Random Radio

Yeah the good old days, I heard snippets of 2sm in the late 70s ( I was s bit young), it was a very good informative production even though it was your top 40 station.

3 Likes

From what I read and can remember, in the late 70s and early 80s 2SM was perhaps the best marketed radio station that Australia had ever seen, even to this day. Think of the denim zip logo, sponsorship of surf competitions (right on point for much of their target market), stunts like putting a jumbo under the harbour bridge (after much anticipation it was an elephant from Taronga Zoo) or paying the bridge toll in the morning, playing new Australian music, involvement in racing at Oran Park (again on-point for the target market), Australian recorded jingles (the likes of Mark Hunter), Rocktober, disc jockeys that were personalities, free concerts in the city’s parklands and clever ads on TV (“you have a remarkable mouth”). Some of this was taken from overseas (remarkable mouth) but most originated from within Australia (the demin zip logo and Rocktober). There were some good thinkers at the station.

But when I listen to old air-checks and other promotions on YouTube I am reminded that they played over 12 minutes of ads an hour and it was unusual to hear two songs in a row (unless it was the top of the hour). The station sounded very cluttered. They certainly played music like AC/DC but that could have been followed by Judy Collins’ “Send in the Clowns”.

Mind you, until mid-1978 their only competition was 2UW so life is different with limited competition.

By 1984, as the Rock of the 80s, the station was very different and it rated a 10.1. The music was 100% Top 40 pop and rock hits and the clutter was gone.

The high rating 2SM of the late 70s was quite a cluttered sound, but brilliantly marketed.

8 Likes

the inane chatter on radio is a turn off. I have been driving to work so i have had time to hear both breakfast and drive and honestly, it’s shocking. I don’t want to hear, how many times you toileted your kid last night or how “divine your roast was for dinner”

Give me Music, Traffic and sport. thats it.

the only things radio have going for it is 2 things

1 - it’s local. (or it should be). i should be able to tune in and not feel like im out of the loop because they are talking about Blacktown rather than Broadmeadows. I should get local news and traffic, and

2 - its immediate. When news breaks radio is still the best source of info. This was proven with the death of HRH Prince Philip.

otherwise, you have no USP and your competing with thousands of other stations worldwide, all streaming

6 Likes

The guy I work with wants the radio on during the day,not me😕
I want to play my own music,no ads ,of course you have to pay for Spotify to have no ads
Or I can play the songs that I have stored on my iPhone

1 Like

I would be interested to get your thoughts on my programme. I am painfully aware that I need to provide a point of difference to the streaming services. My strength is curated music with juxtapositions that the algorithms don’t think of. ‘Playing the songs that the algorithms don’t’ is a tagline that I’ll be using more often.

Talk breaks are usually simple but add commentary where appropriate. I’m not naturally loquacious or garrulous. I give weather and traffic updates, too.

Spotify is great for discovering music in a particular genre, for example start a playlist with Roxy Music and it will often suggest a relatively obscure new wave track. I do this myself when I want pure music discovery, mainly when driving. It doesn’t mix genres that well though, and their curated playlists are pretty safe and boring.

This week’s log:

Soulja Boy- Crank That (Soulja Boy) [Wrong song]

Sound Unlimited- One More From The City

Ian Dury & The Blockheads- Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick

Joan Jett (Barbusters)- Light Of Day

Patty Smyth- Love’s Got A Line On You

Jenny Morris- She Has To Be Loved

The Silencers- Painted Moon (Blues Mix)

Red Rider- Lunatic Fringe

Lindsey Buckingham- Go Insane

The Clash- This Is Radio Clash

The Kinks- Around The Dial

The Smiths- Panic

Australian Crawl- Trouble Spot Rock

Zed- Renegade Fighter

Southern Sons- We Are One

Foo Fighters- Generator

John Lennon- Power To The People

Electric Hippies- Greedy People

Def Leppard- Armageddon It

Alan Parsons Project- You’re Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned

Edwin Starr- War

SUMO SHUFFLE

Billy Joel- New York State Of Mind

Jebediah- She’s Like A Comet

Shakespear’s Sister- You’re History

Girl Overboard- I Can’t Believe

4 Likes

That often comes through here when personal experiences or preferences of a radio nerd are quoted as to what the general populous wants.

How many of those are expats?

My GF is Fijian Indian and at home we listen to Mirchi FM via Smart Speakers but in the car it’s FM just for sheer convenience.

1 Like

So based on the above, if you’ve got a Number One breakfast show in your market, then there is a good chance you’ll also be Number One as parents/workers get back in the car at 3pm with the radio still locked on the same station.

And exactly in reverse again, as when they get back in the car the next morning, the radio will most likely still be on the same station that it was at 3pm.

Some but definitely not all. Same goes for a lot of the US listeners to BBC 2, some are expats but the majority aren’t.

1 Like

I downloaded the UK radio app and discovered BBC Radio 2 . I can see why some of you other posters on here like this station,interesting mix of music,I don’t mind the new songs they play.If only I had a station like this to listen to while I’m at work during the day😕instead of one of our boring FM stations👎
If I did listen to BBC Radio 2 on my phone during the day at work I would use up all my mobile data very quickly :confused:

2 Likes

I listen every morning at work from about 9am to lunchtime and don’t seem to have any problems with data usage. It’s a great time to listen too because it’s the OJ Borg show from midnight to 3AM in the UK - a lot of music and some fun shows like midnight mastermind. I love it.

I like the mix of older and new music. They seem to be able to pick the new songs I like.

4 Likes

This commentator doesn’t hold back re. the effectiveness of ACMA:

2 Likes

… a couple of points overlooked in this article … the Press Council can only adjudicate on matters concerning its members, but rags like the Guardian Australia which often contains factual errors is not a member so cannot be brought to heel … and the ACMA has also taken the ABC to task on matters of “bad behaviour” such as 4 Corners, but the ABC news department and the people who call themselves journalists just turn their collective noses up and get the ABC’s vast in-house legal department and its corporate spin department to respond with “we respectfully disagree” … what’s good for the goose is good for the gander and for “media accountability” to be effective, it has to cover all media, not just the ones selectively pinpointed as is the case today …

2 Likes

57 posts were split to a new topic: FM Spectrum Replan - Perth

23 posts were split to a new topic: FM Spectrum Replan - General Discussion

Correct @Brianc68. The industry is in a race to the bottom with poor excuses of entertainment.

There’s an art of saying more with less, a real skill. The best announcers are those who practice this. Endless waffle about topics suited to the intelligence of a 12 year old isn’t entertainment that will be sustainable for the industry.

7 Likes

Easy, their intelligence isn’t high. They have an aversion for new topics like they do new music. They hate change, liking their world to be safe, comfortable and recognisable. They are very conservative though most would not admit it.

Look at the covid scare campaign by state premiers. In Qld, so many flocked to back the 'Chook because these people who don’t think for themselves, preferring echo chambers of Facebook, Tiktok, Snapchat etc, thought a government would keep them safe rather than personal responsibility of making your own choices on what keeps you safe.

7 Likes

The guy I usually work with was on leave this week so I wasn’t forced to listen to Triple M yesterday and today and could listen to my own tunes instead.Yay!!:blush:
The ‘Yap yap yap,from the ‘Big Breakfast’ show, just drives me nuts most days👎

6 Likes

And they aren’t versed in the Socratic method either.

Why are they like this?

1 Like