Cut Copy- Hearts On Fire

Machinations- My Heart’s On Fire
Nick Lowe- Heart Of The City
Pet Shop Boys- Suburbia

Inspector Gadget Theme (gap filler)

1400-1500

Huey Lewis &The News -Hip To Be Square
Adam Ant- Goody Two Shoes
The Rubinoos- Revenge Of The Nerds (Wrong Song)

Kraftwerk- Computer World 2
Tina Arena- The Machine’s Breaking Down
Metric- Speed The Collapse

Bucks Fizz- Making Your Mind Up (request)

The Reels- Quasimodo’s Dream
Allniters- Love & Affection
The Dugites- In Your Car

Steve Miller Band- Living In The USA
Damn Yankees- High Enough

Sesame Street Theme (gap filler)

Sorry- didn’t get the show off the logger as nobody was around to show me how! Will have to get that sorted, or use dar.fm for next week. Have just unearthed my XHDATA D-318 BT radio and recorder so might use that instead; saves dicking around with webstreams and the logger. So you should have a genuine off air recording for next week.

7 Likes

Some good ones there. Love Suburbia/Pet Shop Boys. You don’t hear that on the radio much in this country anyway.

3 Likes

Another day of Smoothfm’s Old School Disco Party!

M - Pop Muzik is also on that list on that time too.

2 Likes

It’s the Hot Dub Time machine mix on Nova.

1 Like

With the recent change of 94.9 Power FM in Shoalhaven/Southern Highlands going from CHR to Hot AC (taking the 7HO log), I thought I would look at how the Illawarra/Shoalhaven commercial FM stations are sounding these days.

Tuesday 29th September 2020
1-2pm AEST

Wave FM 96.5
"The Illawarra’s Best Music"
Owner: Grant Broadcasters

Zedd / Maren Morris / Grey - The Middle
Justin Bieber / Quavo - Intentions
Fun. - Some Nights
TLC - No Scrubs
Mabel - Don’t Call Me Up
Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then
Kygo / OneRepublic - Lose Somebody
Fergie - Big Girls Don’t Cry
Joel Corry / MNEK - Head & Heart
Marcy Playground - Sex And Candy
Post Malone - Circles

i98FM
"Feel Good"
Owner: WIN

Freya Ridings - Castles
Topic / A7S - Breaking Me
New Radicals - You Get What You Give
Surf Mesa / Emilee - ILY
Powderfinger - (Baby I’ve Got You) On My Mind
Taylor Swift / Brendon Urie - Me!
Jason Derulo - Take You Dancing
Cold Chisel - Khe Sanh
Dua Lipa - Don’t Start Now
Maroon 5 - This Love
Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky
Taio Cruz - Dynamite
Guy Sebastian - Love On Display

94.9 Power FM
"The Shoalhaven & Highlands’ Best Music"
Owner: Grant Broadcasters

Joel Corry / MNEK - Head & Heart
The Chainsmokers / Daya - Don’t Let Me Down
U2 - Vertigo
Maroon 5 - Memories
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)
Taio Cruz - Dynamite
Marshmello / Halsey - Be Kind
Cake - Short Skirt/Long Jacket
Eves Karydas - Complicated
Sam Smith - Stay With Me
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Pink - Leave Me Alone (I’m Lonely)
Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
Hozier - Take Me To Church

Interesting to note that in that particular hour, Power FM was playing more 80s than either Wave or i98.

6 Likes

Strange radio market Wollongong. All 3 stations seem to be targeting the same AC market.

4 Likes

WTF going on here? Surely the audience that would like those tracks right up against each other must be so small? Nevermind that all the stations sound EXACTLY the same.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t get the Wollongong market. As per some other posts in the 2CH thread, it seems that prevailing mindset is the only way for an FM station to make money is to target the younger audience. Ironically , in my opinion this is very old fashion thinking especially i98s roots was a classic hits station back in the 90s.

