Random Radio

With hipsters going out and communally listening to music on obsolete cassette tapes in laneways, I really would not be surprised if you could get manage to get those trendy morons to listen to an AM music radio station.

3 Likes

A few songs that have just aired on MMM Classic Rock:

ALICE COOPER- Bye Bye Baby
THE ANIMALS- We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
BOOMTOWN RATS- I Don’t Like Mondays

Coincidence, or not?

2 Likes

According to Radioinfo, Commercial Radio Australia announced the new RadioApp at the National Radio Conference in Melbourne this morning, as part of a strategy to make listening on tablets, smartphones and computers much easier. The new app, which will launch in late November, allows you to listen to more than 250 radio stations across Australia, including commercial stations as well as ABC and SBS.
I like the new initiative as it is easier than downloading individual station apps.

1 Like

Interesting that the logo and images being used in both the Radio Info and Radio Today (as well as on the screen at the conference) is of SCA’s “Radio App”. Maybe they’ve done a deal to get it relaunched as the industry app. It makes sense and is better than having competing apps out there.

2 Likes

According to Christian Hull’s Snapchat there a currently renovations being done to the Fox FM on air studios. Not sure what is being done - it shows builders working and sheets covering all the gear, so it looks unlikely to be technical.

Possibly a rebranding “Hit”? Although I thought that the two flagship stations were going to be spared from one after the transitional debacle last year, even though the regionals are/will be transitioning.

River 94.9 are now using this slogan : “You’ll never know what you’ll hear next”

Uh-oh. That’s the mating call of Jack (FM) and Barry the Monkey…

1 Like

At least with River that’s actually true, as opposed to when Triple M used that slogan and I mostly DID know what they were going to play next :slight_smile:

2 Likes

At least it’s a bit more of a “listener centric” slogan… “you never know what you’ll hear next” as opposed to “you never know what we’ll play next” (which is what Triple M used to do).

Drewboy is taking good advice from his PD mate down in The Gong, Deano Kesby.

This video gives a bit of a look at the renovations to the Fox studios. It looks like the main change is the addition of TVs along the wall similar to the 2DayFM studios.

I have joined a new gym in Surry Hills. I joined Anytime Fitness for a year. After my first visit I realised that the only FM radio station I can pick up in the gym is 2SER. I have no idea why that station comes through so clearly and the other stations are just static.

Suffice to say the only music station I can listen to at the gym is 2CH. I now have a very real interest in 2CH’s format and music!

2SER transmits from the top of the UTS building in Ultimo as opposed to most other high-powered FM stations, which transmit from the TV towers at Artarmon/Gore Hill. That would explain why you would get that station so clearly in Surry Hills. :slight_smile:

Is this through AM or DAB+, just out of interest? Personally, I don’t listen to them much, but at the moment, 2CH carries the same music format as heard on Magic in Melbourne & Brisbane, at least during networked programming (from 2pm on weekdays & up to 6pm on weekends). The station is currently up for sale due to Macquarie Media having to divest it due to the ‘2-station rule’, in which they’re keeping 2GB & 2UE.

Despite all the ownership drama that is currently occurring, at least 2CH does offer a music format that is really different to most of the commercial FM stations, especially given that WS is now sounding a bit more like the old Mix 106.5 of the early 2010s.

I am listening to 2CH on AM. I bought a DAB radio five years ago but Surry Hills was one of the suburbs where digital radio could not be heard. The portable radio has since broken. I hesitate to buy DAB again until I am sure I can hear it in postcode 2010.

I don’t normally listen to 2CH for any great lengths of time but now I will be tuned in.

And thanks for the info on the 2SER transmitter. That makes sense.

I know they have put some infill repeaters for dab. This includes Redfern station and Sydney tower. So in theory you should get commercial dab reception at Surry Hills. You could go to a shop with money back perIod to test it first.

2 Likes

The ACMA have not updated their Broadcasting or Transmitter lists for months now…

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/TV-Radio/Television/Lists-of-broadcasters/list-of-licensed-broadcasting-transmitters

I always kept an eye out for the latest Excel file to see what new transmitters had been licensed, it was always updated every month, but hasn’t been updated since May :disappointed:

Yes, I noticed that when I tried to look up the licence details for the temporary broadcast at Eastern Creek over the weekend, which used 89.5 MHz. I was getting a 1-2 bar signal here at home. The Radcomms register is up to date, though.

In relation to hatdj’s post here ( TV History ) regarding FM stations that are rebroadcasted on AM.

In Exmouth, WA, RED FM is heard on 747am.
Whilst technically it’s a satellite station, I think every other RED FM signal is on FM however.

From memory there are a couple of licensed Rebel and Breeze repeaters on 1611 and 1620 AM - not sure if they’re on air though?