ABC Local Radio

Shelley Lloyd is for me the voice of ABC Radio news in Queensland - what a loss.

5 Likes

And maybe, outside of Gerry Collins or Quentin Hull, was the the most well known voice on 4QR.

2 Likes

And now Victoria’s turn.

I’m still not seeing how this saves money. Someone still has to read the rest of the morning’s bulletins.

4 Likes

Last day for Shelly Lloyd - ABC Brisbane/Queensland

4 Likes

Is it just me and my radio nerd-ness, or is her radio tuned to 4KQ not 4QR?

5 Likes

Shelly was given a send off this morning, though the ‘highlights’ package while ok for a radio newsreader was a bit lacklustre.

Her last read coincided with the final 7:45 am ABC news bulletin as well.

2 Likes

This promo for ABC Brisbane breakfast is running multiple times a day on ABC TV, seemingly in every break between programs. It also seems to be going to air in regional Queensland where they are pointless.

Note - strange radio pres-sets for Brisbane car radio.

6 Likes

Not really pointless for regional Qld as ABC Brisbane 612 is on digital TV throughout Queensland I believe.

2 Likes

Indeed, “Channel 25 on your digital TV” as the announcers say ad nauseam.

3 Likes

ABC has the ability to show different content to regional stations and previously they have not broadcast promos for Brisbane regionally. This TVC does not mention using digital TV to listen. It is all about waking up in Brisbane to the ABC breakfast show.

1 Like

ABC Gippsland named Victorian Media Outlet of the Year for its bushfire coverage

ABC Gippsland has been named Media Outlet of the Year at the Victorian Rural Press Club awards for its bushfire coverage.

The judges said: “ABC Gippsland’s entry showed just why local radio is so important. The 2020 fire season will be remembered as brutal and long.

“As an emergency broadcaster, ABC Gippsland’s constant reporting throughout the long campaign provided information that helped maintain community safety under extreme conditions.

“Their journalists showed a deep commitment to providing news on all available platforms, a great example of modern reporting.”

Gippsland reporter Riordan Davis was named Young Journalist of the Year.

“Davis possesses all the attributes of an outstanding journalist, with their reporting monitoring power, influence and big business through their investigative piece of seismic testing,” the judges said.

“They provided a diverse range of informative content about matters of importance, proving they were in tune to elements which made great reporting, such as timeliness, exclusivity, prominence, relevance and scale.”

Other ABC winners included:

• ABC Central Victoria’s Sian Gard and Beth Gibson, who shared the prize for Best Sports Story
  • Gippsland’s Mim Cook for Best Radio News story
  • Charlotte King and Andy Burns from ABC Ballarat for Best TV news story
  • Daniel Miles from ABC South West Vic for Best News Online story
  • Jess Davis. who two awards, Best Radio Feature Story for Background Briefing and Best TV Feature Story for ABC Landline
1 Like

You’re lucky you’re not in Melbourne / Victoria where the Virginia Trioli “These Boots Are Made For Walking” promo is on endlessly. You want to throw something at the TV. It’s an old one too… been playing for nearly a year… with her wandering around Southbank with no mask and fist bumping people.

Nothing against her. But ABC radio really needs to do more than one TV promo if they’re going to be on a such ridiculously high number of playings per day.

5 Likes

It might not mention using digital TV to listen, but people are actually watching the promo on a digital TV… Many of them will join the dots. If ABC has the ability to put different content onto regional then I assume it’s a deliberate move to promote the Brisbane breakfast show in the regions.

1 Like

I think it is either laziness or not enough resources to bother with the regional feed. Surely ABC would want its audience tuning in to their local stations.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, ABC-TV did used to have separate “capital city” and “regional” feeds for the main channel but these ended a while ago (probably due to budget cuts) in favour of one feed across the entire state/territory.

While I wouldn’t necessarily agree with this (I’m sure some generic “Your local ABC Radio station” promos could be played instead), it wouldn’t be hard to imagine “Well capital city ABC radio is available via digital TV, so that’s a good enough excuse to have the promos run everywhere” being the reason why they air capital city ABC Radio promos on TV across the entire state/territory.

1 Like

In a state as decentralised as Queensland you’d think ABC could find something other than its Brisbane breakfast show to promote across the state. The number of promos is quite excessive. What about RN or ABC Classic or ABC News ABC’s radio news service in general or focus more on the App rather than an afterthought at the end of the promo.

3 Likes

Yes ABC TV did indeed have separate regional and metropolitan feeds, that was mainly for cricket telecasts in which the ABC shown on their regional channels. It also goes back to the days when they had regional news at 6.55pm. In Victoria they had a separate Gippsland feed for their own regional news. Also in the days before Saturday morning programmes each ABC station had their own local callsign test pattern. These feeds presumably ended when ABC TV cricket telecasts ended in December 1991.

There is/was a separate regional feed with digital television. In the recent past when there was a advert for ABC 612 Brisbane shown on ABQ 2 the regional stations would get a different promo.

The regional stations still have a different transport stream ID on their multiplex compared to Brisbane.

2 Likes

Matt Preston is hosting ABC Melbourne breakfast from Monday, September 21, while Sammy J is on non-ratings break. Matt would be on the air “for a few weeks”.
Ali Moore is filling in for Virginia Trioli on mornings on the same day.

4 Likes

Agree they could definitely promote RN or Double J etc in regional Qld instead of ABC Brisbane. But being originally from regional Queensland myself I think there is a market for the people in regional areas who are keen to be more in touch with the capital. Part of that is because Queensland is so decentralised. The Brisbane breakfast show is a different “type” of show than those provided in the regional areas and some people don’t connect with the ABC regional shows. My father lives in regional Qld and listens to RN or NewsRadio rather than the local ABC. I think younger ABC liseners in the regions would connect more with the Brisbane breakfast show than their local show - it’s a whole different vibe.

1 Like