3 Likes

Grants could do well flipping Wave to classic hits or even a rock format. As you mention everyone seems to think that they should target the same audience because it hypothetically will make the most money. But there can only be one market leader.

4 Likes

Power FM is licenced to Nowra, whereas i98 & Wave FM are licenced to Wollongong. But still, given that all 3 are transmitting out of the same tower, it’s a valid point.

What saddens me the most is that Wollongong used to be diverse with its commercial stations musically, in which Wave FM targeted an older audience than that of i98 & Power FM, due to Power FM actively competing in the Wollongong market as an unofficial 3rd commercial station.

To be fair, a lot of competing regional markets are not nearly as diverse musically as before, especially since Hit has skewed older, which make it sound more similar to a rival station that has a similar music format.

I agree. If you look at the Wollongong radio ratings over the last few years, i98 is #1 by a long way ahead of Wave FM. When Wave FM targeted an older audience, it was rating more closely behind i98, and was even #1 in late 2002/early 2003.

4 Likes

PLAYLIST 30 SEP 2020:

1300-1400

Francis Dunnery- American Life In The Summertime

Y&T- Summertime Girls

Southern Sons- Lead Me To Water

Superjesus- Stick Together

Spiderbait- Glockenpop

Hummingbirds- Blush

Ratcat- That Aint Bad

Big Audio Dynamite- The Globe

Bob Geldof- The Great Song Of Indifference

David & David- Welcome To The Boomtown

Midnight Oil- Blue Sky Mine

1400-1500

Muppets- Mana Mana Song

Swoop- Apple Eyes

Liz Phair & Material Issue- Tra La La Song (Banana Splits Theme)

Presidents Of The USA- Peaches

Cockroaches- She’s The One

Chesney Hawkes- The One & Only

After The Fire- One Rule For You

Members- Radio (
Mechie Show - 2BBB
PowerPlay)

Dire Straits- Lady Writer

Dire Straits- Six Blade Knife

Dire Straits- Expresso Love

Peter Gabriel- Mercy Street

I’ve also created a FB group for the show. You can hear samples from the show over there.

7 Likes

Kudos for the Chesney Hawkes song.

American Life in the Summertime is a song that immediately takes me back to a place and time.

Welcome to the Boomtown is one of those “FM104” songs for me.

3 Likes

Same for me too.:blush:

3 Likes

I thought you Brisbanites would appreciate ‘Welcome To The Boomtown’.

American Life In The Summertime is such a great radio track; immediately puts me in a good mood whenever I hear it (not often these days).

If you want to hear the show in full you’ll need to request to join my private Facebook group. The boss has let me upload the show but ‘discreetly’, so I’m not publishing the link on a public forum.

2 Likes

I do remember at one stage within the last twenty years Wave fm did have a rock / classic rock format, but they still weren’t able to make any ground on i98 so they went to the current format.
Maybe they could try the Power rock format again.

If you look at the playlists of all the Illawarra region stations, i98, Wave, Power and 2ST there is overlap, but not as much now 2ST has gone to the classic hits format.

Wollongong listeners also have fortuitous reception of the Sydney fm stations in most parts.

Ideally Wollongong should have another community fm radio station that targets the youth, similar to Fresh / Radio Metro. That would shake up the market.

1 Like

Personally, I would rather see Wollongong have a community radio station that targets older listeners, like what Central Coast has with Coast FM. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes- VOX FM are missing an opportunity there. The E-wanging between i98, Wave and Power is worse than ever if those logs are anything to go by.

5 Likes

Yep, or something like what 94.1 on the Gold Coast is would rate its backside off if that’s what’s on offer.

And love that playlist @dxnerd - I’m immediately back to being a 9 year old kid hearing some of those tracks

1 Like

I tried to record the show but it failed again. I will give it a go again next week.

1 Like

Here’s this week Smoothfm’s Old Skool Disco Playlist!

4 Likes