Radio History

I think mid-80s Ford Fairlane and LTD had AM stereo. This was apparently due to the fact they were the Commonwealth cars in Canberra and there was no FM there at the time.

2 Likes

My 1989 Holden Astra SLE has AM Stereo.

By ‘88 2SM had became Lite’n’Boring 1269 so I had migrated to FM.

5 Likes

This one?

images.jpeg-4

8 Likes

Remember the slogan ‘Voxson rocks on’?

Today, so many would consider that creepy with all the publicised abuse by teachers in cars that the media reports so salaciously. Innocent back in the days of the Holden Apollo and not thought twice of by any beyond wishful teenagers and their fantasies.

The VP Commodore was shipped without AM stereo yet my Granddad did some research there was a button combo to press to activate AM stereo. Worked a treat. Eurovox brand.

7 Likes

Yeah I got selected to join other kids for multimedia class in Western Sydney as I had good marks in an exam. Yeah I know probably not allowed these days. Never cross my mind, not to say it never happened back then, I think there always has been strange/sick people in this world. I think those creeps would unfortunately probably find a way even in today’s world. Anyway off topic.

5 Likes

From the same time period and YouTube account as the July 2004 commercial for 2DayFM I mentioned a few days ago, here’s how sister station Triple M were advertising Mick Molloy at the same time:

A rather odd commercial
although probably still not quite as strange as the “Triple M or Life Education?” ad currently running across the nation with that CGI giraffe jamming to Whitesnake!

4 Likes

And since then, Triple M has never changed again.

2 Likes

Nobody thought anything of it in the ‘80s but I doubt any teacher would put themselves in a position where they are alone with students in cars these days.

There were a few occasions where I was driven home or to school activities by teachers, both male and female, in primary and high school. I had this really hot art teacher in year 8 who ended up driving me to a pool for swimming trials because she felt bad that she’d kept the class back and I missed the bus. I wouldn’t have a clue what radio she had in her car as I had other things on my mind. Needless to say the backpack didn’t leave my lap for the entire journey and I got out fairly quickly when we arrived at the pool. Still cringe with embarrassment when I think of that and it happened over 30 years ago.

3 Likes

From TRV, an aircheck of NXFM (now hit106.9) Newcastle from March 2001.

The Newcastle market was more interesting then than what it is now. New FM (by then owned by BOG) went back to a rock format during 2001-02, whilst KOFM (now Triple M) had a “Best Songs of All Time” format & 2HD was a lot more local than it is now which, aside from John Laws in the morning, was local from 6am to Midnight, with a mixture of talkback & classic hits. Ah, those were the days. :slight_smile:

Quite a number of songs played on NX in 2001 would’ve later been heard on KO/MMM & New FM.

The Newcastle radio ratings for Survey 1 of 2001 went as follows:

NXFM: 22.5%
KOFM: 19.4%
2HD: 18.2%
ABC1233: 11.5%
NEWFM: 9.6% (up 2.8% from the previous survey)
JJJ: 5.4%

The ‘Other Stations’ ratings was at 10.2%.

7 Likes

We’re not allowed to, except in very RARE circumstances and executive has to approve it.

5 Likes

Exactly, that’s what has become of it. A few cretins spoiled for all.

1 Like

I’d already had a listen to this when it was first uploaded. NX certainly wasn’t as hot as some of the other Today Network stations at the time. I mean
Celine Dion! I was in Perth at the time and it genuinely sounds like a cross between 92.9 and Mix94.5 (from back then).

3 Likes

Aircheck Songs were played are:
Roachford - Lay Your Love on Me
Coldplay - Yellow
Bachelor Girl - Buses and Trains
Craig David - 7 Days
Deni Hines - That Word (L.O.V.E.)
Wheatus - Teenage Dritbag
Feargal Sharkey - A Good Heart
Sonique - Sky
CĂ©line Dion - That’s The Way It Is
Matchbox 20 - Bent
George Michael - I Want Your Sex
The Corrs - Breatheless
R.E.M. - Losing My Religion

6 Likes

From a Sydney perspective, I reckon some of the songs played (especially Buses and Trains + That’s The Way It Is) during the March 2001 NXFM aircheck were probably more like the type of thing you’d expect to hear on Mix 106.5 than 2DayFM during that time period!

2 Likes

I see we have had the last 7.45am news broadcast. Did they have some kind of tribute or send-off?

2 Likes

ABC Brisbane had a tribute to the departing newsreader but not the bulletin.

The sign off at the end of the bulletin “this has been ABC News”.

3 Likes

After several posts about TVCs, it’s time for some jingle talk! :slight_smile:

I would’ve thought most jingle packages for 2WS (or WSFM as it is now) have been produced in Australia?

One notable exception might be the “Best Songs of All Time” jingles (probably from around the Early 1990s, around FM conversion time?) produced by Thompson Creative which going by a search online, was based in America.

Not sure who produced the current or more recent “I Wanna Double You” jingles for WSFM, but ARN went to Melbourne-based Jingle House for at least some of their stations during the Late 1990s and 2000s.

Not sure about the more recent updated versions, but the original Smooth 95.3/91.5 jingles were produced by London-based Music4.

Either way, I’m not a particular fan of the American (or faux-American) accented voiceovers used on most of the younger skewing stations in Sydney.

Thankfully the older skewing music stations generally stick to Australian accented voiceovers
at least for now.

Probably.

3 Likes

In 2018 ReelWorld “produced” sung jingles for 2Day FM, they had already been used for 102.7 KIIS FM and countless other stations. In my opinion they were the worst ever. Anyway, I had a mess around with them and made a few “artist mash” jingles using them. They didn’t turn out too bad. I think more usable than the originals.

2DayFM-Artist-Jingle-01
2DayFM-Artist-Jingle-02

Please be gentle if you comment on them I’m not a professional producer.

4 Likes

Take me back. What a great playlist

4 Likes

BOG suits the company that purchased NEW FM in 1999, didn’t take their awful management to end the stations 4 and a half years as number one. Where NEW FM was averaging 28.4%

3 Likes