Random Radio

I think you’ve identified the problem with the ABC’s nationwide FM offerings…

2 Likes

Sure. Whatever you say.

2 Likes

Have been skimming through the CBAA’s response to the Future Delivery of Radio Services in Australia consultation (link here).

It’s worth highlighting their support for expanding DAB+ digital radio services while also giving support to trialing and implementing DRM in both the AM and FM band, of which at least the former could certainly benefit a number of rural and remote community licensees (2WEB Bourke and 6FX Fitzroy Crossing come to mind).

There’s also a bit of discussion regarding legislating or regulating to protect open standards and force telecommunication providers to grant non-metered access to radio services, which is something that I note hasn’t been explored in depth in this forum thus far

4 Likes

To my ear it sounds like Move / 2LT have improved the quality of their broadcasts from Wentworth Falls. There is now not a lot a difference between 107.9 and 99.5. However the audio on 107.9 does not sound as good as it did a couple of weeks ago.

3 Likes

The real query to me would be, how do you create a good licensing regime for ‘must-carry’ broadcast services on an IP network?

There’s the natural barrier of spectrum scarcity that creates the need for the radio licensing infrastructure in the first place - but there’s unlimited amounts of internet slots - what justifies giving one group a ‘license’ for such a position over another, when there’s no real world limits.

There hasn’t really been much of an Australian discussion on net-neutrality, with the general perception being that because metered networks have been expensive, unmetered content was always seen as a positive - rather than the means for provider lock-in - especially in the case of first-party content unmetering. I’d be very uneasy about the government creating a class of IP services that needed to be unmetered.

Even the Open Standards component is concerning - because it seems to be describing the opposite - a list of ‘licensed’ services that would get preferential treatment by a requirement that private platforms carry a specific list of privileged content providers.

2 Likes

Time for a rant, lol.

With the changing finally of the SCA Central & Gold Coast station names, SCA has just about completely destroyed the entire network now.
I’ve said it before, while it’s easy to sell advertising with 2 brands (i.e. we’ll give you 2000 spots across the country on Triple M, instead of 2000 spots across the country on Triple M, station A, B, C, *, *, *, X, Y, Z, etc), they have no idea on branding. The Hit network is not bad across the country, but Triple M is widely varied across the country.
You don’t get a Whopper at MacDonalds or a Quarter Pounder at KFC, but who knows what you’ll get when you turn Triple M on in a different location?

I said here somewhere (wish I could find it) about 2-3 years ago, that SCA wouldn’t be as it was in 2-3 years time & wouldn’t exist in about 5 years time.
SCA isn’t like it was 3 years ago now, there’s been many changes (not for the better in my view), they’ve swapped regional TV affiliation from TEN to Nine, sold off SCATen Northern NSW to WIN (again something I called before it happened), sold off all their transmission facilities & transmitters, closed the NOC & are in the process of moving TV Play-out from SCA Canberra to NPC Media in Sydney, networked radio just about everywhere, even if it’s just using the same logs, (not all markets in radio are the same & not all places & people like the same music, but SCA just don’t get that).

SCA have also recently done something (which due to insider info I can’t say what), that I foresee, (if it goes the way I think it’s going to go), will cost SCA a lot of money that they don’t have, & will be the beginning of the end for SCA as a network, & as a result a lot of good people will probably loose their jobs, also resulting the the radio network being broken back up, & sold off at bargain basement prices due to the fact, all stations will need rebranding again (possibly back to what they were), & also that they no longer have any transmission assets & most places now just lease the studio space.
I have no idea what will happen with the SCA TV network though, unless the Government says the Metro networks can buy the regional stations?
Given the current climate for revenue, I don’t see any media companies who could afford to buy the TV network or the radio network as a whole?

End Rant.

12 Likes

I believe it was this post below. :slight_smile:

Since the 75% reach rule has been lifted two years ago, they can buy them. Same for the current rumour of Seven buying Prime.

