST again very weak getting more Triple M Newcastle then 102.9 2ST.

2 Likes

They have some really interesting radios featured on this show.

Episode seven - this one features a radio that includes the 40 channel CB band plus VHF hi and low and UHF. Had twin telescopic antennas.

AM-MW & FM,
CB: 26.965 - 27.405 MHz,
VHF Hi: 144 - 174 MHz,
VHF Lo: 30 - 50 MHz,
UHF: 450 - 512 MHz,

4 Likes

if the government had its way in the 1970s, our FM could have been UHF!

2 Likes

Ah the good old Patrolman. Certain Australian TV DXers received audio from BBC1 back in the early 80s on these humble receivers! Patrolman 50 I think:

5 Likes

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app this morning, and yes, I can now listen to Fox and 3MMM.

4 Likes

The first rule of IT support wins again.

(PEBKAC)

1 Like

That’s a bit harsh, we are not perfect.

2 Likes

Me included- I’ve made that mistake more than most!

3 Likes

I have one of these in storage at home

AM, Shortwave, Analogue TV sound, Aircraft and VHF. good unit, but i only used it for SW and now thats pretty much dead in asia pac in english

9 Likes

According to ACMA’s Draft FYSO 2023-28 released today, an interesting consultation coming up in Q3 2023 (Jul-Sep), which is:

Make a determination of population figures under section 30 of the Broadcasting Services Act

This will account for updated Census data from 2021.

2 Likes

No further known DRM30 or DRM+ trials planned.
But mentions:
making digital radio channel plans for regional DAB+ if a commercial licensee or
national broadcaster has committed to a rollout

3 Likes

Interesting. Could this mean some changes to overlap percentages for example?

2 Likes

Hopefully ARN, SCA, ACE or BOG will proceed with a regional DAB+ roll out in the next 5 years, even if only in the big regional markets to start with.

1 Like

The fact you have 2HD looking for an FM conversion rather than pushing for DAB in a market as big as Newcastle is indicative - I think they are all just happy with all getting on to FM, and then accepting that if people are looking for choice beyond that, they’ll probably go to web streaming.

I don’t think there’s much room otherwise - the audiences for linear radio are falling, so unless the Government bails them out and funds conversions or something as a regional equalisation measure, there’s just no reason to bother.

4 Likes

Yes, there would need to be fed gov subsidies for a regional DAB+ rollout to work IMO. The problem is that if the ABC are not interested , then it probably won’t happen.

1 Like

Even though it’s a Saturday, have any radio stations had any April Fools jokes?

2 Likes

I remember one April Fool’s Day, JJJ announced that they were repositioning to all hip hop. They played all hip hop in the morning. This was in the early 2000s from memory…now it’s not too far from the truth!

4 Likes

I recall back in the late 90s ROX FM in Port Macquarie tried telling listeners that local schools were being closed for the day (when they were supposed to be open) and when the prank was revealed, they had a lot of upset parents ring up about all the inconvenience that caused.

Not really a good idea for a prank.

6 Likes

Last week I think it was, it was bought up in the radio history thread about ARN Sydney moving studios & questions were asked about where & if it was real.

I’m not sure I’m allowed to tell much, even though I know, but the studio move is real, they’ve found a suitable location & a new lease has been signed with studio build expected to begin soon.

They will not be moving into the Sydney CBD as some suggested they should/would, is about all I can say at the moment, I know the exact location, but am not in a position to say or expand on it any further at this moment.

7 Likes