Random Radio

Who doesn’t want 4 90’s stations?

2 Likes

New York metropolitan area alone has a population of 20m. That’s almost as much as we have on our entire country.

2 Likes

i get that, but sureley some of the formats on air in NYC or London could work in australia

2 Likes

as a secondary DAB station, possibly. I share your frustation that the mix of DAB stations are mostly just variants of existing analogue formats.

4 Likes

I agree with you.

But I’d just be happy with a soft AC and a proper rock station (like Rebel) on FM in Brisbane for example. Having to rely on fringe stations for such basic formats in a major metro market inducates a complete failure of the regulatory environment.

There isn’t a proper full time rock station on FM in Sydney or Melbourne and that’s a complete joke too.

The country doesn’t have a BBC R2 format despite R2 being the most listened to station in western Europe.

I could go on, but it’s depressing…

In Australia we don’t even have the mainstream formats covered, let alone niche formats.

3 Likes

#WorldRadioDay

3 Likes

This is the studio of NOW FM Moree. Australia’s oldest regional Commercial FM radio station.

NOW FM has launched the broadcast careers of countless people :studio_microphone::radio:

We need our next breakfast jock so if you have raw talent and a desire to get your broadcasting career off to a great start please e-mail me some audio and a resume to pd@now983.com.au

Goodluck :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

I have always wondered - does NowFM occupy the entire building there in Moree? (Apart from the retail beneath?)

The building looks huge.

2 Likes

I enjoyed this article and thought it might interest some on here as it talks about a lot of the topics we ponder, such as gaps in radio formats and the problems with the streaming experience in particular.

Although it comes from a US perspective, I was surprised at some of the common themes. Even down to sports betting formats taking over AM and not being concerned about low ratings!

3 Likes

Yep, the entire upstairs is Moree Broadcasting 2VM and NOW FM

5 Likes

Have spent many many hours in that building :blush:

3 Likes

Wow that building is huge. How many studios for just the two stations?

2 Likes

Not as big as the old NRTV building in Coffs Harbour, which houses just the two SCA stations and associated staff. My understanding is not much of the building is being used.

4 Likes

The 2RE FM / MAX FM building is big too, it’s apparently in the old ECN-8 TV building in Taree.

12 Cowper St

2 Likes

I’d need to live up the top of Mount Dowe to make it work for me climate wise :smiley:

1 Like

We Do have Air-Con & it works well :smiley:

4 Likes

Got a heads up from Macarthur Storm Chasers Facebook page.

The C91.3 tower at Razorback Range has been Struck by Lightning and it has taken C91.3 off air.

Also 88.3 WS Fm i Camden translator is also off air,. I am thinking probably more a storm related power outage as C91.3 and WS are on different towers a couple of km’s apart. How likely would it be both towers getting struck?

I am on my way back home from work and will check to see if Sydney SW tv channels are still on air.

From a dxing point, a very weak News Radio being received on 91.3.

6 Likes

Update Sydney SW tv Razorback is also off air.
My hunch is it is a massive power outage at Razorback.

@RFBurns giving you the heads up.
Does the TXA Razorback site have backup power in the case of mass power outages ?

4 Likes

91.3 is back on the air on a backup I assume.
88.3, 100.3 is still off air

2 Likes

The backup generator at the C91.3 site didn’t start, so the Razorback DTV & Picton DTV are off too, TXA don’t look after that, it’s WIN/BAI’s generator.
TXA have other troubles too, I’ve been at work since the storm hit, Artarmon tower got a big hit of lightning too, SCA have had to go to Gore Hill due to equipment damage at Artarmon, & we’ve lost lots of system controls & other things, all of the other Radio & DTV transmitters seems to be okay though.

4 Likes