But back on the topic, it’s amazing to see markets like Wollongong & the Sunshine Coast still maintaining local branding of its local commercial radio stations, whereas most other regional markets, particularly Newcastle, Central Coast & Gold Coast, have/are largely eradicated them, mainly due to SCA owning stations in those markets.

For the most part, commercial regional radio in Australia has become very bland these days as a result of the above. :frowning:

6 Likes

Totally agree. Idiotic exercise in branding and loss of all those local stations’ goodwill.

6 Likes

Hell the metro starions are like that - you don’t know if your going to get music, sport or talkback on the MMM’s anymore. it’s all over the shop so it’s natrual it would extend to the network as well

6 Likes

If SCA was to go under who would pick up the Triple M / Hit network stations?? Grant and SRN??

Canberra would be easy ARN just buys out the remaining 50% and relaunches Hit 104.7 as KIIS 104.7

1 Like

And Gold 106.3, as KIIS and MIX sound a little bit alike.

KIIS may also be a bit too close to KIX Country HPON on 97.5 just over the border in Queanbeyan.

1 Like

I guess this is random radio?

The Newcastle edition of Monopoly came out today, & it has 1 x Triple M 102.9 & 1 x Hit 106.9 Community Chest spaces on it.

Not as honourable to be on it as first thought though, apparently businesses paid to be on the board. Good short term advertising strategy, but both those have very little historical significance & meaning to Newcastle, if it was KO & NX branding, it’d be a different matter?

4 Likes

Good point. It’s the reason I haven’t even switched on 4MMM in about a year - can’t be bothered.

2 Likes

when i set up the favourites in my i30 i didn’t even bother with 4MMM - did MMM Aussie And Classic rock but not the main station

2 Likes

Same. I’ve got Greatest Hits, Aussie and Classic Rock in my presets but not the FM station.

4 Likes

Agreed. Whatever your views on Caralis- I’m certainly no Bill sycophant- at least he’s retained the heritage brands and kept a decent amount of local programming, at least on the s 39 FMs.

It will be interesting to see what transpires from here, if things turn out the way you predict. I think SCA’s finances aren’t in the best shape right now? Sorry, I don’t read that thread.

1 Like

The sad thing is that regional listeners have a choice:

1. Watch your favourite heritage brand slowly slowly be destroyed with garbage mish mash of music and pre-recorded off brand shoes (like BOG FM… think of how great the NewFM brand once was).

2. Or rip it off like a bandaid and at least have some semi decent sounding regional radio stations, announcers, production, programming and prizes, but all under a Triple M or Hit brand (like SCA).

Unless you have a Grants station in town, there’s not much else going on in regional Oz.

3 Likes

I’d have to agree with you re. New FM but at least some of the others still sound decent (Zoo FM, Now FM, Max FM, 2ZZZ) and as I mentioned have a fair amount of local programming. Let’s hope Bill leaves B-Rock alone…

Grants have been dumbing down some of their stations too; 2EC now takes Sydney talkback overnight for example.

3 Likes

Or the Capital Radio Network stations for that matter, which has quite decent music formats across its stations, such as the “Forever Classic” stables (2CA, 2GN, 2XL, 3GG, 6iX) & Eagle/Snow.

Look no further than Wave FM as an example, which used to be a fairly decent adult music station, but is now essentially a Top 40 station.

The beauty about the “Forever Classic” stations is that they don’t take talkback at night (only Ray Hadley on 2GN & 2XL on weekday mornings), nor do they air the AFL/NRL on weekends during either code’s seasons.

2 Likes

You’d have to leave out ZooFM from your list. About 4-5 years ago they were local 6am-6pm weekdays.

Now they’re only local 6-10am weekdays (and still Saturday mornings).

I may need to be corrected, but I think 92.9FM Tamworth would have to be BOG FM’s most local station these days.

2 Likes