Radio Stations - Music Logs

I can see why Triple M don’t rate well with those safe playlists. That would put me asleep. They really need to add some new rock into the mix.
They need to take a leaf from Rebel FM.

5 Likes

My pick is Rebel followed by The Breeze (even though not there). I am sure SWR would be in the top 3. Then 2ue/Magic/3mp.

4 Likes

Well, here’s The Breeze from 2-3pm on Thursday 4th August 2022.

The Stranglers - Skin Deep (1984)
The Weeknd - In Your Eyes (2020)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (1969)
Madonna - Ray Of Light (1998)
Lee Michaels - Do You Know What I Mean (1971)
Traveling Wilburys - Last Night (1988)
Norah Jones - Turn Me On (2002)
The Bangles - Manic Monday (1986)
Rob Thomas - Pieces (2015)
Duran Duran - The Reflex (1984)
Jon English - Hollywood Seven (1976)
Lionel Richie - Do It To Me (1992)

SWR 99.9 - 2-3pm Thursday 4th August 2022

The Jam - Town Called Malice (1982)
Limp Bizkit - Behind Blue Eyes (2003)
Smash Mouth - Can’t Get Enough Of You Baby (1998)
Boy & Bear - Southern Son (2013)
Big Audio Dynamite - The Bottom Line (1985)
Daddy Cool - Come Back Again (1971)
Baby Animals - One Word (1991)
Avril Lavigne - Complicated (2002)
World Party - Ship Of Fools (1986)
Maneskin - Beggin’ (2017, released as a single in 2021 in Australia)
Fiona Apple - Criminal (1996)
Creed - With Arms Wide Open (2000)
Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal (1987)
Amy Shark - Adore (2016)

4 Likes

Thanks @TV-Expert. It confirms my top 3 music stations at that time of day, depending on my mood. These stations cover all genres I enjoy listening to.

4 Likes

Some good playlists in there.

Personally, I think Sydney just edges out with better music, however they are all pretty good including Magic 1278 and 3MP.

KIIS 1065 also has much more energy than KIIS 101.1 and better music. FOX has a good HOT AC playlist and 2DAY FM does well with an AC format.

Smooth FM Sydney playing Tavares - heaven must be missing an angel - that’s a great 70s song too, bizarre that it didn’t also play in Melbourne?

I listened to 2day FM yesterday at this time and heard the Mr Big song (to be with you)…on RDS the text shows"Playing more Mr Big for a better today"then proceeded to do the same with the rest of the artists played.
My only thought was play more of Mr Big’s songs other than one track that’s been flogged to death.

Play “Just take my heart” by Mr Big.There is just no wow moments from all of those logs on comercial radio

Exception to the REBEL log who played “Out to get Me” by GNR (a great example for a wow for me)

5 Likes

Sydney actually has a pretty well defined radio market now; of course most of those playlists are as safe as government bonds. SWR wins by a long shot- and you can easily hear them in most of Sydney too (barring the motorway tunnels).

Rebel and Breeze would, as ever, set the lion amongst the bin chickens. Once again I am miffed that they haven’t tried to rimshot into NW Sydney using a transmitter on the hills around Putty/Colo Heights/St Albans. Perhaps there isn’t a suitable transmitter site in that area?

5 Likes

Reading the trouble Midwest Radio are having, I’m sure a lack of spectrum (ACMA’s perception) is the hurdle for Rebel.

3 Likes

“Oh Yeah,No Way,F**k Off😊
Meaning most of my former work mates,most of them I’ll never see their faces ever again

4 Likes

Play that after Smokie.

5 Likes

Or The Steppers.

6 Likes

I can only play Steppers on the NYE show! Unless I can borrow a donkey for sound effects, that is.

3 Likes

Even though Smooth isn’t as good as it used to be, I think it still has the best playlist of the Sydney commercial FM stations. Definitely very safe, but decent. And, importantly, it doesn’t have annoying chat shows during breakfast / drive.

9 Likes

To celebrate the wonderful life and music of Olivia Newton John, from 20:00 hours tonight (Australian Eastern Standard Time), we’ll be doing a mega special at the fresh mix . com. This was utterly devastating to hear, at least we know she’s resting in peace.

