Random Radio

:+1:
I had another look at 102.9 on the SDR & compared current signal to 92.5 Music FM, which is usually the weakest signal from the same transmitter location.
Currently 102.9 is much weaker than 92.5.
Good call @Ant5476

4 Likes

Yes- more of us should resign from the keyboard army and actually contact the responsible party. Guilty as charged.

Though the one time I contacted a radio station about a technical matter (Real FM, regarding reception of its new Kandos translator) it basically fell on deaf ears.

3 Likes

The last time it happened when I rang up it got resolved quite promptly so I am confident the same will happen again. Would be very interesting to see what is going on, are they using an old transmitter that is on it’s way out, and is suffering from reoccurring faults?

There receptionist has been quite helpful and hasn’t dismissed me for being way outside of their licence area.

It is a pity Grant broadcasters don’t have someone on this forum like @RFBurns

4 Likes

My contact with radio stations has been limited too but when I have the responses have been limited. Although when the contact goes to issues such as reception/people being able to hear their service you’d like to think they might be a little more proactive at addressing it, moreso than the generic enquiries.

5 Likes

I have also found 2LT / Move fm’s receptionist very helpful too when I have reported outages caused by lightning strikes at Wentworth Falls that they weren’t aware off.

Both have acted as gatekeepers, never letting me speak to the tech, but they have passed on the information and the issue has been resolved.

4 Likes

Yeah, in fairness my email was to report reception of 97.9 Real FM down in Oatley, basically to let them know it’s getting out well. The receptionist/PA probably rolled their eyes…a SWR FM percentage of the population (99.9%) is at best ambivalent to DXing; at worst they think you’re a nutter.

Actually I did send one other email- to the operator of the pop up Randwick Racecourse drive in, to let them know that their 91.6 was making it into Oatley. They simply confirmed it was their transmission.

5 Likes

That’s been my experience too, if I ring, reception knows nothing, if I email, i dont usually hear back.

4 Likes

One good thing with the internet is I was a radio nerd way before the internet, now as an adult I am glad I found some pals in this forum. Most of my friends made fun of me with my obsession when going on an outing I had my pocket radio to test the reception.

4 Likes

Was working up around Hornsby, and Berowra today, so tuned the radio to 102.9.

It was either Triple M Newcastle or the noise floor, no hint of 2ST except for one location that had good LOS to the south.

Normally 2ST dominates with Triple M Newcastle only received with LOS to the north and a blocked path to the south.

4 Likes

That’s because the tech is a contract technician, he has his own broadcast tech business & works for a number of radio stations, he’s not an employee of 2LT/MoveFM.

I know him quite well, he’s also the tech for 2OOO FM, & TAB/Sky Racing Radio, West of the Blue Mountains, & I think he might also be the tech for ARN’s 96.1 CADA & WSFM Western Sydney translators?
His office/workshop is at Faulconbridge.

6 Likes

So with the demise of 4KQ and more recently Smooth 80s in Brisbane I find I need to replace two presets on the car radio…

I did a scan of DAB and I’m struggling to find something to replace them with!

Thinking I’ll have to promote River 94.9 back to presets and Mix Sunshine Coast. I had dropped River about a year ago.

Currently have Smooth, 4BH, Easy 80s, KIIS 80s, Triple M 80s, Triple M Classic Rock, Breeze FM, Rebel FM, 99.7 Bridge, Radio National and 90s Soft Pop (which I replaced 4KQ with but has been hanging by a thread).

6 Likes

Maybe 100.3 Bay FM & 101.1 Radio Logan could be good replacements for your car radio presets to 4KQ & Smooth 80s. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I can’t listen to 101FM Logan until they fix their awful sound quality. It’s so loud it’s almost distorted (not to mention it bleeds onto adjacent channels) and it’s tiring to listen to. Worst station in SEQ for audio quality by a mile, which is a pity because at certain times of the day the music isn’t bad.

3 Likes

Yes, horrible signal. I also think some of their digital sources are low quality over compressed as well.

2 Likes

Sure are @TV.Cynic, you and @tamago_otoko are spot on. Why would sponsors bother with such a station?

1 Like

If this is he case, gets some screenshots of a spectrum analyser and sent the tech of the station a copy and if nothing is done submit a complaint to the ACMA

2 Likes

There is something I want to share with everyone, rather, something I NEED to share with everyone, and I’m unsure the best place to post it to get the maximum exposure.

Today is R U OK day, and this morning on the Christian O’Connell Show they played audio of a deeply personal discussion between Jack Post and Christian, where Jack spoke openly and honestly about his own post natal depression after his son was born earlier this year. This is gritty, raw and very emotional but it’s something that needs to be shared and hopefully people will realise that they’re not alone. Please take the time to listen.

7 Likes

2ST is back to full strength again tonight.
Received in very noisy stereo as per normal.

Tropo conditions are flat tonight so no enhancement leading to reception. Looks like the techs have fixed the problem what ever it was?

2 Likes

Well done on getting 2ST to fix the issue quickly.

And thanks also to 2ST for recognising the power of the mighty Spy and fixing it so quickly!

3 Likes

I think the signal levels are probably still a little bit below normal, as it is now only just above the noise floor, but tropo conditions are completely flat tonight so that might be contributing.

2 Likes