Random Radio

I downloaded the UK radio app and discovered BBC Radio 2 . I can see why some of you other posters on here like this station,interesting mix of music,I don’t mind the new songs they play.If only I had a station like this to listen to while I’m at work during the day😕instead of one of our boring FM stations👎
If I did listen to BBC Radio 2 on my phone during the day at work I would use up all my mobile data very quickly :confused:

2 Likes

I listen every morning at work from about 9am to lunchtime and don’t seem to have any problems with data usage. It’s a great time to listen too because it’s the OJ Borg show from midnight to 3AM in the UK - a lot of music and some fun shows like midnight mastermind. I love it.

I like the mix of older and new music. They seem to be able to pick the new songs I like.

4 Likes

This commentator doesn’t hold back re. the effectiveness of ACMA:

2 Likes

… a couple of points overlooked in this article … the Press Council can only adjudicate on matters concerning its members, but rags like the Guardian Australia which often contains factual errors is not a member so cannot be brought to heel … and the ACMA has also taken the ABC to task on matters of “bad behaviour” such as 4 Corners, but the ABC news department and the people who call themselves journalists just turn their collective noses up and get the ABC’s vast in-house legal department and its corporate spin department to respond with “we respectfully disagree” … what’s good for the goose is good for the gander and for “media accountability” to be effective, it has to cover all media, not just the ones selectively pinpointed as is the case today …

2 Likes

57 posts were split to a new topic: FM Spectrum Replan - Perth

23 posts were split to a new topic: FM Spectrum Replan - General Discussion

Correct @Brianc68. The industry is in a race to the bottom with poor excuses of entertainment.

There’s an art of saying more with less, a real skill. The best announcers are those who practice this. Endless waffle about topics suited to the intelligence of a 12 year old isn’t entertainment that will be sustainable for the industry.

7 Likes

Easy, their intelligence isn’t high. They have an aversion for new topics like they do new music. They hate change, liking their world to be safe, comfortable and recognisable. They are very conservative though most would not admit it.

Look at the covid scare campaign by state premiers. In Qld, so many flocked to back the 'Chook because these people who don’t think for themselves, preferring echo chambers of Facebook, Tiktok, Snapchat etc, thought a government would keep them safe rather than personal responsibility of making your own choices on what keeps you safe.

7 Likes

The guy I usually work with was on leave this week so I wasn’t forced to listen to Triple M yesterday and today and could listen to my own tunes instead.Yay!!:blush:
The ‘Yap yap yap,from the ‘Big Breakfast’ show, just drives me nuts most days👎

6 Likes

And they aren’t versed in the Socratic method either.

Why are they like this?

1 Like

It gives me no comfort to see 2UW back at the top of the ratings- in its current form.

1 Like

yeah its about a certain breakfast show they have. I suppose if 2uw remained on the AM band it would have not become a number one station unless it bought Alan & Ray.

1 Like

quite true

1 Like

You would be referring to River 94.9 from Ipswich, which is owned by Grant. The station used to be very adventurous in its music format, providing a clear point of difference to the Brisbane & Toowoomba stations. However, in the last year or so, it has gone quite safe, as its playlist is also being heard on Bay 93.9 in Geelong, 3BA in Ballarat, LAFM in Launceston, 7SD in Scottsdale, 7XS in Queenstown & Mix 104.9 in Darwin.

5 Likes

A very revealing interview about Mal Less and Vic Davies of Club Veg:

I recall it didn’t end well for them, sad.

But wow, they were disappointed they weren’t moved from drive to bfast to take over from Denton and add Amanda Denton.

They were also disappointed their drive show wasn’t networked to other cap city MMMs.

At the same time, Mal says their relationship was drifting apart as he was a new father, is this to Matilda? Fatherly life ruled out the rock star life of late nights and hangovers they used to share (sounds charming).

Also very revealing, Club Veg were approached to host bfast on Nova, turned it down and then Merrick and Rosso were asked. Mal says in the article he regrets this.

Another regret of Mal’s is not doing any TV. I do recall they were regular guests on shows such as 11am, especially after they received notoriety after rating #1 mornings ahead of John Laws.

Now living on the Gold Coast with wife Lisa and daughter Matilda, local TV bulletins on both 7 and 9 are desperate for content, I reckon this is his time for TV.

Especially now that his PM drive time has freed up with Grant Broadcasters’ disgraceful penny pinching direction for Hot Tomato. Saving money, not renewing Mal’s contract late last year despite being the brains that kept HT #1 on Drive whether it be with Moyra Major and Simon Baggs at present or past male co-hosts, Paul Gale or the very long and successful run with Luke Bradnam.

Reminded me of so much from that article, 18 years on. Unusually good journalism from a newspaper writing about radio.

2 Likes

It’s also heard in Hobart on 7HO River on DAB+.

Yes, along with a new callsign of 3BBS.

2 Likes

Back to listening to Triple M again this week :confused:’Yap ,yap ,yap’ (and too many ads)
Occasionally they will discuss something interesting,for instance this morning they were talking about Expo 88 and what do listeners remember about it.
Margaux Parker said she was only 3 in 1988 ,made me feel really old when she said that😊
I remember how much better Brisbane radio was in those days and FM 104(Triple M ) was killing all the other stations in the ratings,was the only commercial FM radio station back then

8 Likes

I just bought a new set of “cans” for listening to the radio. I do like them I can hear my surrounds so it serves its purpose well, all my other earbuds block a lot of the surrounding sounds out. Plus I do miss the 80s, the awesome 80s on SWR will sounds even better with these 80s style on ear headphones :).

2 Likes

Looks nice!
Do they sound good?

I see it has an Comfort adjuster? I assume that loosens/tightens the clamping force on the head? Which is not something I’ve seen before, as only some BOSE headphones are ones that I can tolerate wearing for an extended period of time, as with most other brands, I find they clamp on the head too tightly.

2 Likes