Random Radio

I can hear a station on 88.0 where my son lives at Camira which plays country music and seems to originate from some where up north. Does anyone know where this station transmits from? Where I live at Slacks Creek the only station I can get on that frequency is Tourist radio from Springwood.

Iā€™d say it would be fairly localā€¦

Those stations are low powered and signals normally donā€™t travel far.

And thereā€™s probably a few of them on 88.0 in Brisbane metro.

For those in Sydney, there is Supercars Australia trackside commentary on 107.9 FM.

Getting partial RDS data on it, someone who can get a stronger signal might be able to get the full data.

Sample recording for those who canā€™t receive it: https://soundcloud.com/mlvd/sdrsharp-20161203-010225z-107900000hz-af-01

I believe thereā€™s been a temporary broadcast for the Sydney 500 for a number of years now (since 2012 at least, possibly earlier), and Iā€™d guess that this year will be the last for this annual broadcast. Unfortunately I canā€™t receive any RDS (reception is fairly weak too) and Iā€™m in a location fairly close to where the eventā€™s being held as well!

Not sure whatā€™s with them calling it ā€œSupercar TVā€ - is there a video element of this coverage on the big screens or something?

89.5 is also active from Eastern Creek; Iā€™ve noted it whilst scanning for potential E-skip. I think 107.9 is still Move FM, though.

No more My Generation from December 31, Jonesy & Amanda have announced on Instagram.

Itā€™s no surprise given the SCA takeover of Authentic. I guess Jonsey and Amanda were contracted until the end of the year, giving it a bit more of an extended life over the Take 40 etc.

It will be interesting to see what (if anything aside from voice tracked music) replaces it on the SCA regionals.

2 Likes

I really like the new radio app. I got 10gb of mobile data, so I can tune in more regularly.

Here are some of my favourites so far. 2CA, 2GN and 4GR. 2CA & 4GR play some 60s music. They also have reasonable sound quality so I can put through the car stereo.

What are your favourites that have good sound quality?

2MC takes the same log as 4GR, with the difference being that the former is an hour ahead due to daylight savings at this time of year. Itā€™s also an FM station, which is unusual in this day & age for it to have a real ā€˜classic hitsā€™ format, considering that WS hardly plays anything earlier than the 80s these days. Both 2MC & 4GR (along with most other SCA adult stations) will be branded as Triple M from next Thursday, but should maintain its current ā€˜classic hitsā€™ format.

Other SCA stations that take the Classic Hits log are 2WG, 2RG, Mix FM Wide Bay, 5SE & RadioWest.

And yes, I agree that RadioApp is an excellent app for listening to commercial radio stations around Australia online, particularly the Grant stations that are not listed on TuneIn. Plus, you can easily switch between stations on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks TV-Expert. I forgot to mention breeze and rebel fm. The SCA stations seem to be more consistent with quality but have to admit have not listen to all stations though the car stereo.

not should - will.

The closure of Radio Australia shortwave service on January 31 next year marks the end of an era. In the 1990s RA was one of the biggest shortwave broadcasters in the Asia-Pacific region, but two decades of government cost cutting and changes in technology finally took its toll. The ABC is pulling out of SW because it thinks it is outdated technology, but why and how the BBC is maintaining its presence in the region through World Service Radio? I fear the like of China Radio International will fill in the void by taking the SW frequencies vacated by RA.

Are you surprised? Comms Minister, Mitch Fifield doesnā€™t understand media. ABC domestic services in the NT closing too. Disgraceful, total loss of service in regional Australia well beyond flea powered mobile coverage or town translators. Nats asleep for this?

Also, not 2CA and 4GR sharing logs, different owners. 2MC, 2GZ, 2WG, 2RG etc yes.

Included with the solus regional AM conversions, 4WK (Caralis) has applied to convert their Toowoomba AM translator to FM.

Naturally, SCA oppose this with 4GR also on AM.

The smarter move would have been to request an FM translator for 4GR surely? Billā€™s not going to change formats to threaten SCA, heā€™s tried that in Toowoomba, didnā€™t last and despite the inter-generational bungle in Newcastle, still trails SCA there.

This is actually unrelated to the solus conversions, ACMA has just packaged it in the same document.
This is due to the lease on the transmitter site for the in-fill translator not being able to be renewed, with no other suitable site able to be located. Itā€™s essentially a case of convert that translator to FM or it just goes off air.
Given its format, 4AK would be a much more sensible station to convert to FM if they had the choice.

1 Like

What is this ā€œinter generational bungleā€ that youā€™re saying happened in Newcastle?

The ending of long standing breakfast shows on KO & NX that are yet to be matched by similar shares with their replacement shows. KO & NX are overall much closer to the pack than when they were clear #1/2.

Thatā€™s why I wrote ā€˜included withā€™, same as your comment ā€˜just packaged itā€™.

1 Like

I finally got around to downloading the (commercial radio) RadioApp over the weekend;I must say Iā€™m impressed. Itā€™s very intuitive and faithfully recreates the experience of toggling between radio presets through the Favorites option. Song data is available for most stations, too.

For the record, my ā€œpresetsā€ are:

1: The 90s Digital
2: Rebel
3: 2CA
4: 2XL
5: Breeze
6: River

2 Likes

I seem to have better luck with RadioApp than I do with Tunein on my phone - over 4G, Tunein drops out (even at low bitrates), while RadioApp seems to have no issues

TuneIn is still the most comprehensive radio app, but its quality has declined over the years. For example, there are a lot of dead links in the station directory. The odd drop out is experienced even with the buffer set to maximum (30 seconds).

2 Likes