Random Mocks

WIN News post-July 1:

Although not 100% perfect, hopefully my attempt (particularly titlecard wise) is reasonably close to what we might actually see on TV in a few months time. Of course I just couldn’t resist including a Nine News watermark coverup! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

35 Likes

Agreed. The Guide to Mocking has been suggested several times, and advice has always been given. If people aren’t willing to improve, their access to post mocks in this thread should be revoked until they can prove that they can improve their quality and skills.

3 Likes

It turns out this may be exactly what we see, if TV Blackbox’s report is correct (see WIN Television - #6898 by KevinPerry)

PS: But I’d expect no cover-ups of 9News branding.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be the first time WIN has used coverups on Nine News though, would it? I have pretty distinct memories of WIN coverups around 2011.

Sorry, I came up with this reply in a hurry. s/

WIN was still using coverups on 9News on 30 June 2016.

I just meant that if the recent TV Blackbox article link posted is correct, the channels will have Nine branding instead of WIN’s traditional rebranding & coverups.

4 Likes

A stab at this spirit on air -

Fade in for a bit, then disappear.

31 Likes

I like it. Very similar to what they were doing right before they switched to Ten.

17 Likes

I can remember watching a VHS in high school that had been taped off WIN soon after aggregation, so no watermark. The logo faded in for about 15 seconds about halfway through each program block, faded out, then did the same after the next break. That reminds me of what you’re suggesting, I’d be all for it.

3 Likes

WIN didn’t have a watermark until the mid 90s around 1995 1996. In the early days they didn’t cover up Nine logos at all. The watermark was small WIN logo with the dots in the top right.

2 Likes

Nice mock!

2 Likes

24 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this reality since 2017

8 Likes

Why?

1 Like
4 Likes

a joke :))

4 Likes

Sunrise Mock - Rebrand with 3 colours

Feedback is appreciated.

10 Likes

I find this new look of Sunrise pretty good.
The sponsor billboard is reminiscent to the Nine sponsor billboard package (2015-present).

3 Likes

I get the concept - the promo videos we have started to see, but there is a lot that still needs to be done.

PLEASE use proper TV guidelines for your design canvas (1080p for your mocks with safe areas) so we can realistically see what it will look like on TV - your sponsor billboard looks crowded! I would avoid typefaces that are Helvetica and Helvetica-related too.
Have a look at current design trends and what other breakfast shows around the world and create your own interpretation, something that can IMPROVE on what Sunrise currently has. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please send this to WIN/Nine. A graphics person there needs to see this excellent work.

2 Likes

I admit to trying and failing at a few mocks in my time here (back in the day) but there comes a time when one needs to realise they can’t make anything good and they need to give it up.

So, coming from someone who can’t design for shit let me pass on this advice to some of the repeat offenders in this topic who think they can design but can’t.

If all you are doing is slapping a logo and some text on a background: don’t post it.

If you use a pre-installed system font: don’t post it.

If your fonts aren’t smooth: dont post it.

If you made it Paint or PowerPoint: don’t post it.

If your logos have white backgrounds because you screenshotted it from Google or Wikipedia: don’t post it.

If you think it is crap then so will everyone else: don’t post it.

If you can’t take criticism or honest feedback (which we saw here recently): don’t post it.

Start by reading the guides others have mentioned. Use the correct software. Take your time and put some effort in to it. Then, if you feel like you have something worth showing off, come here and post it.

Even if you make the best mock in history there will always be someone who doesn’t like it. You can’t please everyone. Accept and learn from their feedback even if you disagree.

13 Likes