01 - Olivia Newton John - Long live love (1974)
02 - Olivia Newton John - If you love me (let me know) (1975)
03 - John Travolta - You’re the one that I want (with Olivia Newton John) (1978)
04 - Olivia Newton John - Summer nights (with john travolta) (1978)
05 - Olivia Newton John - Hopelessly devoted to you (1978)
06 - Olivia Newton John - A little more love (1978)
07 - Olivia Newton John - Deeper than the night (1979)
08 - Andy Gibb - I can’t help it (duet with Olivia Newton John) (1980)
09 - Electric Light Orchestra - Xanadu (with Olivia Newton John) (1980)
10 - Olivia Newton John - Fools country (1980)
11 - Olivia Newton John - Suddenly (with Cliff Richaed) (1980)
12 - Olivia Newton John - Physical (1981)
13 - Olivia Newton John - Make a move on me (1982)
14 - Olivia Newton John - Carried away (1982)
15 - Olivia Newton John - Heart attack (1982)
16 - Olivia Newton John - Tied up (in promises) (1983)
17 - Olivia Newton John - Twist of fate (1984)
18 - Barry Gibb - Face to face (with Olivia Newton John) (1984)
19 - Olivia Newton John - Soul kiss (1985)
20 - David Foster - The best of me (with Olivia Newton John) (1986)
21 - Olivia Newton John - The rumour (1988)
22 - Cliff Richard - Had to be (with Olivia Newton John) (1996)
23 - Olivia Newton John - I honestly love you (1998 remix) (1998)

5 Likes

With Dame ONJ passing and her growing up in Melbourne, thought it would be interesting to see how the music logs of Melbourne commercial music stations would reflect her songs today.

Stray thoughts and observations:

• 3MMM, Smooth 91.5 and Gold104.3 first off the mark straight after the 6am news (although I know 774 ABC was also early off the mark)
  • Clearly the automated playlists at 3MP and Magic1278 are a bit harder to interrupt when you run on a shoestring budget. Disappointing start for a station staple for both stations.
  • Kudos to 3MP and Smooth 91.5 for playing a few of the other tracks.
  • The Grease megamix is clearly the way to switch off the day
  • Was surprised Physical didn’t get more airplay on stations like Fox, Nova100 and KIIS 101.1
4 Likes

is there really any good new rock that compares to gunners powderfinger inxs midnight oil etc

1 Like

Kingswood, The DMA’s & Gang Of Youths are 3 that I’ve played over the last 12 months that are more than handy Bands (y)

3 Likes

I like Gang Of Youths- Let Me Down Easy but a lot of the new rock is a bit ‘meh’ to my ears. It doesn’t grab you in the way AC/DC or Pink Floyd do.

I came across this one the other day but via Radio Caroline:

Boy she sounds like Pat Benatar.

Radio Caroline play a lot of good modern AOR as well as new tracks from established artists.

2 Likes

I like it! Very Pat Benatar and VERY 80s rock.

I’ve been listening to a bit of Radio Caroline lately too.

I seem to be in a bit of a rock phase myself - lots of Rebel and Radio Caroline.

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to Breeze quite a bit while working from home and must say I’m really enjoying it.

I love how they include some new songs amongst the easy listening/classic hits.

E.g. going from The Weeknd (great song!) to The Groop.

To me it sounds like the radio I was used to growing up in regional QLD with stations like 4MB and 4GY playing “hits and memories”.

12:14 The Groop - Woman You’re Breaking Me
12:10 The Weeknd - Save Your Tears
12:05 John Farnham - Age Of Reason
11:53 Phyllis Nelson - Move Closer
11:50 Kincade - Dreams Are Ten A Penny
11:47 Madonna - Borderline
11:42 One Direction - Steal My Girl
11:39 Billy Joel - The Longest Time
11:32 Shakira - Whenever Wherever
11:27 The Alan Parsons Project - Games People Play
11:23 Bee Gees - Too Much Heaven
11:16 Sophie B Hawkins - As I Lay Me Down
11:13 The Zombies - She’s Not There
11:06 The Beatles - The Long And Winding Road
11:02 Don Henley - Boys Of Summer

@dxnerd note the Alan Parsons Project song!

7 Likes