Radio Stations - Music Logs

Just yesterday apparently.

2 Likes

so what happens when dave gleeson is on or do the regionals have there own show
does the gold coast take brisbanes music during the rush hour do the regionals tyhat have a metro show take metro log

1 Like

The regionals air its own nights program presented by Dave Ferrier, whilst Newcastle, Gold Coast & Hobart air Dave Gleeson’s program that is heard on the metro stations.

2 Likes

And overnights during Luke Bona’s show it’s still one log as usual

2 Likes

A bit off topic, but I was just listening to my 1500 song playlist on shuffle. It’s about 80% ‘classic hits’ ('50s-'80s) and 20% new stuff (mostly indie pop/rock that fits the format). A bit like ‘Sumo FM’ by @dxnerd, except the music is stored on my own hard drive.

Just for fun, I thought I’d do a ‘log’ of the last 20 songs that were played (broken into 5 song chunks for readability). Imagine an FM station that played this much variety :grin:

Blondie - In The Flesh
Elvis Presley - Don’t Be Cruel
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
The Weather Station - Robber
Tears For Fears - Advice for the Young at Heart

Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill
Weyes Blood - Andromeda
Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women
Mitski - Stay Soft
Herman’s Hermits - No Milk Today

Margaret Urlich - Number One (Remember When We Danced All Night)
David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes
Nation of Language - Across That Fine Line
Ozark Mountain Daredevils - Jackie Blue
The Weeknd - Take My Breath

Bread - Lost Without Your Love
Spellling - Boys At School
1927 - That’s When I Think Of You
Japanese Breakfast - Be Sweet
Van Halen - Jamie’s Cryin’

6 Likes

I like it!

4 Likes

I think there is plenty of scope for a station like that; I suppose the closest we get is Coles Radio. Take away the annoying adverts*** and I would listen more often. I would like to have access to IGA in store radio as Bungendore IGA play some great stuff out of left field…I am not sure if this is a central IGA stream, though?

***Admittedly this is the only reason for Coles Radio’s existence, to keep you humming along whilst you buy yet another packet of cereal.

7 Likes

Woke up for a glass of water. Did a quick flick of stations whilst waiting for water to filter, interesting song to stumble in one, Lennon’s Imagine. 1971, quite old for River, fits format.

Followed by the current Elton John sampled remix then back to a female vocal 80’s song that has been remixed/sampled recently.

5 Likes

A look at how the main three commercial stations in the Gold Coast are sounding at the moment.

90.9 Sea FM - Gold Coast, QLD
"The Hits You Love From Then to Now"
Monday 7th March 2022 - 11am-12pm AEST

“That’s What I Want” Lil Nas X
“Don’t Give Up” Chicane / Bryan Adams
“All I Know So Far” Pink
“Diamonds” Rihanna
“Black Magic” Jonasu
“Smooth Criminal” Alien Ant Farm
“Love Tonight” Shouse
“Some Nights” Fun.
“Overpass Graffiti” Ed Sheeran
“Don’t Cha” The Pussycat Dolls
“Fingers Crossed” Lauren Spencer-Smith
“What Lovers Do” Maroon 5 / SZA
“My Heart Goes (La Di Da)” Becky Hill / Topic

92.5 Triple M - Gold Coast, QLD
"Good Times & Greatest Hits"

“Dumb Things” Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls
“Joey” Concrete Blonde
“We Built This City” Starship
“Sex On Fire” Kings Of Leon
“You May Be Right” Billy Joel
“Iris” Goo Goo Dolls
“King Of The Mountain” Midnight Oil
“Bad Habits” Ed Sheeran
“We Belong” Pat Benatar
“Friday I’m In Love” The Cure
“I Want It All” Queen
“Shotgun” George Ezra

102.9 Hot Tomato - Gold Coast, QLD
"The Gold Coast’s Best Music"

“One Kiss” Calvin Harris / Dua Lipa
“My Universe” Coldplay / BTS
“Lego House” Ed Sheeran
“3am” Matchbox 20
“Better Days” Neiked / Mae Muller / Polo G
“Fresh Eyes” Andy Grammer
“Dumb Things” Paul Kelly & The Coloured Girls
“Leave Before You Love Me” Jonas Brothers / Marshmello
“I Gotta Feeling” Black Eyed Peas
“Where Are You Now” Lost Frequencies / Calum Scott
“One Word” Baby Animals
“Anyone” Justin Bieber

2 Likes

No wonder Triple J’s relevance and ratings are continuing to grow - one station that’s looking forward not reliving past glories of 40 years ago.
Commercial radio has researched & tested so far up its own arse it’s lost touch with the commoners

8 Likes

That is why Nova’s playlist is so bad and repetitive, too much resilience on testing that the station has become boring and safe.

Gone are the days of programmers also going off their gut feeling, now it seems to be 100% research and that is why commercial fm has gone downhill so much.

8 Likes

Problem is they’re in the ratings game & unfortunately they have to play that game.

They’re needs to be a better system of measurement hence the broadcast medium is becoming secondary to their streaming platforms.

Free-to-air vs streaming - transitioning like TV

2 Likes

And Triple J most of the time sounds exactly like the Novas and KIISes instead of its original format they had until a few years ago: alternative music. If you think the Gold Coast is bad have a look at Melbourne: out of eight commercial music stations six of them have a predominately oldies format (Triple M, FOX, Gold 104, Smooth 91.5, 3MP and Magic) while the other two Nova and KIIS even though they play some new music they also play “throwbacks” some dating back to the 80s. If you’re looking for new rock music and especially new Australian music (the domain of EON FM and 3XY in the 80s) the only places to hear them are Double J as well as 3RRR and 3PBS.

4 Likes

Apart from community stations such as Fresh / Radio Metro, the only commercial fm station that plays predominantly new music is Eagle fm / Snow fm.

All the remaining CHR formatted stations in Australia have skewed older now targeting 25-54 year old listeners.

Because of this Nova / KIIS and Hit stations are overlapping with Gold / WS. and Smooth.

If you look at the UK, BBC R1, Kiss, Capital exclusively target under 30 listeners with Heart target 25-54 where Nova, Hit and KIIS now sit.

This is where the opportunity for the New station replacing the Edge 96.1 sits, a commercial version of BBC R1. It would fit the gap nicely between Nova and Triple J.
Not another rehash of a RnB / Hip Hop station with a narrow playlist.

7 Likes

Is The Edge changing format? First I’ve heard of it. Then again, I don’t bother to wade through the ARN (and $hit network) threads…

2 Likes

If the rumor mill is correct they will be relaunching with a brand new name and lineup.
It appears they will be narrowing the format even further to 100% RnB and Hip Hop going by some of the articles online.

2 Likes

They tried an all urban format over a decade ago. I haven’t listened in years but last I heard they still skewed urban/rhythmic.

Bring back the 90s alternative rock format for a bit of nostalgia. 9inety6ix.1 with wall to wall ads for Hawkesbury Valley Holden and Kaos nightclub.

6 Likes

Macquarie Street Windsor, not the City! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The thinking behind it in one of the articles was that RnB and Hip Hop is much more popular now then it was then so the station was going to go 100% in that direction.

2 Likes

They’re all pretty average IMO

3 Likes