Random Radio

6pr have a new TV commercial out and afternoon announcer Peter Bell is featured in the add,unfortunately Peter left 6pr last week to take up new role as breakfast host on the abc . whoops!!!

This is Macquarie Media, their whole radio ownership is a balls up. Double balls up with Fairfax majority shareholder.

It SEEMS like geoblocking on American radio stations is no longer…?

Tonight I was able to stream a number of stations from the US on TuneIn or iHeart Radio without needing a VPN.

Has anyone else noticed this or heard of anything on this?

Geoblocking seems the same as usual at the moment. AFAIK iHeart stations have never been geoblocked and Tune in has some stations that are not geoblocked.

1 Like

Best Australian Rock Station ?

B-Rock
Rebel FM
Power100
Triple M FM
Triple M Modern
Triple M Classic
Others

I would say Rebel although I’ve never listened to BRock. Triple M Classic Rock is ok but Triple M FM aren’t even in the race IMHO

1 Like

Listening to Magic 1170 vs Magic Digital is the same feed? In my car radio during the networking hours, I think the AM might sound better than the Digital version. It is just lacking stereo. Could it be the same feed but processed better for am radio? I should give feedback to digital radio plus website that the ads claims areads misleading on better sound aspect :grinning:.

I don’t think they make claims about BETTER sound, they just say “digital sound quality”, which I guess can be interpreted to mean static and interefernce free reception, but not necessarily BETTER sound quality.

1 Like

You got me. Did not read the fine print. I swear they said it was CD quality in the old days :grinning:.

Anyway , the sound quality has been dropping since the launch of digital radio (In Sydney). 2ue , 2ch used to sound great (consistently). I remembered Triple M classic rock use to sound better, most of the additional stations also have all gone backwards in sound quality.

I think Triple M and 2day FM, smooth / Nova about the. same, with JJJ and ABC classic the same too. If not slightly backwards . However, you may as well listen to them on FM. ABC grandstand horrible.

Probably the only station to improve is 2sm. It use to sound like a telephone line. Now its 64 bit mono.:grinning:.

Yeah, I think they did try to claim CD sound quality early on.

And yes, sound quality wise, it has generally gone backwards.

Like digital TV, they seem to think quantity is better than quality, more stations crammed into the same space.

1 Like

I agree. In the early days of Digital TV, it was “DVD quality” pictures as the claim…the picture quality of many SD channels look like a compressed YouTube video these days.

Same deal with Digital Radio, although I don’t think it ever really had true CD sound quality. Maybe on par/better than FM sound quality at the very best.

1 Like

An interesting article by Brad March on Radio Today about the differences between Sydney & Melbourne breakfast radio:

Perhaps the most interesting part of the article is this comment by Dave Cameron, SCA’s Head of National Content & Development:

It’s a broad sweeping statement, but having worked and witnessed successful shows over long periods of time in both cities I’d generalise Melbourne as having more of a comedic community centre of content, Sydney more of a strongly opinionated, sometimes outrageous, often noisy approach that can create controversy to cut through

This probably proves that Melbourne radio tends to have a relative more laid-back feel than Sydney radio.

and why KIIS is going to go further down the gurglar if they network Kyle and Henderson into 101.1 breakfast.

2 Likes

Remember when Perths 6ix become The Eagle and the breakfast show was called the morning zoo with Jeff Warden and a couple other people can someone help with those names

Arno and the Morning Crew on RTL Radio in Germany and some neighbouring countries has nine on-air members. That’s the biggest Breakfast team I’ve heard of.

http://www.rtlradio.de/programm/arno-und-die-morgencrew

1 Like

If there is no Sunshine Coast thread, will ask the question here, are the Mix/Sea FM translators on air for Noosa Shire? I notice a mid Sep licence on the RadCom database.

No they are not on air

1 Like

So you have bought the 2CH licence from Macquarie Radio. What would you do with it?

I would rename the station Double X and give it the slogan “The Rock of the 70s”. I would go to the following website: http://top100singles.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/amr-top-singles-of-1977.html
And create a playlist of the Top 50 songs from 1970 to 1979. I would program the station to play the 70s hits in chucks of non-stop 25 minute blocks of music with news on the hour (from the Super Radio Network or Macquarie) . I am too young to remember the 70s but I know that so few of these songs get airplay on the FM stations.

“The way that you do it” by Pussyfoot
"That’s rock and roll" by Shaun Cassidy
"Goosebumps" by Christie Allen
"We do it" by R and J Stone
"S S S Single bed" by Fox

Marketing would consist of a few key billboards with the 70s songs featured that are not heard on other stations.

You get the idea. Grab a chuck of the over 50s market - from the unemployed to those earning over $100 000 a year - and do some damage to smooth, WSFM and maybe even Triple M.

Smash out the 70s music on 1170 and digital. People will put up with AM quality music if they cannot hear that music anywhere else. It’d be retro but I think it would work.

Any other ideas for a frequency that is looking for a new owner?

2 Likes

I’ve always thought that with the call sign 2CH it should be called Sydney’s Classic Hits.

8 Likes

Is there a chance they could buy 1170 am but no Digital?